Out In Style

6.5x55SE

All to quick the last day of the Inland season arrived. This morning Conor an myself stood within a short distance of where we started the season on 1st September whilst debating exactly where to do flight our decision was easily made as in the half-light small bunches of Greylag started flighting after a few near misses finally two skiens speed towards use both encouraging Conor to take them well in front like a driven pheasant i was well chuffed to see his single shot fold a Greylag well infront my skien flarred as good as any foreshore Pink's but my trusted 20ga 7/8oz steel combination found its mark twice. Greylag was flighting strong but on a wide front with young Conor sprinting left an right only for the Geese to flying over the spot he'd just run from my old legs along with experience stayed put with 5 Grey's down i called Conor let's go as Conor got within a few yards a silent skien of a dozen Grey's appeared Conor's shot again folded a Greylag which flared the rest around me eager wanting to try a New homeload and type of shot out at a Decent Goose i worked the bolt slipped my Special in behind my trusted Steel first shot head back  second shot approximately 45-50 yd WOW my special stuffed the Goose so much even said what ever did you shoot that with !!!!!!!

Inspite of plenty more Geese flighting gun's was slipped let's both end the Geese on kills. To finally end the season i took Conor to try for Duck at a totally different location. Having settled beside the river Conor was insistent that Geese calling down the river was Grey's not the tame Geese well i was proven wrong when 150+ Greylag jumped sorted themselves into a ragged noisy bunch and came at us 35yrd + high again i backed my steel with a special instructing Conor make sure you shoot at the right side and infront giving the GO Conor folds a Goose in the mayhem my Steel finds its mark picking another good 50 yarder my special again well an truly stuff's a Goose having heard a almighty spash behind me i knew Conor had at least two but joy oh joy he'd got a triple. That's it I'm definitely not shooting at any more Geese so we made our way back to the truck stopping at another point for a Duck we'd let several lots of Geese go on the walk back. As we stood reflecting the season in half light out of the last of the Orange glow came two chuntering shapes now having myself been a teenage many many years ago i knew my " i would not " comment would fall on deaf ears sure enough Conor raised his gun left hand shape folds the remaining Goose trys to climb an flare backwards it to folds both thumping down yards infront of us even i managed a Yee haaa not to be out done a Snipe disturbed by Conor's shot fell to my last shot of the Inland season again Conor had many first's his list of achieving getting shorter i have another 20 days fingers crossed the odd Duck or even a Goose might get unlucky and fly into my shot.

9 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

All to quick the last day of the Inland season arrived. This morning Conor an myself stood within a short distance of where we started the season on 1st September whilst debating exactly where to do flight our decision was easily made as in the half-light small bunches of Greylag started flighting after a few near misses finally two skiens speed towards use both encouraging Conor to take them well in front like a driven pheasant i was well chuffed to see his single shot fold a Greylag well infront my skien flarred as good as any foreshore Pink's but my trusted 20ga 7/8oz steel combination found its mark twice. Greylag was flighting strong but on a wide front with young Conor sprinting left an right only for the Geese to flying over the spot he'd just run from my old legs along with experience stayed put with 5 Grey's down i called Conor let's go as Conor got within a few yards a silent skien of a dozen Grey's appeared Conor's shot again folded a Greylag which flared the rest around me eager wanting to try a New homeload and type of shot out at a Decent Goose i worked the bolt slipped my Special in behind my trusted Steel first shot head back  second shot approximately 45-50 yd WOW my special stuffed the Goose so much even said what ever did you shoot that with !!!!!!!

Inspite of plenty more Geese flighting gun's was slipped let's both end the Geese on kills. To finally end the season i took Conor to try for Duck at a totally different location. Having settled beside the river Conor was insistent that Geese calling down the river was Grey's not the tame Geese well i was proven wrong when 150+ Greylag jumped sorted themselves into a ragged noisy bunch and came at us 35yrd + high again i backed my steel with a special instructing Conor make sure you shoot at the right side and infront giving the GO Conor folds a Goose in the mayhem my Steel finds its mark picking another good 50 yarder my special again well an truly stuff's a Goose having heard a almighty spash behind me i knew Conor had at least two but joy oh joy he'd got a triple. That's it I'm definitely not shooting at any more Geese so we made our way back to the truck stopping at another point for a Duck we'd let several lots of Geese go on the walk back. As we stood reflecting the season in half light out of the last of the Orange glow came two chuntering shapes now having myself been a teenage many many years ago i knew my " i would not " comment would fall on deaf ears sure enough Conor raised his gun left hand shape folds the remaining Goose trys to climb an flare backwards it to folds both thumping down yards infront of us even i managed a Yee haaa not to be out done a Snipe disturbed by Conor's shot fell to my last shot of the Inland season again Conor had many first's his list of achieving getting shorter i have another 20 days fingers crossed the odd Duck or even a Goose might get unlucky and fly into my shot.

Nice read yet again mate, well done to you both. :good:

Thank you ALL 👍 whilst i still enjoy my Inland and Foreshore pursuit of Geese an Duck i really enjoy seeing Conor achieving milestones and bringing back memories of my Father watching myself achieving first's etc. Hopefully you all have had a good successful season with the odd first or two 👍

1 hour ago, Continental Shooter said:

great reading as usual and well done to the both of you on your splendid season

what's the magic 7/8 oz load you are shooting now? The 1 oz you suggested earlier this year has been the only one i had in my bag (although slightly adjust to suit the Fiocchi 616 in absence of the CX2000)

cheers, 

Thank you 👍 I was given some TSS 18cc to trial which i have to say was a eye opener BUT as with any type of shot it has to be put in the right place thankfully I've achieved that so far 

On 07/02/2019 at 21:08, 6.5x55SE said:

Thank you 👍 I was given some TSS 18cc to trial which i have to say was a eye opener BUT as with any type of shot it has to be put in the right place thankfully I've achieved that so far 

Nice stuff that one, coupled with a very accurate eye makes a deadly mix👍