MEDICAL REPORT FEE ON FAC RENEWAL

peek-at

1 hour ago, jan8p said:

Indeed.  I'm all for GP checks, because who doesn't want to ensure that to a reasonable extent a license holder is fit to have firearms?

If only life was that simple, see the medical report for what it is, nothing more than a backside covering exercise for the chief constable, or at best a one day MOT and like a car MOT no guarantee that tomorrow it won’t be defective.

Yes the registered GP is supposed to add a flag to you medical records that you own firearms and then engage in ongoing monitoring of you. But given how many applicants are now choosing of being forced to use an alternative GP who will be unable to add the medical marker the process is flawed. Then it can take two weeks plus to get a GP appointment and somebody on the edge could tip over before getting to their GP. Plus will firearms owners now be less likely to seek GP he,p if they know they could lose their firearms by doing so. Has the risk really got less?

Ask yourself will you be all for the checks when they also want a medical report on your partner living with you and a financial record check. All of which they are considering if you read the firearms and explosive working group meeting minutes, a meeting held for the chief Constables.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am pretty sure the GP’s have been required to put a flag on your records for many years before this latest requirement for a report. When you fill in the form you give permission for your GP to be contacted. That is when the flag goes on I believe. If you are stopped for a motoring offence the officer knows before he approaches you that you are a certificate holder as it flags up from DVLA.

22 minutes ago, London Best said:

I am pretty sure the GP’s have been required to put a flag on your records for many years before this latest requirement for a report. When you fill in the form you give permission for your GP to be contacted. That is when the flag goes on I believe. If you are stopped for a motoring offence the officer knows before he approaches you that you are a certificate holder as it flags up from DVLA.

Indeed but in is not contractual with the GP totally at their discretion some engage in the process of adding the flag some do not. Just like some engage in completing the medical report and some do not.

Some are asking for the as suggested a £200 fee to complete the report and to participate in the five years of monitoring. 

until GP contracts are modified to make it part of their job it will continue to be like it is.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

No it doesn't.

It flags up on PNC that you are a firearms certificate holder, but against the person, not any vehicles.  They'd have to check you for them to be aware.

Edited by jan8p

15 minutes ago, jan8p said:

No it doesn't.

It flags up on PNC that you are a firearms certificate holder, but against the person, not any vehicles.  They'd have to check you for them to be aware.

You could be right. I was involved in a check where the police had me identified as a firearm owner from the vehicle reg. But of course, that reg gives them my name.

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

You could be right. I was involved in a check where the police had me identified as a firearm owner from the vehicle reg. But of course, that reg gives them my name.

They would need to run you through PNC or another local system to find out, obviously they would get your name from checking your vehicle.  But firearms certificates (as a matter of course) do not go against vehicles on PNC.

3 hours ago, DavidLH said:

charged £120 by my GP for the health report to accompany a shotgun renewal. Seems exhorbitant - am I correct?

Welcome to the forum and the lotto of GP report costs, GP’s are individual businesses, doing in this instance private work so can charge as much or as little as they like and b***** all we or the shooting organisations can do about it.

Edited by rbrowning2

• 2 years later...