End of Season Near Miss

Perazzishot

Well the season finished at Whitfield for me yesterday. After the 1st drive and a few nice shots taken we lined out for the 2nd drive, 3 single shots 3 kills to start the drive. Then a woodcock which I clipped with the 1st so I swung to finish it off with the 2nd barrel.

I won't ever forget that 2nd shot

shot, the flash the bang and the sharp pain in my thumb and the ringing in my ears.

The pain was probably the fore-end clipping my thumb knuckle as it split off as I still have all my fingers, thumb and eyesight.

Yes I'm very lucky and thankfully have a high hold on my fore-end.

No conclusion to why as yet, barrels being sent to the proof house next week.

No shot blew from the side, no blockage to barrel before the drive started and barrels clear after with no damage anywhere else up the barrel. 20g cartridge 99% ruled out.

Barrel fatigue, or twisted wad are the 2 serious lines of thought. It's a 7 year old Miroku MK38.

Thankfully I was able to continue the drive and the day as my other MK38 was in the truck which was a short walk away!

Nothing I think I have done has contributed to this outcome but we will wait for the proof house for their report!

Stay safe everyone!

IMG_3746.JPG

Edited by Perazzishot
typo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

Thankfully I was able to continue the drive and the day as my other MK38 was in the truck which was a short walk away!

Hope you had time to change your trousers as well, fair play for shaking it off and carrying on not sure if I'd be so keen, if barrel was clear at the start of drive that leaves a stuck wad as front runner, what cartridges were you using? 

took some extreme pressure to cause that ,glad your ok .

the gods were looking down on you that day, looking at the photo you could of ended up with some life changing injuries.

if there was no barrel blockage then possible wrong powder? you see it often with home reloads with  pistol powder loaded into a rifle cartridge but with the large bore of a shotgun takes some doing.

strange that some of the wad only made it as far as the rupture like it had no where to go.

Edited by Remimax
spelling

First of all you are ok...and it is a good thing.

There was probably something at that point of the barrel and then the brake...anyway I think that if there was something wrong on the cartridge (long powder fire) the barrel explosion would happened 15 in. later.

regards

Edited by Sereremo

Wow, that's impressive; thankfully you're still intact with no injuries. Did you have an option to change your brand and type of cartridge or did you carry on with the same? How did the rest of your day go; as in did the incident effect your shooting? I had an acquaintance shooting at Whitfield on Friday.

jeez, what a shock, glad to hear you have still got all your digits, assuming it was debris/ wad in the barrel, Given my total lack of experience i just wondered why the charge would exit through the top, I would have thought there would be less resistance going through the debris

If as you say, barrel was clear, the only reasonable explanation is that your primer fired pushing load foward, atomising your powder and then your powder detonated (possibly delay due to cold or damp) outside of the chamber which will take 50,000 psi and in your barrel which is much thinner and due to the space available all went off at once, rather than burning progressively. Hence explosion. Possibly in combination with a weak crimp which  could contribute as it may not have retarded primer pressure.

Edited by Stonepark

Scary stuff Andy, you are exceptionally lucky the barrels burst through the top and not out the side, had it been otherwise I think you would have been typing this post minus a thumb..

Just out of interest was that the fore end you got replaced at Churchills last year?  I know in the grand scheme of things it is trivial, but if it is the same one then it adds insult to (almost) injury :P 

8 hours ago, grrclark said:

Scary stuff Andy, you are exceptionally lucky the barrels burst through the top and not out the side, had it been otherwise I think you would have been typing this post minus a thumb..

Just out of interest was that the fore end you got replaced at Churchills last year?  I know in the grand scheme of things it is trivial, but if it is the same one then it adds insult to (almost) injury  

Yes mate my new fore-end I'm gutted 😂

It split right on the line my thumb was holding! Strong hands holding in that pressure!

11 hours ago, Scully said:

Wow, that's impressive; thankfully you're still intact with no injuries. Did you have an option to change your brand and type of cartridge or did you carry on with the same? How did the rest of your day go; as in did the incident effect your shooting? I had an acquaintance shooting at Whitfield on Friday.

I sat down for a couple of minutes then went back to the truck for the other MK38 shot the next 4 without a blip, using the same cartridges. I actually ended up shooting better that I was with this gun too. It was the talk of the shoot at Whitfield yesterday I believe!

Also put a ticket on the Euro lottery last night, I woke up to an email this morning to say I had an important message in my National lottery account, indeed I was a winner £2.90 Get in!