I phones in schools

Harnser

28 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I delivered to a local school recently and I witnessed a group of 10+ lads in a group just using their phones . I really wanted to say something like get a life. Not one was speaking to another.

my daughter keeps hers in her bag for emergencies only. I’m not keen on it but it’s her safety walking home.

It's not just schools.

I was in the pub 2 weeks ago, group of about 6 early 20 something all sat in a circle around a table, all with their phones out not speaking to each other.... Sad really,

:shaun:

I just had a driven day and we came back into the shoot room for lunch and the guy next to me was staring at his phone the whole time and never spoke to anyone.  I have my phone with me at all times but at least have the manners to turn it on silent when in company and rarely refer to it unless I know I have someone or something important likely to call.   I repeat

IMPORTANT !!! 

6 minutes ago, stuartc44 said:

I would like to say not that different to what we are all doing, but.......

Commenting on this forum is very different unless you are doing it on a phone whilst in the company of others.

24 minutes ago, shaun4860 said:

It's not just schools.

I was in the pub 2 weeks ago, group of about 6 early 20 something all sat in a circle around a table, all with their phones out not speaking to each other.... Sad really,

It’s true. I hate football but at school I still ran around after one . 

In the pub you should be chatting about your week 

We have a game when we are out as a group. Phones in silent in the middle of the table face down. The first to look buys the next round. 

Obviously those on call or who pre warn are exempt but they will usually join in by leaving theirs on - they are usually the taxi home as well so don’t pay for their drinks all night anyhow  

They’ve just played a blinder at step daughters school. Sneaky ******* were wearing smart watches to circumvent the no phones rule. Friday just gone saw an email sent out banning them at school. We’d warned her they would be getting banned in school before too long but one weekend with her father she bought one anyway and now it’ll be largely obsolete because she has no reason to wear it. 

17 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I just had a driven day and we came back into the shoot room for lunch and the guy next to me was staring at his phone the whole time and never spoke to anyone.  I have my phone with me at all times but at least have the manners to turn it on silent when in company and rarely refer to it unless I know I have someone or something important likely to call.   I repeat

IMPORTANT !!! 

Commenting on this forum is very different unless you are doing it on a phone whilst in the company of others.

First thing I do lunch time in work is pick up my phone once one of the guys starts talking about football  😴

Edited by blackbird

30 minutes ago, blackbird said:

First thing I do lunch time in work is pick up my phone once one of the guys starts talking about football  😴

Agreed to much football everywhere, the TV evening news as a dedicated 10-15 minute slot telling us who scored what goal with highlights of the goal and what the manager had for breakfast, those who are interested already know, I usually turn to a different channel when sports news comes on, wish it would all go over to sky tv.

If there are parents who wish their kid to have phones for emergencies then why not a basic phone without all the bells and whistles, bit like the one below £6.25 from Argos.

phone.jpg

Edited by old'un

My daughtrs school is no phones to be taken to school  unless exceptional circumstances,  then they have to be left in the school office during the day. 

My sons allows them to take one but can't use it in school hours.

First offence loose it for a day, 2nd a week, 3rd till the end of term, 4th for ever.

I would not send my children to a school that allows phones in class!

Edited by Dibble

9 hours ago, Dibble said:

My daughtrs school is no phones to be taken to school  unless exceptional circumstances,  then they have to be left in the school office during the day. 

My sons allows them to take one but can't use it in school hours.

First offence loose it for a day, 2nd a week, 3rd till the end of term, 4th for ever.

I would not send my children to a school that allows phones in class!

I’d doubt any school could remove a phone for ever . Even end of term as it’s theft.

i hate phones in schools but it is handy for them walking home if something happens 

5 hours ago, Dibble said:

They do and if you have had one confiscated for a term and don't pick it up within 3 days it is donated to charity. 

Schools can have their own rules, play by them or your out.

So if a parent is paying £50 a month for a contract and the school gives it away , what will the parents do ? 

Call the police as until the contract is finished it is still the property of the service provider. 

5 hours ago, team tractor said:

So if a parent is paying £50 a month for a contract and the school gives it away , what will the parents do ? 

Call the police as until the contract is finished it is still the property of the service provider. 

Can I just check we arnt misunderstanding each other.

I chose a school for my son that tells you in advance it's phone policy which I agree with and sign a behaviour policy to this effect.

My son breaks the rules, looses his phone for a day,  cocks up again and looses it for a week, he still won't learn and looses it for a term.

Next term he breaks the rules again knowing he will loose it permanently. 

"What will the parents do?"

What would I do? Take the £36 per month contract out of his money !I certainly wouldn't be looking to attack the school. I would view myself a failure as a parent for it to have got this far and support the teachers to the hilt.

The definition of theft is dishonest mis appropriation of property with the intention to permanently deprive the other.

slightly paraphrased so I would say there is good grounds for going down that route but it’s a slightly mute point as it detracts from the point that the school doesn’t allow phones end of. 

On a side note if the school permanently ( a week I could live with as I’m all for lessons learned) deprived my child (me as I pay the bill) of a phone they would be getting a visit - and my child a good talking to for being daft. 

Edited by ph5172