Sako7mm

Oldest Shotgun

37 minutes ago, matone said:

As an aside,there`s a Manton double 20b flint/percussion gun in Ryedale Auctioneers sporting sale next week!

I believe this gun has been in the last two sales .

Feltwad

7 minutes ago, Sako7mm said:

I find it hard to believe that these are still in use...

Strictly, my old Manton is in (temporary I hope) retirement.  I have never shot it (as far as I know - I did shoot a couple of my godfather's muzzle loaders years ago, but not I think this one), but my godfather (who gave it to me) used to shoot walked up grouse over a pointer with it, and I have had it fully checked and it is in good usable condition.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, to use them, the MUST be on your certificate, and this is on mine.

8 hours ago, Sako7mm said:

I find it hard to believe that these are still in use...

If the gun is good condition be it flintlock , percussion, or breech loader there are still used by  groups of muzzle loaders for both clays and game shooting ,which must be entered on a S. G. Certificate it is living the past.

Feltwad

31 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

If the gun is good condition be it flintlock , percussion, or breech loader there are still used by  groups of muzzle loaders for both clays and game shooting ,which must be entered on a S. G. Certificate it is living the past.

Feltwad

And the pinfires? 

2 hours ago, Sako7mm said:

And the pinfires? 

Yes some still use pinfires for the odd day out providing that they can find a few pinfire cases .You will find that a lot of pinfire shotguns were converted to centre fire

Feltwad

I am well aware that lots of pinfire shotguns were converted to centrefire, thanks. I think you have missed the point of the thread somewhat!

9 hours ago, Sako7mm said:

I am well aware that lots of pinfire shotguns were converted to centrefire, thanks. I think you have missed the point of the thread somewhat!

Explain how it was  not my intention.

Feltwad