Flocking Pigeons Again

pigeon controller

I was called out on Wednesday to shoot the pigeons on the rape, this is the third time I've shot this field which is between two other rape fields with plenty of gas guns. As I've reported before they lift off with the bangers and come to this field in a flock, two down and off they go. I was set up for 11.00 and stayed till 16.00 and the flock visited me a few times always in numbers no individuals. I finished with thirtysix in the bag but there are approx two hundred going around.

Friday. I had a similar call from another farmer who in surrounded by fields of rape all with gas guns. What the farmer described was they come over me and drop in and I put a shot over them and they go. That sounds a great recipe for decoying, NOT!!!! I agreed to turn out as his land is good pigeon country in the summer. I was on the fields at 09.30 and nothing. I could see birds still in the roost woods at the side of the farm so I waited to see if they would commit to a flightline or a field. 10.00 and a few had committed to the furthest rape field which borders another farm and three fields of rape. It was a bitter north east wind and I managed to get in a ditch with the wind off my back. I did not shoot until a bird came to my twelve decoys, this was to see the reaction. Approx twenty came towards the pattern and only two attepted to land, which I shot. This was the pattern for the day lots of birds overhead but none committing to the decoys so I ended up shooting overhead birds as the birds comming to the pattern were so spooky and jinxing left and right the overhead shots were flying straight.I packed up at 16.00 and picked up thirtyfour birds. 

Saturday, As the game season had finished we had a look at some rape which we had left to avoid any concerns with the game syndicate. The farmer had asked us to shoot it a few weeks ago and we had reports of six guns on it the other Saturday from the Keeper. We looked at two rape fields on the way out both had birds in the trees but nothing feeding. It was minus one as we approached this farm which has five fields of rape and a newly installed gas gun it approx three hundred birds down feeding. We left them down and carried on to another farm which also had birds down feeding. We drove back to the three hundred bird field just as the gas gun gave four blasts and the birds lifted, circled and landed. We agreed to shoot this field but the concern was that  the gates giving us access to the centre field were locked and we would have lug the gear to where we wanted to shoot which was the centre of the field. We were set up and running for 10.30 and the first birds in came over our heads. we had set up with the wind left to right and expected the birds to come in from the front and present themselves side on.

We were in the centre of the fields on an hedge between two fields and the birds came to us during the day from all directions and the poor dog was trying to mark dropped birds all round us. Don't get me wrong it was fantastic shooting  and really enjoyable in the fresh wind. We had started the day with twelve fresh birds, ten on spikes and two on the magnet. As we shot we added birds to the pattern and we had approx fifty out and they started to shy off so we reduced it to forty, no flyers just the magnet and they came in confidently. We had birds all round us at some times on their  backs etc this had the effect of birds shying off so we would pick up quickly and bring the shot birds in to the hide. This had the desired effect and we would continue to shoot. We continued to shoot till 16.30 then took ages to pick up birds that we had hit but they had fell behind us in the taller rape. The final tally was one hundred and fiftynine pigeon and one crow which the dog chose to parade around with all evening.

So another weeks shooting two hundred and twentynine birds for the freezer which makes my total in the freezers in the garage to one thousand and ninetytwo . Must arrange a delivery to the game dealer .

100-3337.jpg

36 Pigeons
100-3339.jpg

34 Pigeons
100-3345.jpg

159 Pigeons and the Dog with his Crow

Not sure what the orange glow is as the sun is well down, must be by Pigeon Charm I bought of the Gypsy lady!!!!!

Edited by pigeon controller

3 hours ago, aga man said:

Great result PC. It seems a fair few good bags have been shot this weekend looking on the social media, you are right up there with the best of them.:good:

This could be due to the end of the Game season and various individuals being allowed into select game only estates. I spoke to keeper recently and said that his drives were covered with pigeons feeding hard in his grain.

Thank you all for your comments it proves that someone is at the other end of the WiFi.

12 hours ago, yickdaz said:

Yeah I agree flocking pigeons  could  change flocking to another word after sitting for 3 hrs in a hide freezing me dangles off for 14 

Anyway as always top marks Mr 👍

What do you mean Flipping!!!!!

Edited by pigeon controller

3 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

This could be due to the end of the Game season and various individuals being allowed into select game only estates. I spoke to keeper recently and said that his drives were covered with pigeons feeding hard in his grain.

Thank you all for your comments it proves that someone is at the other end of the WiFi.

What do you mean Flipping!!!!!

Yes that's it lol