What Budget Scope for HMR?

Major Sharpe

I need a scope for my HMR and don't really have much budget. (Less than £175)

I would be grateful for your comments on this. Here is what I have listed.

Nikko Stirling Panamax 4.5-14x50 £169

Nikko Stirling Mountmaster 6-18x44 £97

Hawke Vantage 6-24x50 £169

Hawke .17 HMR 4-16x50 £149

Many Thanks

Me too, there’s someone selling a Hawke Panoramic on here for 100 quid hardly used, could be a good shout.

i have the HMR Hawke but I wouldn’t worry about reticle, it’s so flat it’s just a case of ‘up a bit’ of beyond 125 yrds

Thank you both.

2 minutes ago, PPP said:

Me too, there’s someone selling a Hawke Panoramic on here for 100 quid hardly used, could be a good shout.

i have the HMR Hawke but I wouldn’t worry about reticle, it’s so flat it’s just a case of ‘up a bit’ of beyond 125 yrds

Is the HMR Hawke worth having, as you own one 'PPP'?

25 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

Are you planning on using night vision with the scope? If so side Parallax would be handy.

No, I have a DIY night vision that I used on the air rifle but I hated the screen view and holding the rifle so low. It felt wrong. I borrowed a .22lr with a night vison scope and realised this was the way forward. So before next winter I will get a Photon.

At the moment I am using Ledray red torch for night shooting.

2 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

They have ao instead of side px .

But to be fair thats fine as your gonna be zeroing your gun at 100 yds and setting the parrelax at 100 yds too .

So even on 16 xmag .you will be able to see clearly enough from 40 yds to infinity .it hardley needs adjustable parrelax at all .

I like this… Thank you

I’ve a Panamax and it’s better than my hawkes . It gets me and extra 10 minutes easily at dusk and it’s just a better built scope imo .

i had the sling come off  on my Brno last year and drop across the scope. My heart stopped 😞 . It’s still on zero :)  it’s been fantastic and I’d buy another over a Hawke. 

Ill add I’ve a Hawke on my hmr and it’s been great but just beaten by a Panamax .

i normally hate nikko sterling 

I have just put a Nikko Sterling 4-12 with AO and IR on a rimfire and it works well.

I think Hawke and Nikko Sterling are fairy similar in quality and price so it’s a bit of personal preference. 

Once zero’d and the AO set up it’s done and gives a clear picture out past the ranges I’m shooting at, with the mildots it easier to adjust for distances above and below zero.