First roe of the year,couple of foxes and last game.

sako751sg

Great weather for getting a few does ticked off so yesterday morning was away just on daylight.Loads of beasts cutting around but an awkward breeze and very noisy underfoot conditions didnt make them all easy.

Stalked into a group of 11 and with all in seemingly top condition picked a doe with twins.All dropped on the spot and on gralloching the big old doe was absolutely stuffed with fat.Not been a bad winter by any stretch so would expect it.

Next went a walk through the wood to the hoosie.Bumped loads of roe but hadnt any more room in the box so just left them and spent an hour sitting in the hoose.

Hadnt been there long when the thermal picked up something curled up around 150m away,which turned out to be a sleeping fox.Funnily enough,it was less than 20m from one i had shot the morning before so presuming it was a pair.Easy enough shot and again never moved.

Thats the 3rd from the hoosie in the last 2 weeks so good to keep on top of them.

Had a wee walk on the day before the last but was pretty conservative.Ended with 2 pheasants,a woodcock and a snipe which was more than enough.Been a great season for game and fowl but glad of the break.

Still getting free barley so will keep feeding till the cold snap ends.

Wee Jake had surgery the night as it seems he had been impaled on a stick or branch which had went in around 8 inches.He didnt stop working at all and shows how hardy our best friends are.Time for a wee bit spoiling.

IuIWP3A.jpg

EuYlM3e.jpg

NGeURBg.jpg

TDMyWxf.jpg

4PznKtG.jpg

2JcrR92.jpg

Suai82M.jpg

4LO5iNn.jpg

Mz4C6c3.jpg

CZ7pUoJ.jpg

Fu3Mx0C.jpg

55iQXed.jpg

ZHzLeSn.jpg

QRAdIKY.jpg

Jnh2VMn.jpg

9 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

great pics mate. i had a lucky one this afternoon managed to bag 3 does out of a group 0f 9 this afternoon. all cleaned out and home within a hour

Cheers Bumpy.

Good when the plan all goes well.Still a lot of does to take or well on?

I prefer the harder weather for getting mine so good to get a few decked although im very conservative most years with the does.

9 hours ago, Fuddster said:

nice way to finish the season off.

great pics as ever.

cheers

f.

Cheers F.

Fine end for sure and the harder weather made it all the better.

8 hours ago, aga man said:

Amazing photos Sako, thanks for sharing.👍

Cheers bud.

4 hours ago, moor man said:

Great pics, thanks for posting.

Hope Jakes ok, looks a bit sorry for himself.

Cheers fella.

Wee bit itchy and trying to scratch but no real how resiliant they are.

11 minutes ago, shootgun said:

Good work!

Been out myself Friday and Saturday, but haven't seen anything apart from a baby wee muntjac. It look's like the cold snap affected they normal behaviour and moved elsewere.

Think i seen the pic on FB too.Suppose the likes of munties will struggle more as their browse line will be a good bit lower than the roe and other larger deer?

Hopefully the weather doesnt stay hard too long for the wee things anyway.

22 minutes ago, sako751sg said:

Ta bud.

The blood was from a cut on his paw,the head one hardly bled till we found his yesterday and blood literally spurting out of it.

Jeez, So was there a piece of stick still in the flesh ? .. I do wonder about my springer he throws himself about regardless, he's not had anything serious, a few cuts and a septic leg from something in the water.. that is one hell of a scar on Jake though.........hardy animals

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

Jeez, So was there a piece of stick still in the flesh ? .. I do wonder about my springer he throws himself about regardless, he's not had anything serious, a few cuts and a septic leg from something in the water.. that is one hell of a scar on Jake though.........hardy animals

Was a bit left but mostly splinters which had to be cleaned out.Can only imagine how he managed to free himself with it going in so deep but he didnt make a sound that i know about.

I can imagine your lad being like most springers,total disregard for personnal safety and just going about the job with gay abondon.

I cringe when i see Jake flying into cover and suppose we are very lucky they dont do more damage to themselves.

9 minutes ago, yickdaz said:

as always excellent pics bud, and hope jake makes a full recovery I know how good that dog is and invaluable to you :good:

Ta bud.

All his bad moments are forgotten when something like this happens.Hes not far off his old self this evening but must be sore im sure.

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Brilliant again Dave. Love the way you took pics of the foxes before shooting them , no easy task. Love the pics mate.

Hope the dog is Ok...

Roe also look in great nick too .....

Ta Mark.

Had plenty time with the foxes as wide open and not exactly wary at the time.

3rd fox from it but not christened with a roe yet but that's a bit I can leave them to mature.

Roe were in great condition as usual and even though cold it's not overly hard conditions for them.Constant wet is way worse imo.

12 hours ago, sako751sg said:

Cheers Bumpy.

Good when the plan all goes well.Still a lot of does to take or well on?

I prefer the harder weather for getting mine so good to get a few decked although im very conservative most years with the does.

another 2 more this morning. but still plenty on all of my ground seeing good numbers. i dont like to get on the does much before christmas as its just my preference with young. my shooting mate owwee off here has also been seeing decent numbers and taking some animals that needed removing. so fingers crossed we should have a good year with hopefully a few new farms to look round. which need deer numbers reducing. 

9 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

another 2 more this morning. but still plenty on all of my ground seeing good numbers. i dont like to get on the does much before christmas as its just my preference with young. my shooting mate owwee off here has also been seeing decent numbers and taking some animals that needed removing. so fingers crossed we should have a good year with hopefully a few new farms to look round. which need deer numbers reducing. 

Aye.i can be like that with the kids too,like shooting big hares.Nothing against it but doesnt seem right.

Love getting some new ground and finding it roe/species rich.Have a couple that i got at a charity night last weekend so need to have a look to see whats what.