Nissan announcement and Government collusion

JRDS

When Nissan sat down with the Government after the vote I wonder if this is what they agreed.  This is an announcement about investment a long way in the future, there was absolutely no need to make it before the March Leave date when they could have seen how things turned out or were looking to turn out.  The timing is perfect for May in her quest to get rid off the red herring backstop to replace it with a Customs Union.  Would anyone be surprised if this Government had put Nissan up to this?  Diesel sales have plummeted because of Government taxation, this decision would have been taken Brexit or No Brexit they haven't announced the investment in an EU country where they already have existing factories but in Japan.

As far as I see it they have announced that the new X trail is going yo be built in japan and by default that means it won't be built in the UK or any other European country, they haven't said that it was going to be built here and now its not. Maybe their business plat was looking at sales in the rest of the world being worth more that EU sales so building it here or in Europe had no advantage to them

1 hour ago, JRDS said:

When Nissan sat down with the Government after the vote I wonder if this is what they agreed.  This is an announcement about investment a long way in the future, there was absolutely no need to make it before the March Leave date when they could have seen how things turned out or were looking to turn out.  The timing is perfect for May in her quest to get rid off the red herring backstop to replace it with a Customs Union.  Would anyone be surprised if this Government had put Nissan up to this?  Diesel sales have plummeted because of Government taxation, this decision would have been taken Brexit or No Brexit they haven't announced the investment in an EU country where they already have existing factories but in Japan.

I think that's a fair assessment, I certainly wouldn't be surprised with dirty tricks, the establishment has tried everything in the book this far so why wouldn't they

Nissan tried to hold our govt' to ransom and it didnt work...they had no cash (free) injection......so they did what what they were going to do anyway...as bluesj states...

will be interesting to see what will happen when the Euro crashes...........you will know when it will ...as large ammounts of money and investments will be coming to the UK....

first the Italian banks will go down........then it will be a domino effect.......

interesting times ahead..

I doubt there's a secret government agenda. Look at it from Nissan's position: In today's marketplace, how many X-Trails are they realistically likely to sell - especially in Europe?

What folks are buying these days as an alternative to cars is the SUV, the modern day equivalent of the people carrier and a very high percentage of them are 2 wheel drive. Also, the people who need a proper 4x4 are typically buying trucks rather than miniature buses.

I'd suggest that Africa and the 3rd world are now the main market for vehicles like the X-Trail so there's no gain for Nissan in building them in Europe.

15 minutes ago, Westward said:

I doubt there's a secret government agenda. Look at it from Nissan's position: In today's marketplace, how many X-Trails are they realistically likely to sell - especially in Europe?

What folks are buying these days as an alternative to cars is the SUV, the modern day equivalent of the people carrier and a very high percentage of them are 2 wheel drive. Also, the people who need a proper 4x4 are typically buying trucks rather than miniature buses.

I'd suggest that Africa and the 3rd world are now the main market for vehicles like the X-Trail so there's no gain for Nissan in building them in Europe.

never a truer word spoken.................and thats what we should be aiming for

4 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

It looks like a move towards the x-trail being phased out global to me. Its floorplan/ drive train would be then moved into a newer existing model thus improving sales of that existing model.

In its current form it is simply a quasqui +2 which they trialled a few years ago. 

Everything except the body is the same in both models so the production line could be side by side. 

Ive heard the AWD on both models is causing them some major cost garage repairs and they are planning on dropping this. 

Both the mrs and I have one of each 

30 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

They have said the quahqi(spelling) is biggest seller in Europe and that's built in Sunderland so this is non news about the xtrail. Just hyped up scare story surrounding Brexit. 

That's about right.

The Qashqai created a market for Mickey Mouse pretend 4x4s which for the most part were ordinary cars with greater ground clearance and a dose of steroids to the bodywork. For reasons that I can't fathom, vast numbers of people want them. Maybe it's the high up seating or perhaps there's a 'keeping up with the Jones' element but every maker now has an equivalent model in the range. But, as I know from personal experience driving CX-5, SUVs aren't as good to drive on the road as the cars they're based on, they don't offer any more seating space, tech options or usable storage room yet they cost thousands more to buy, have worse performance and consume more fuel.

As I say, I find the craze for these things incomprehensible, but right now that's where the market is and even though the vast majority of them will never go near a blade of grass much less get muddy, the owners believe they look good in the office car park whereas the X-Trail just doesn't.

22 minutes ago, Westward said:

That's about right.

The Qashqai created a market for Mickey Mouse pretend 4x4s which for the most part were ordinary cars with greater ground clearance and a dose of steroids to the bodywork. For reasons that I can't fathom, vast numbers of people want them. Maybe it's the high up seating or perhaps there's a 'keeping up with the Jones' element but every maker now has an equivalent model in the range. But, as I know from personal experience driving CX-5, SUVs aren't as good to drive on the road as the cars they're based on, they don't offer any more seating space, tech options or usable storage room yet they cost thousands more to buy, have worse performance and consume more fuel.

As I say, I find the craze for these things incomprehensible, but right now that's where the market is and even though the vast majority of them will never go near a blade of grass much less get muddy, the owners believe they look good in the office car park whereas the X-Trail just doesn't.

Clearly not a fan then. But have you had one?

I actually rate mine quite high. 

1. Raised ground clearance. 

2. AWD when I need it. 

3. Economical for 50 mile daily round trip. 

4. Flat boot bed. 

5. Plenty of room for kids / dog / shooting gear. 

I could mention more. 

49 minutes ago, Pistol p said:

Basically we're all discussing wether or not the french will or will not build a new car in Britain.

Renault owns 43% of Nissan but they don't decide Nissan strategy. The main purpose is a technology Alliance (which also seems to include Mitsubishi), thus the Kadjar shares most of it's hardware with the notoriously troublesome qashqai and the Koleos is basically a rebodied X-Trail.

6 hours ago, JRDS said:

There was a deal offered and a commitment made from UK Plc that cannot be delivered.  

17 hours ago, JRDS said:

I agree.  This Government instigated the pressure put on Diesel sales and then pretends to be shocked  by this sort of thongs happening.  My message to them is .... Go and get... STUFFED YOU CONNIVING ********.

Diesel or brexit. Or perhaps it’s something to do with the trade deal signed days ago between the eu and Japan. Nissan no longer need to evade tariffs by assembling cars in the eu.

But let’s blame brexit since Nissan announced they would be shifting production elsewhere in the eu....oh no, hang on, they haven’t.