Jono's first outing since 1997

JONO

What a great weekend.

A colleague who shoots reasonably locally kindly agreed to take me out on Saturday.

It would be my first day with my gun for a number of years, the first time I had shot on my own certificate, the first time I had shot without my father around (I'm 29) and the first time I'd used the kit I'd been hoarding and purchasing for months.

He phoned early doors and we agreed an 8:30 leave. 10 minutes after he phoned and the heavens opened in style.

Driving wind and rain made getting to the S. Gloucestershire farm difficult enough - let alone focussing down the barrels.

It was a couple of miles walk round the edges of fields to see what was about - not a lot and hardly surprising given the wind and rain sheeting in from the visible Severn estuary. And to be honest it was difficult enough to breathem, let alone see. :P

We saw a flock of about 50 birds on the leeward side of the 1/4 acre wood we were planning to set up our ambush in - reasonably isolated and in a dip in the land. These disappeared about 200 yards out but, once set up the birds started coming in every twenty minutes. All we had to do when things dried up was to fire a stirring shot which reverberated around the area - probably confusing the birds in the rain. :lol:

The most challenging aspect was the wind - the birds would come in steadily but miss with the first barrel and they'd turn square onto the wind and zip away at 75 mph! :lol:

Still, between 9:30 and our leaving at 12:30 I took four birds (three flying) for about 20 carts shot (65mm Gamebore "clear pigeon" 30g fibre 6s). Not too bad in the conditions but requiring some improvement. :D

Back in time for the rugby, a warmed cornish pasty and an afternoon feeling total satisfaction. :P

Sunday was the West Country game fair *(bluddy expensive kit but good fun ambling about) and last night I wrapped the pigeon breasts in smoked streaky and griddled - served with mini roasties, leeks and a red wine and redcurrant jus - yum :lol:

Thanks to all for your advice - can't wait until I next get a chance to go out.

Jono