Yoga

washerboy

Took it up 4 years ago when a serious bout of vertigo left me with balance problems. I found it brilliant for improving flexibility, strength, balance and relaxation especially as I am approaching 70. Before I started doing it I also had knee and lower back problems, it certainly has helped with these ailments too.

funnily enough.....first session last week as part of a recoup programme from a work related injury.

and three pilates sessions-I do feel better and would consider doing this as I get older-i think the importance of flexibility is hugely underestimated.

not long ago I would have  be the first the scoff at the idea but yep i feel the benefits.

if it helps my gun swing so much the better!

f.

I've been going once a week for about 8 years; love it.

Mind you it does depend on the teacher, mine had a couple of kids in that period ( not that you'd know to look at her) and whilst having said sproggs, I tried 2 or 3 other classes, but didn't like them as much. Grace is such a lovely lady, very kind and understanding of the range of ages of the people in her class and what each individual body will do, no position is a wrong position, she guides us with professional yet friendly expertise.

At the end of class we are lying with the lights off and in silence, letting stress and strain drift away. I invariably dose off and more than once have had to be woken up 😂

13 minutes ago, getthegat said:

Mind you it does depend on the teacher, mine had a couple of kids in that period ( not that you'd know to look at her) and whilst having said sproggs, I tried 2 or 3 other classes, but didn't like them as much. Grace is such a lovely lady, very kind and understanding of the range of ages of the people in her class and what each individual body will do, no position is a wrong position, she guides us with professional yet friendly expertise.

At the end of class we are lying with the lights off and in silence, letting stress and strain drift away. I invariably dose off and more than once have had to be woken up 😂

That dont sound too bad tbh

2 hours ago, getthegat said:

this👆👆

I've done Pilates in the past and the instructor makes a massive difference, not everyone can do the same things and a good instructor will see who can do more or not.

8 hours ago, Mice! said:

👆👆

...the instructor makes a massive difference, not everyone can do the same things and a good instructor will see who can do more or not.

This, in spades. 

Just started a class, as a gentler way of maintaining the flexibility from nearly 50 years of martial arts training. Most of my dojo time is spent teaching these days, and the accumulated aches and pains mean free play time is restricted - there is a definite limit to the number of times I can hit the mat in a session!

First yoga session went by in a flash, and I didn't regret it massively the following day, which I must admit is what I had expected.

Give it a try - you may find it works for you.

9 hours ago, CaptainBeaky said:

This, in spades. 

Just started a class, as a gentler way of maintaining the flexibility from nearly 50 years of martial arts training. Most of my dojo time is spent teaching these days, and the accumulated aches and pains mean free play time is restricted - there is a definite limit to the number of times I can hit the mat in a session!

First yoga session went by in a flash, and I didn't regret it massively the following day, which I must admit is what I had expected.

Give it a try - you may find it works for you.

Another Judoka by chance? Small world if so 😄 

Sivananda yoga is what I do. There are various kinds so check them out first on YouTube maybe to see which could suit. It's about stretch, letting your body guide you, staying in a stretch so that your body knows it is safe to be there. At no time should you bounce or jerk into or out of a stretch and you always do the same to both sides, legs, arms or what ever, to balance the body evenly. It looks easy when watching, but believe me once you try it, you'll have a different train of thought. I'm 62 and work all day on my feet in a cold garage, yoga is a big tool in my fight against age.

On 04/02/2019 at 16:52, Mice! said:

Another Judoka by chance? Small world if so 😄 

Started with judo when I was 8. Discovered jujitsu at 18, and been doing that ever since, with a few forays into karate, western fencing and HEMA. Now studying iaido as well - much kinder on my aging joints (seated kata excepted 😖... )

On 04/02/2019 at 19:02, Winston72 said:

je suis,  although the older i get, the worse Ukemi feels

Definitely! 

On 03/02/2019 at 20:01, oowee said:

We go every week. Its great for flexibility and strength. Relaxing too and helps me relax. If I could find a meditation class (not easy in the middle of nowhere) I would do that too. 

I thought would a hive of 'Mindful' practices in your neck of the woods?

11 minutes ago, oowee said:

There are some in Bristol and out at Glastonbury that I know of but none that close to me that I have found. 

From time spent in the Ring o Bells at CM, it would seem very much a well off yummy mummy orientated area; yoga and such like usually go hand in hand.