An overview of the season on our little shoot.

Clodhopper

Inspired by the excellent reports to appear recently in this section I thought I would give a brief account of the first season on our little farm shoot. I wish I had done an account of each day but I didn't, so will try to give an overview from memory.

It started back in March when my cousin asked me to help him re form the little syndicate farm shoot that I used to run nearly decade ago. We contacted friends and family who we thought might be interested and put together a group of six like minded people who would be up for the Craic and a little bit of shooting. There were no grand plans, we hoped to put enough birds down for everyone to get a bird or two. The farmland we shoot is in a beautiful part of the Lincolnshire Wolds with some nice steep banks that can, on their day, show some sporting birds. Spring trapping and pen building got underway and many hours were put in putting it all together.

We then had an unexpected offer from the farmer next door who wanted to join in with the operation. An agreement was made that would benefit both parties and our little operation got a little bigger, more birds were ordered and pens increased in size and number. Pest control efforts were doubled as the acreage was doubled. We enjoyed every minute of it although our long suffering wives might disagree as we dragged them out to assist with game keeping duties.

Birds arrived and we had lovely weather with very little stress on the birds. Wives and children assisted with the constant dogging in and feeding duties, fitted in around working hours. Then the season arrived and the enjoyment started to give way to a little anxiety as we were now in it for real and although a small informal affair, we wanted to give our friends a good day out. Due to work commitments and needing to leave enough time between days we were forced to start shooting earlier than we wanted, the 19th October being the first day. 

The day arrived and to say we were nervous is an understatement, would the birds be where we wanted them, would they fly well enough this early on? The Ace up our sleeve was that we had a good head of both wild partridge and pheasants which were older than our birds and much stronger on the wing. The guns were briefed to only take the good birds and they stuck to this. The day flew past for the two of us running the day but every body else seemed to enjoy it. Some drives went well, others not so. The final tally for the day was around 50 head with everybody contributing to the bag. The season was under way.

Four more days were planned and each one seemed to fly by with us two panicking and trying to keep a calm exterior whilst inside there was always the feeling of treading water. The birds grew stronger and flew better and the guns shot well. Everyone involved met up for elevenses and lunch, had a good laugh and had a drink together. New friendships were formed and old ones reignited. Nobody fell out which is always a bonus. Some dogs were naughty and some were sublime, some were a bit of both.

The little shoot was evolving into something that everyone looked forward to with many people wanting to come out to to enjoy a day in the countryside, be it shooting, beating, picking up or just coming along and counting the shots. And this brings me to the last and probably my favourite day of the season. It is the day when we can ask all those who have helped out to come and enjoy a day with the gun. It was also a chance when we could get our guns out and have a go. And what a day it was, the wind was perfect with an overcast sky. There was a light covering of snow which added to the magic of the day. The birds made an appearance and boy did they fly, some would have graced any shoot in the land, whats more some were brought down to earth. Smiling faces were to be seen all day and as the sun sank another season was drawn to a close. As I write this I am enjoying a drink and thinking about all that was good and bad about the season. Not much time to dwell on it as next week we need to start thinning some woods to create a more welcoming environment ready for next season!!

Thanks for reading.

19 minutes ago, Wilksy II said:

Great write up clodhopper, and well done on taking the job on, glad it worked out I’d imagine it’s being like an expectant father! Jdog showed me a beautiful dale of yours whilst tracking down pigeons last month, he had nowt but praise and it’s a cracking bit of land!

Thanks Willy’s. The terrain and the way the  land is farmed certainly make the job easier. I believe you found a few that day on an equally stunning part of the wolds.

11 hours ago, Clodhopper said:

Thanks Willy’s. The terrain and the way the  land is farmed certainly make the job easier. I believe you found a few that day on an equally stunning part of the wolds.

Yes, really is stunning land, never seen the horseshoe steep sided  dale, but there great for game and pigeons!