Stick wood

Dougy

I decided to cut down a climbing rose, it was getting a bit out of hand and the window cleaner was looking like a rag doll from the thick thorns.

The main trunk if you like is quite thick,now the question is, do I burn it or would it make a good walking stick for when out beating.? 

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

I believe there’s a variety of cabbage grown in the Channel Islands that’s used for making walking sticks 😊

I just checked my facts on the internet to ensure  that I wasn’t talking out my ****. I saw the bit about the cabbages but also it reported that the sprout stems used used were 20 foot long. Even more strange eBay has just sent me an email offering me a vintage sprout walking stick to buy. Talk about ‘Big Brother ‘ watching you. Scary 

7 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

I have a walking stick made from cabbage stalk. It's over 150 years old and like iron.

in the old days they used to collect the sprouts in late autumn...wash them in horses urine then dry them over the summer....then they would be graded for musket balls or grape shot...

strange but true..

3 hours ago, yates said:

I just checked my facts on the internet to ensure  that I wasn’t talking out my ****. I saw the bit about the cabbages but also it reported that the sprout stems used used were 20 foot long. Even more strange eBay has just sent me an email offering me a vintage sprout walking stick to buy. Talk about ‘Big Brother ‘ watching you. Scary 

I clicked on a Tilley hats link the other day in the sales, so now I'm getting Tilley hat adds at the top of the page, doesn't explain the Muslim mums though??

5 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Were they the cheap ones or the higher end range? Higher end range use classic race horse urine.

the best ones come from Harrods.....virgins wee my boy virgins wee....from Great Yarmouth........thats why they are so expensive

Didn’t even make an effort to keep the rose straight really, just hung it to dry. Removed the thorns which were very few and gave it a light rub down when seasoned. Few coats of danish oil and an antler handle/12G cart brass ferrule and bobs your beater! 

8A08F3D8-1EC2-4C1C-BAEA-339A8CBB9D01.jpeg

And if your wondering why the dog is hanging in the cupboard? He chewed his last chair leg :lol: 

that looks nice geordi.........:good:............i made a stick like that a long while ago for a so called mate of mine.....he was getting on and having difficulty climbing out of ditches when beating...so i made a looverly stick for him with a hook like yours....and gave him it for a xmas present...........ungrateful prune cut the hook off with an axe...said he looks like moses carrying it around...........that miffed me and was the last thing i ever did for him

Edited by ditchman