.410 shot pistol

Tford

Hi,

I've put in for a 410 shot pistol (for pest control around farm buildings, and humane dispatch of trapped fox). I'm aware of their limitations, so don't need telling that they are useless anywhere past a few yards! My question however is whether the 410 Taurus judge appears on the UK market these days, as currently I can only see the bond arms double and the pig-ugly falco folder. 

Any .410 shot pistol owners out there with purchasing advice? If not I may change my request to a 22lr pistol for the humane dispatch element only

Thanks 

Trevor

Edited by Tford

The only thing with the Taurus and bond arms is they are chambered 410 and .45 long colt so that could cause problems plus the silly little grip and heavy trigger on the bond arms don't make it much fun to use used a .357 it was a horrible thing to use. As to being able to find a Taurus in the uk I couldn't tell you, but holts some times have 410 pistols in their auctions.

8 minutes ago, Tford said:

Hmm. No doubt the FEO will have a view, I’ll see what they say and if need be adjust my plan. Main thing is dispatch of trapped foxes, thought a shot pistol in 410 would be ideal. 

Open to other ideas!

Thanks for your thoughts. 

I would go for a hushpower 410 for trapped foxes

17 minutes ago, crossy 666 said:

I put in for the same and was told No!

The said the only way they would issue it would be 

1. Licensed slaughter man 

2. Part of the hunt they allow one on that incase they have a horse fall. 

But there is an exemption under the act for shot pistols for pest control in and around farm buildings (i.e not one of the above)... so theoretical they should grant if good enough reason. 

The pest control (qualified pest controller) and dispatch of trapped foxes is my other part of that reason... but probably a main part 

fingers crossed though

Edited by Tford

Why can’t you just use a normal shotgun, either 410 or any other Bore to dispatch fox in a trap? 

I used a SbS 410 on a trapped fox very effective. If anything it was easier having longer barrels as you can aim it much easier and don’t have to get too close incase of any richochet. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Why can’t you just use a normal shotgun, either 410 or any other Bore to dispatch fox in a trap? 

I used a SbS 410 on a trapped fox very effective. If anything it was easier having longer barrels as you can aim it much easier and don’t have to get too close incase of any richochet. 

Think I'd have to agree with this. Surely .410 bolt or SXS would do the same job and be more useful too out in a field etc

2 hours ago, James horsfield said:

Some shop is selling a single & double barrel one of these £200 & £300 🤷🏻‍♂️

B56EC52C-522E-4FB3-867A-8152BEF721EF.jpeg

C3EF4C87-3DA7-4A9D-A45F-8B9A9AF89983.jpeg

Thanks for posting; the single on the right is simply exquisite. As others have said, and as big a handgun buff as I am, I'd just get a shotgun. Far more practical in my opinion.

thanks for the thoughts. There is a few reasons why I want a shot pistol instead of a full length shotgun, firstly in terms of pest control it’s much more discrete when trapping in close proximity to houses (a single shot won’t make much difference). It can be carried to the trap in a normal bag, fox dispatched, bagged and carried out with minimal visual attention of those uncomfortable with fox trapping/shooting. 

On the farm dispatch of livestock (sheep) more easily done in low roofed pigstys etc more easily done than with a full length shotgun etc. Although not to frequent. 

I know you could do all this with different options I.e folding 410... but I think this will suit. Whether the police agree is another question.... I’m assuming no, but you can only apply and find out!

• 1 month later...
On 03/02/2019 at 21:44, crossy 666 said:

Update - FAC granted for max 2 shot ‘410 shot pistol’ conditioned for humane dispatch of animals and in connection with my profession (and associated qualifications).

4 minutes ago, Tford said:

Interesting... any details? 

The rifling will have to already be bored out and restricted to two shot to maybe fit within the shot pistol requirements... doubt that’s happened.

but still interested if you have the dealer name?

thanks

Sure he said they were stainless with a smooth bore but chambers not restricted yet. I will try to get a name out of him

11 hours ago, Tford said:

Update - FAC granted for max 2 shot ‘410 shot pistol’ conditioned for humane dispatch of animals and in connection with my profession (and associated qualifications).

I only do pest control as on a part time basis and not my every day job like yourself. This might be the reason why I was refused mine 

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/02/2019 at 21:44, crossy 666 said:

Used one in hunt service but single shot .38 vets get the ticket most slaughterman tbh use either accles and shelvoke or a cow puncher for the job ps I also did this for a living