FAC form advice

Meganelliott

Ive been getting help filling out my fire arms form and im putting down for a 17 hmr and a .223, but everyone is telling me that i wont be granted a .223 even though i have “good reason” for wanting one? I specifically want to shoot rabbits with the 17hmr and i want the .223 for foxes as they prefer you to use certain caliber rifles to do it with? Ive got previous experience with my uncle who has a 220 swift. So surely why am i being told that i wont get one?  

Put down for it and discuss your needs with the FEO when they visit you. I had a very relaxed chat when they came to see me and it was all very straight forward.

I put down for .22lr and a HMR, and was told I'd not get the HMR, but that was total rubbish. My force likes the HMR and it can be used for occasional close range fox. I was granted both.

Good luck.

Edited by Major Sharpe

Go for it. But bear in mind that in the overall scheme of things (devil's advocate) 100 acres is not a great deal of land for a centrefire rifle. Consequently, get ready to answer questions regarding back stops and bullet travel distance, etc, etc. Your FEO will probably be looking at your knowledge rather than some unquantifiable previous experience. Good luck.

As Newbie says if you do'nt put on the form you won'nt get it

Put what you want on the form and the reason Also remember to put down the rifle and moderator for each rifle

I applied for a fac air rifle  .22lr  .17HMR  .223 and .243 I was only asked why i needed a .22 fac air rifle and a .22lr which i said i was'nt bothered about the air rifle as it was a mate that suggested it so i removed it

Then he just went through each calibre and what i intended using them for and what experiece i had....  I used my farthers rifles plus did stalking with my gamekeeper uncle in the past

Everything went through no probs

If you don'nt ask You won'nt get.  Ignore the doubters

Good luck

5 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Was he shooting on an open certificate? 

No, the police had to go out there and look at the land. I just don’t understand why the blokes in the gun shops are telling me not to bother? Wether its because im a girl? God knows😂 its just basc don’t recommend you shoot foxes with a 17hmr they prefer you to use a higher caliber so thats what im doing. I dont see an issue with it, but the blokes do? 🤔

4 minutes ago, Meganelliott said:

No, the police had to go out there and look at the land. I just don’t understand why the blokes in the gun shops are telling me not to bother? Wether its because im a girl? God knows😂 its just basc don’t recommend you shoot foxes with a 17hmr they prefer you to use a higher caliber so thats what im doing. I dont see an issue with it, but the blokes do? 🤔

Just put it on the application as you have a good reason for the calibre and it sounds like the land is cleared. Like someone else metioned put in for a moderator, not sure on ammo amount as I only shoot at a club. 

Edited by Newbie to this

19 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Just put it on the application as you have a good reason for the calibre and it sounds like the land is cleared. Like someone else metioned put in for a moderator, not sure on ammo amount as I only shoot at a club. 

Ive put 500 bullets for the 17hmr and 400 for the .223, i could easily use 30-40 just zeroing it in. And if im out on the rabbits 🐇 i could use a fair amount. But hopefully if i get the .223 i will make my own bullets. 

14 minutes ago, Meganelliott said:

Ive put 500 bullets for the 17hmr and 400 for the .223, i could easily use 30-40 just zeroing it in. And if im out on the rabbits 🐇 i could use a fair amount. But hopefully if i get the .223 i will make my own bullets. 

You may find that your local firearms dept. will put their own limit on how many bullets you can pocess at any one time for each calibre

400  .223 maybe too high  That's alot of charlies on a 100 acre :lol:

Your right about the HMR and foxes  I was told by a mate not to mention shooting fox with HMR as they do'nt like it and may refuse it

Sure enough while talking to my FAO on his visit about the HMR He subtely mentioned shooting fox with them ( a trick opener ) straight away i told him that's what the .223 is for

Just a heads up for you

ATB

S

1 minute ago, sabel25 said:

You may find that your local firearms dept. will put their own limit on how many bullets you can pocess at any one time for each calibre

400  .223 maybe too high  That's alot of charlies on a 100 acre 

Your right about the HMR and foxes  I was told by a mate not to mention shooting fox with HMR as they do'nt like it and may refuse it

Sure enough while talking to my FAO on his visit about the HMR He subtely mentioned shooting fox with them ( a trick opener ) straight away i told him that's what the .223 is for

Just a heads up for you

ATB

S

Thanks for the advice, i dreading having to meet the FAO when he does the visit... i get all panicky 😱 i feel like im under pressure. I know what i need to say its just when im asked the questions i panick😂😂🤦🏽‍♀️

Just stay calm make him or she  a cuppa and just answer with confidence

He wo'nt come in full SWAT gear with a posse in a van :lol: HE or even a she will be in civey's and it's not an interview for the SAS

We used to have a nice lass came for the inspections on renewals  On one occasion she came in and went staight out my patio doors to play with my Springer pup on the lawn and spent more time with him than me and my guns

7 hours ago, Meganelliott said:

Ive been getting help filling out my fire arms form and im putting down for a 17 hmr and a .223, but everyone is telling me that i wont be granted a .223 even though i have “good reason” for wanting one? I specifically want to shoot rabbits with the 17hmr and i want the .223 for foxes as they prefer you to use certain caliber rifles to do it with? Ive got previous experience with my uncle who has a 220 swift. So surely why am i being told that i wont get one?  

Who is they?

HMR is acceptable for fox according to the Home Office guidelines.

100 acres is a decent space, but a .223 will shoot out of it wherever you stand.

If you consider you have good reason then put down all the calibres you have good reason for, and be prepared to put your case!

Edited by Dekers

The specific area will make a lot of difference. A friend got .22lr, .17HMR and .22 250 on initial grant.  The land was cleared for it and and another friend who he had been out with confirmed to the FEO he had used centre fire before. 

For the interview know your safety and know the land you are using it on and you will be fine.

Ammunition hold certainly in TVP unless you can show good reason on pest control i.e. you are a professional stalker or pest controller who is getting through loads of rounds generally you get about 100 ish hold for centre fire 500 is not issue for rimfire as you can do a lot of bunnies in a week. 

Pass on why the local gun shops are saying dont bother if you dont ask on grant you definitely wont get  there is no penalty for going for what you need to do the job.