Falconry boxes

team tractor

My mates asked me to make a few boxes for him so I thought I’d share.

birch 15mm ply  doubled up on the front to look like it’s thicker but keeping the weight down.

solid drawn brass hinges

red leather strap with webbing built in to stop the stretch.

i hope he like them when he picks them up.

next question tho . What do you think is a fair labour rate ? It’s took a day but I want to be fair?

4FE78CEB-2C72-439F-8D09-FC4702B69A92.jpeg

4FF29968-E77B-43B2-A460-F3234B12BEEF.jpeg

99D054D3-6593-449D-A1F7-7476203C2DEA.jpeg

0D738881-7CE5-482A-8763-443F11330F13.jpeg

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

TT as always you make a very nice job with wood.  Minimum fifty notes but I know your hourly rate is worth treble that.  If he is a mate then he should offer more. If you did the job for me I would have double that in my pocket for you and even then in my view I would be getting them cheap.

Cheers walker . I told him £200 for the 3 and he’s said ok.

hes not short of a few quid as he’s looking at buying a breeding pair of falcons to go in it I think. 

Edited by team tractor

15 hours ago, team tractor said:

Cheers walker . I told him £200 for the 3 and he’s said ok.

hes not short of a few quid as he’s looking at buying a breeding pair of falcons to go in it I think. 

And no doubt his mates with raptors will see your boxes and you may well get further orders!:good:

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And no doubt his mates with raptors will see your boxes and you may well get further orders!:good:

Hope so :) 

56 minutes ago, old'un said:

Is there a reason the ply needs to be so thick?

It’s only doubled up at the front for an inch ;) I just thought it would look chunky mate. 

Its still 15 mm birch but I wanted the strength on the mitres to make it a bit different to others

22 hours ago, team tractor said:

I’ve machined 6 in the sides at 20mm but that’s twice what he said to do. I’m unsure what they normally have ??? 

He said the birds chase the light if your not careful. 

The holes need to be at the rear of the box and near the top of the back panel.  You need to have an interior panel to cover the holes so that the bird doesn't see the light as it should be completely dark inside the box - air can get in but not light that way.

They look very well made but I'm not sure you will get many orders as nobody tends to use wooden hawk boxes any more.  You need to wash the boxes regularly and the water and wood doesn't go well together.

Edited by Mickeydredd

1 hour ago, Mickeydredd said:

The holes need to be at the rear of the box and near the top of the back panel.  You need to have an interior panel to cover the holes so that the bird doesn't see the light as it should be completely dark inside the box - air can get in but not light that way.

They look very well made but I'm not sure you will get many orders as nobody tends to use wooden hawk boxes any more.  You need to wash the boxes regularly and the water and wood doesn't go well together.

I could of put holes in anywhere but I thought my mate would of known as it’s his hobby. I haven’t a clue I’ll admit . Live and learn I guess :) 

every days a school day

Its an easy fix if he asks but I like making it right the first time. Maybe I should of asked on here :/ 

theyll hold up to the water being birch but I think it’s more of my mates a show off :)  and likes to be different .