It must be a record.

JDog

In the last two days I have seen four first posts from new members asking for pigeon shooting.

If new members would only spend time reading the various aspects of the forum before asking for shooting I feel that they would understand the forum and it’s main aims rather better. 

Has an initial posts posing the same question ever resulted in obtaining shooting?

37 minutes ago, Seadog1408 said:

They can't be *****, part of the me me me culture.

All a matter of the good the bad and the ugly. Not quite as bad as first timers trying to sell something.  I think we have all used the web to find something we are looking for so cannot realy blame them for trying.  I always try to make sensible suggestions and welcome hem aboard, some may stay others vanish as quickly as they arrive.

Edited by Walker570

I think it’s disrespectful to ask for shooting on a first post ,how ever I have taken quite few novices out with me for a days pigeon shooting from this forum to give them an idea of what it’s all about . I have always invited newbie members who contributed to this forum and who asked the right questions . It’s nice to see the faces of novice pigeon shooters when they killed their first birds over the decoys .

harnser

If they're new to shooting, I guess they don't know that it "isn't the done thing." Apart from obviously being the wrong sort of forum to ask for shooting, it always makes me smile when they post asking for permission then don't come back for days . I can imagine them sitting there thinking they have set their cunning trap and by the time they come back, their inbox will be full. :lol:

Must agree, I also find it a little annoying that they don’t at least first introduce them selves and tell us a little bit about their background, rather than just jumping in with their first post asking for shooting, I guess most are young and inexperienced and would image they have a very similar approach when and if they knock any farmers doors.

I must admit that their approach baffles me, may be better placed on a farming Forum and aimed at the land owners!

Unfortunately, we the regular members are prevented from being too harsh on the thoughtless newbies and as they never bother to look around before committing their poorly thought out request to the Forum, they will NEVER work out the correct way to ask for some shooting.

I will happily consider taking people out on the land I have permission on.

I applaud the occasional post that actually bothers to offer help, recently there have been electricians, builders and welders, good luck to them, nice to see a little thought put in to their posts.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Explanation.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I’m new to this but will you take me out pigeon shooting i only have a legal air rifle at the minute waiting on my sgc to drop on the Mat  so  when it comes I can share your permission ....... only joking 😛

NO…find your own shooting :P

2 minutes ago, plank06 said:

Think my first post was the same, soon realised it’s not about gaining permission at all on here. Always on reading and contribute the odd bit too though!  Learnt some invaluable things and had great help too.

That is the correct way to go about matters.

I am really new to all this I only shot clays the first time over Christmas  but would love to go pigeon shooting one day if I went now I miss way too may

12 minutes ago, old'un said:

NO…find your own shooting :P

But why ☹️

Edited by Jacko3275

I find this thread rather amusing to be honest, I fell foul of this exact thing a couple of days ago. Unfortunately people that are taking their first steps into the world of shooting do not  necessarily have a firm grasp of the exact etiquette required by each individual member of the shooting community  (I guarantee “etiquette” varies from one person to the next) and maybe you should be far more concerned with the etiquette of some of the longer standing members and the things they write about on “public forum” that are illegal!! 

the forum itself point’s people in the wrong direction and gives the impression to put yourself out there and show a willingness to learn,  An exert from a pinned topic at the top of the wanted section :-

“This section has been provided so that members, irrespective of their time on the forum or post count, can request shooting opportunities.

Following another spate of established members derailing threads with unhelpful posts, this is notice that such conduct will not be tolerated, and that repeat offenders will have their accounts restricted without further notice.”

In my opinion that points new members to their own downfall and the fact that a mod/admin has had to warn established members says more about those members than the etiquette of a newbie!

Either way the response I received to that mistake has not phased me one bit, and neither has the complete lack of response to my very first post (introducing myself) 54 views and two responses 👏🏻👏🏻 Round of applause ladies and gentlemen (And you wonder why people don’t bother to introduce themselves).  I’ve continued to use the forum irrespective of first impressions , I’ve purchased from the forsale section, I’ve tried to point a fellow newbie in the direction of a good coach for clay shooting and will continue to float about and learn what I can because I have a genuine interest and a genuine willingness to learn! (Don’t forget though, I’m a thoughtless newbie that knows no better 😉)

You can all continue sitting behind your computers/phones and write bitchy little threads like this (that the newbies can read) and moan about the “thoughtless newbies”  that will “ never work out the correct way”  and be “baffled” and “annoyed”  and think it’s “disrespectful”  or........ you could try and point the likes of me and no doubt many before me in the right direction and integrate us into the correct way of doing things?!......or you can just continue with threads like this.....no skin off my nose

It’s no wonder fieldsports have such a bad reputation for being clicky and closed circle and full of toffs when you can stumble across pathetic tosh like this with a simple google search, it also makes you realise why people don’t bother to get involved 

14 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

I find this thread rather amusing to be honest, I fell foul of this exact thing a couple of days ago. Unfortunately people that are taking their first steps into the world of shooting do not  necessarily have a firm grasp of the exact etiquette required by each individual member of the shooting community  (I guarantee “etiquette” varies from one person to the next) and maybe you should be far more concerned with the etiquette of some of the longer standing members and the things they write about on “public forum” that are illegal!! 

the forum itself point’s people in the wrong direction and gives the impression to put yourself out there and show a willingness to learn,  An exert from a pinned topic at the top of the wanted section :-

“This section has been provided so that members, irrespective of their time on the forum or post count, can request shooting opportunities.

Following another spate of established members derailing threads with unhelpful posts, this is notice that such conduct will not be tolerated, and that repeat offenders will have their accounts restricted without further notice.”

In my opinion that points new members to their own downfall and the fact that a mod/admin has had to warn established members says more about those members than the etiquette of a newbie!

Either way the response I received to that mistake has not phased me one bit, and neither has the complete lack of response to my very first post (introducing myself) 54 views and two responses 👏🏻👏🏻 Round of applause ladies and gentlemen (And you wonder why people don’t bother to introduce themselves).  I’ve continued to use the forum irrespective of first impressions , I’ve purchased from the forsale section, I’ve tried to point a fellow newbie in the direction of a good coach for clay shooting and will continue to float about and learn what I can because I have a genuine interest and a genuine willingness to learn! (Don’t forget though, I’m a thoughtless newbie that knows no better 😉)

You can all continue sitting behind your computers/phones and write bitchy little threads like this (that the newbies can read) and moan about the “thoughtless newbies”  that will “ never work out the correct way”  and be “baffled” and “annoyed”  and think it’s “disrespectful”  or........ you could try and point the likes of me and no doubt many before me in the right direction and integrate us into the correct way of doing things?!......or you can just continue with threads like this.....no skin off my nose

It’s no wonder fieldsports have such a bad reputation for being clicky and closed circle and full of toffs when you can stumble across pathetic tosh like this with a simple google search, it also makes you realise why people don’t bother to get involved 

Very very well said ! I have just joined purely in solidarity for Spr whom I know personally. I take a great pleasure in taking out new hunters and passing on my knowledge, enthusiasm and passion for what I do be it going for pigeons or taking someone out on their first stalk for deer......something more 'hunters' need to think about doing rather than slating those who have yet to gain such knowledge and the ability to pass it on to others.

It's fine to have a discussion about how people feel about this issue in sections like this, but the problems start when it spills over into people's posts in the Shooting Wanted section, and this has started again lately.

This forum has sadly had a rather poor record for members who just like to give others a kick or put new people through it out of boredom or because they think themselves established members who can flaunt the rules, or whatever.  There are still a few on here, but there are plenty more who have found out the hard way that that dog will only hunt for so long, whoever they are - you'll find them on other forums and Facebook pages crying about how cruel we were to ban them after they saw fit to ignore our requests, and then warnings, to stop it. 

The treatment some new people have had, whether it is directly going after people or being snidey about their first posts not being in the welcome section or up to their expectations is simply bullying, and it's going to stop one way or another.  We have had enough of people, especially new shooters, getting a virtual roughing-up on here and leaving with a bad impression of the forum, or even worse, put off the sport itself.

To the newbies, if you want to ask for shooting, it's fine.  Go ahead - you're very welcome to be here.  It'd be nice if you tell us a bit about yourself and get involved in other areas of the forum too, but that's up to you.  Ignore the anoraks who just cant leave things alone - their personal views on what you should or shouldnt be doing on here are their opinions only, and dont overrule the explicitly stated view of the owner of Pigeonwatch that you may request opportunities irrespective of your time on the forum.  

To the handful who keep on pulling at the loose bit of thread on this matter directly in the Shooting Wanted section, re-read the link below please and know that one or two of you are mighty close to finding out where the end of it is, irrespective of your post count or time on the forum.  

5 hours ago, Zapp said:

It's fine to have a discussion about how people feel about this issue in sections like this, but the problems start when it spills over into people's posts in the Shooting Wanted section, and this has started again lately.

This forum has sadly had a rather poor record for members who just like to give others a kick or put new people through it out of boredom or because they think themselves established members who can flaunt the rules, or whatever.  There are still a few on here, but there are plenty more who have found out the hard way that that dog will only hunt for so long, whoever they are - you'll find them on other forums and Facebook pages crying about how cruel we were to ban them after they saw fit to ignore our requests, and then warnings, to stop it. 

The treatment some new people have had, whether it is directly going after people or being snidey about their first posts not being in the welcome section or up to their expectations is simply bullying, and it's going to stop one way or another.  We have had enough of people, especially new shooters, getting a virtual roughing-up on here and leaving with a bad impression of the forum, or even worse, put off the sport itself.

To the newbies, if you want to ask for shooting, it's fine.  Go ahead - you're very welcome to be here.  It'd be nice if you tell us a bit about yourself and get involved in other areas of the forum too, but that's up to you.  Ignore the anoraks who just cant leave things alone - their personal views on what you should or shouldnt be doing on here are their opinions only, and dont overrule the explicitly stated view of the owner of Pigeonwatch that you may request opportunities irrespective of your time on the forum.  

To the handful who keep on pulling at the loose bit of thread on this matter directly in the Shooting Wanted section, re-read the link below please and know that one or two of you are mighty close to finding out where the end of it is, irrespective of your post count or time on the forum.  

So we can discuss this amongst the long established members as long as it doesn't spill out in to the Shooting Wanted Section?

We can register our feelings that new members should perhaps look around and make a few posts before they ask for permission to shoot?

We can request that new members introduce themselves to the Forum in the New Members Section?

But in the long run this is a commercial moneymaking operation and we the long term members views are not accepted because it may well reduce the member count and the attraction of the site to paying advertisers?

In the past, I believe you had to be a Member for a certain amount of time before you could post and then have a reasonable post count before you could sell an item, is my memory correct?

This is a wonderful Forum full of great information (if you can be bothered to search for it), a lot of very knowledgeable Members and some really helpful and generous people, we do great things and have raised a lot of money for the Orchid Male Cancer Charity. But we the long established Members are not allowed to steer the direction that the Forum goes in any way?

I have been on Internet fora for a loooong time, the problem as I see it has nothing to do with shooting it has everything to do with new joiners jumping in with both feet expecting everything on a plate without even enough politeness to "meet" the other members in a introduction post!!, it happens on lots of forums on different subjects, ALWAYS with the same outcome.

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So we can discuss this amongst the long established members as long as it doesn't spill out in to the Shooting Wanted Section?

We can register our feelings that new members should perhaps look around and make a few posts before they ask for permission to shoot?

We can request that new members introduce themselves to the Forum in the New Members Section?

But in the long run this is a commercial moneymaking operation and we the long term members views are not accepted because it may well reduce the member count and the attraction of the site to paying advertisers?

In the past, I believe you had to be a Member for a certain amount of time before you could post and then have a reasonable post count before you could sell an item, is my memory correct?

This is a wonderful Forum full of great information (if you can be bothered to search for it), a lot of very knowledgeable Members and some really helpful and generous people, we do great things and have raised a lot of money for the Orchid Male Cancer Charity. But we the long established Members are not allowed to steer the direction that the Forum goes in any way?

Isn't discussing the matter exactly what has been happening on this thread? Of course you can. 

But ultimately it's up to Teal how the forum is run, and new people constantly getting the torch and pitchfork treatment is not right or fair in the shooting wanted or any other section.  Nobody wants people to feel bullied on here, as I'm sure you'll agree.

With regard to PW being a money making operation, you couldn't be further from the truth. Trade membership and merchandise sales are what pay to keep the forum here, along with the work of unpaid volunteers.

If I could just add my two penneth. I understand forum rules and of course the site owner has the final say in how his forum is run. I know only too well how hard it is to find a happy medium between being a dictatorship that crushes the life out of members and letting them run amok.

Of course new members can say what they like within the rules and they aren't "lesser" members because they are new, same as older members aren't "senior."

There will always be differences of opinion, but ultimately most of us are grown men and should take whatever is said on the chin.

On a purely personal note, I find it irksome when someone (no names mentioned) takes offence about "bitchy little threads" then writes a long post berating members for daring to have an opinion, and lecturing them on what they can and can't say. Ironic really as that's exactly what they are moaning about themselves.