Concealed toilet cistern

spandit

Was wondering (read: shouting obscenities) today why my concealed cistern kept leaking after I'd had to replace the syphon unit (and flush assembly). Turns out that it had a crack in the bottom and having to cut the rusty screws off with a bare hacksaw blade with very little access meant that getting it out was a PITA.

Anyway, it's out now and will need replacing but it seems that you can only buy the cistern and syphon assemblies, not just the bare tank. Seems like a waste of money when the syphon and flush handles are brand new. If anyone has a link to just a tank, I'd be grateful.

We once had a cistern that had a crack in the back where the screws had been tighten up to much , the problem we had was it was a discontinued colour and we couldn't get a new one , the bathroom suite was old and would have been a nightmare to replace , one of our blokes had a friend who work at a boat builders and said he can get it repaired , when it came back it had been fibre glassed all around the inside of the cistern , we put it back on the wall , replaced the syphon unit and as far as I know it never leaked again , was well worth the few quid it cost for the repair . 

I think I'm going to have to put in a push button one as that's all I can find locally, Hopefully I can get the flush handle surround out as had to glue it in as the tiled plasterboard it was fitted in is damaged. Never dreamt replacing a simple tank would be such an ordeal. That's my day tomorrow ruined then

6 minutes ago, spandit said:

Yes. There's a circular raised moulding that take the pipe and it's cracked around that. Difficult to see but an obvious weak point

how big is the area around the pipe hole that you maybe able to glue a thin plastic sheet over the crack ? and re drill 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

8 hours ago, figgy said:

Would do if I could get it today. It's the whole system, though, not just the tank. I'm going to get this one:

https://www.toolstation.com/viva-skylo-compact-universal-concealed-cistern/p53849

It should work. The one in your link is internal overflow, most will give a telltale trickle and if the float valve goes the flush valve repeatedly flushes to stop it flooding the house.

Any cistern can leak into the pan, it's the flush valve that allows it on modern cisterns or ones that have been swapped when old ones have broken.

Spandit the one I linked too has insulation around the water level as they can suffer with condensation on the enclosed space.

Another tip is use rubber tap washers between screwheads and plastic if it don't come with appropriate plastic or steel and rubber washers in the kit. It helps stop the cistern cracking after a while. Don't overtighten the screws either they only need to hold it.

Edited by figgy

25 minutes ago, manthing said:

Is your cistern not just a high level one with the extended lever bar. Or am I reading this wrong. 

No. It's a low level concealed cistern. I ended up patching it with CT1 and it's currently not leaking. Buys me some time to find a permanent solution.