What Do You Prefer,Plastic Or Fibre Wads Cartridges?

marsh man

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fibre every time.After a pigeon or crow shooting ,walk around the decoy pattern and if you are using plastic it is quite concerning how many are left laying in the field.With steel shot the plastic wads are even bigger.The sooner some alternative is found the better.

I believe I posted about my experience (singular) with fibre wads a couple of years ago.

Pigeons were returning to a wood having been feeding on beans. My hide was on a point outside the wood and the return line came close to my position, close enough to get plenty of shooting. A grateful farmer had given me a slab of Gamebore fibre wads and 30 grams in no. 6 shot. I just couldn’t believe how many birds were not killed cleanly first shot. Virtually every bird needed two shots. When those cartridges ran out I went back to the car for my usual Hull Superfasts in plastic. The difference was instantaneous.

I always use fibre unless shooting clays.  This year on the pheasants I decided to treat myself to some hull high pheasant and hull high pheasant extreme both 32g 5s fibre and i couldn't have been more impressed.  I don't shoot many pheasants only shoot a few beaters and walk around day and found these really dropped them . I used to use clear pigeon 32g 6 fibre but after trying these won't be going back for pheasants.  

Though I keep the clear pigeons for pigeons as I have always found them very effective on them 

Edited by Ferret664

51 minutes ago, JDog said:

I believe I posted about my experience (singular) with fibre wads a couple of years ago.

Pigeons were returning to a wood having been feeding on beans. My hide was on a point outside the wood and the return line came close to my position, close enough to get plenty of shooting. A grateful farmer had given me a slab of Gamebore fibre wads and 30 grams in no. 6 shot. I just couldn’t believe how many birds were not killed cleanly first shot. Virtually every bird needed two shots. When those cartridges ran out I went back to the car for my usual Hull Superfasts in plastic. The difference was instantaneous.

I am glad I wasn't the only one who found the difference from what you are used to after using the fibre wad variety.

Looking at the above replies the majority of members are more than happy with fibre and I have no reason to disagree with them , absolutely nothing wrong with them and I am sure if I had to use fibre I would after using a lot eventually find them to my liking , it's just that they don't suit me and after a few shots with poor results I had lost all confidence in them , we can and do have off days like anyone else do , but then using what I am used to on the same day I went from hopping the long tails gave me a wide berth , to expecting to hit anything that presented itself , and like you say , the difference was instantaneous .

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:16, marsh man said:

Looking at the above replies the majority of members are more than happy with fibre and I have no reason to disagree with them , absolutely nothing wrong with them and I am sure if I had to use fibre I would after using a lot eventually find them to my liking 

I think I'm not exaggerating by saying: Those of us new to this shotgun lark have only shot fibre. 

All the clay grounds local to me have banned plastic (I think), the DIY syndicate I'm part of has, and I won't risk any other permissions I may secure by littering it with plastic parachutes  (if I felt the urge to use different carts that is, I've got enough issues with consistency!).

Probably as well for the old boys to get used to it, in my not-so-humble opinion, as there are bigger battles to fight that will impact the future of the sport.

On 05/02/2019 at 21:16, marsh man said:

I am glad I wasn't the only one who found the difference from what you are used to after using the fibre wad variety.

Looking at the above replies the majority of members are more than happy with fibre and I have no reason to disagree with them , absolutely nothing wrong with them and I am sure if I had to use fibre I would after using a lot eventually find them to my liking , it's just that they don't suit me and after a few shots with poor results I had lost all confidence in them , we can and do have off days like anyone else do , but then using what I am used to on the same day I went from hopping the long tails gave me a wide berth , to expecting to hit anything that presented itself , and like you say , the difference was instantaneous .

This is an in the mind thing, if you had no idea what you were using then you would shoot as you always do

Plas wad where I can.

Lets be honest this is pigeon watch a dedicated pigeon shooting site. We have been using plas wads for over 50 years where are these piles of wads all over the land?

Well you shoot pigeons over arable land so they get ploughed in. Gone.

You shoot grouse on a moor it gets burnt. Gone

You shoot pigeons and game in a wood, the leaves come down bury the wads. Gone

Clay grounds are getting more like lawns because they can run over the areas with lawnmowers and collect the wads!

As for clean kills you don't get better kills with fibres. But things are now finally getting better.

I hear Gamebore have a revolutionary announcement coming very soon!

8 minutes ago, Perazzishot said:

Plas wad where I can.

Lets be honest this is pigeon watch a dedicated pigeon shooting site. We have been using plas wads for over 50 years where are these piles of wads all over the land?

Well you shoot pigeons over arable land so they get ploughed in. Gone.

You shoot grouse on a moor it gets burnt. Gone

You shoot pigeons and game in a wood, the leaves come down bury the wads. Gone

Clay grounds are getting more like lawns because they can run over the areas with lawnmowers and collect the wads!

As for clean kills you don't get better kills with fibres. But things are now finally getting better.

I hear Gamebore have a revolutionary announcement coming very soon!

Westland shooting ground can look a mess when it’s coveted in plastic wads, but I don’t know of any farmers whom have expressed  a preference. I could understand it if they had, but a farmer in our local syndicate shoots plastic and says they don’t effect livestock one way or the other. 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

Westland shooting ground can look a mess when it’s coveted in plastic wads, but I don’t know of any farmers whom have expressed  a preference. I could understand it if they had, but a farmer in our local syndicate shoots plastic and says they don’t effect livestock one way or the other. 

A vet actually told me that freshly shot fibre are worse for livestock as they can swell in the stomach/bowel but they would need a few to cause any serious injury. In both cases they generally pass through unfaultered. 

Another issue which I was told about last year was M&S Green Veg, all UK grown crops Sprouts, Cabbage, Lettuce, Kale, Cauliflower are passed through a metal detector if any gunshot is found in the crop from that field the whole field of crop will be rejected by M&S! Nothing about wads. Nothing about Steel or Lead. Just shot!

On 05/02/2019 at 21:16, marsh man said:

maybe a daft reply but could the fibre loads be a tiny bit slower than your normal plastic, resulting in a bird shot further aft

I actually prefer to shoot fibre these days and can't tell any noticeable difference in performance. Having said that my guns are usually old and pretty well worn so perhaps the fibre wad suits the barrels better?

Any way I will be sticking with fibre wads and won't miss scrubbing that plastic residue out of the barrel chamber after a busy day. Just a shame the run of the mill steel loads are plas wad only.

9 hours ago, Diss4111 said:

This is an in the mind thing, if you had no idea what you were using then you would shoot as you always do

From my own limited experience in the shooting field shooting poorly with a different cartridge, in this case fibre wadded ones, was not an ‘in the mind thing’.

The second part of your sentence explains all to me. Shooting as per normal with cartridges which were different from ones usually used could easily explain the poor performance.