What Do You Prefer,Plastic Or Fibre Wads Cartridges?

marsh man

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 04/02/2019 at 22:46, Jason_ox said:

If it was up to me not only would we all be using fibre, we would all be using paper cases as well! 

I don't think the older wild fowling fraternity would be to keen to go back to the days of swelled paper cases that you couldn't get into the chamber once they got damp in your pocket , unless of course they can come up with a water prof paper case to replace plastic . 

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

I don't think the older wild fowling fraternity would be to keen to go back to the days of swelled paper cases that you couldn't get into the chamber once they got damp in your pocket , unless of course they can come up with a water prof paper case to replace plastic . 

Have to agree

nothing wrong with plastic cases aslong as they are picked up and disposed of in a proper manner or recycled into reloading

Paper casers have their use but are expensive?

why i do not know as surely paper case carts should be cheaper to manufacture

13 hours ago, islandgun said:

maybe a daft reply but could the fibre loads be a tiny bit slower than your normal plastic, resulting in a bird shot further aft

I don't think it's a daft reply islandgun , in fact it sound quite feasible .

I have never been that interested in the ballistic side of the ins and out on how certain cartridges perform , they could well had been a fraction slower than the ones I was used to , but I would find it difficult to alter my style of shooting to allow for a few boxes of cartridges being a bit on the slow side .

What started off as a simple question on the heading of this thread ,have now had some really interesting replies , many thanks to those who have voiced there opinion, it's all part of making this such a worthwhile forum . 

Hi 

I always try and use paper cases and fibre wads for my game shooting 

unless it’s going to be very wet then the obvious problems arise 

what have I noticed the difference between the same cartridge in paper case to that of plastic is noticeable in both recoil and killing the birds the paper comes out on top 

other noteable points keepers comments ( wish more people used them) where do you get them 

and other guns using them 

just my thoughts 

of 

On 05/02/2019 at 10:26, Walker570 said:

.....and of course we ALL have an off day don't we ?

I do advise checking the patterns though. It took me a while to discover that the #3 choke which i suppose is about 3/4 in my Yilditz o/u grouped best and then fine tuned it to the 18.7 load of shot/19.7 SP3.  I know that load patterns about as good as it gets at 35yrds so when I have a day like I had recently where I went from my normal 2.5 to 3 to 1, to more like 5 to 6 to one then it is me and I discovered I was wearing a different coat because it was bitter cold, it was thicker and more restrictive, so next day changed back to my thinner fleece and back to normal.

There are so many variables.

hello walker, not to off track this cartridge posting topic how do you get on with your Yildiz, any problems ? i was contemplating one last shotgun purchase in 12 bore, it ticks all the boxes i want including steel shot and the right LOP and i can get one  for £400 non ejector or £500 ejector , 

25 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I have never been that interested in the ballistic side of the ins and out on how certain cartridges perform , they could well had been a fraction slower than the ones I was used to , but I would find it difficult to alter my style of shooting to allow for a few boxes of cartridges being a bit on the slow side .

What started off as a simple question on the heading of this thread ,have now had some really interesting replies , many thanks to those who have voiced there opinion, it's all part of making this such a worthwhile forum . 

I believe that as is suggested above, this could also be a reason why occasional users do not rate steel cartridges? 

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Reading through, the above goes back to what J Dog said about birds not being killed cleanly. Another equally sensible possibility would be a more open pattern failing to give the required strike rate in order to produce a clean kill. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that this is the more likel scenario of the two.

Fibre

Edited by wymberley

I think the pattern is just a touch wider than  with plastic but that said I notice no real difference in performance between fibre and plastic. At the ranges I shoot (sub 40 yards decoying mostly) I find 1/4 and 1/2 chokes just fine. If I was shooting over that on say high  flighting birds (rare) or those that skirt the pattern but won't commit (more often than I'd like) then maybe I'd tighten up with fibre and not with plastic. That's when I have noticed a difference but only then. 

Under that range I couldn't tell you in a blind test which was what, nor can i tell between 7.5, 7, 6.5 or 6 as they all do the job if you hit the bird but that's a whole other topic.......

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:37, motty said:

I really think we should be careful what we wish for.

Quite right, don't call for things to be banned, just gives ammo to the antis. 

Yes phase out plastic wads but then they are needed for most steel/tungsten etc. fowling loads. 

Going back to all paper cases is not practical and its easy enough to clear up your cases at the end of the day

On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 11:03, panoma1 said:

I believe that as is suggested above, this could also be a reason why occasional users do not rate steel cartridges? 

Speeds are not usually too different for the user to notice any significant changes in the amount of lead required. 1400 fps vs 1250 fps is a few inches difference at 40 yards.

Reading these posts with interest

It appears that some only shoot what they are used too and will not diversify and so are engrossed in their plastic wad cartridges

I will agree with many on here to the abolition of plastic wad on game shoots  Yes guns pick up their empty plastic  cases BUT i have never seen a shooter go round and pick up their plastic wads which is near hand impossible in rough ground and their is no time in the day to try

Whereas a local clay ground to me has well manicured grounds where they have a machine to drive round and pick up most plastic wads

What i would suggest to the plastic wad shooters that say they cannot get on with fibre  Is get some fibre and practice with them and you will adapt your shooting  to  fibre cartridges

As been said there is very little difference

We had a get together in the summer  as we do every year laid on by the estate owner for a clay shoot and barbie for all that beaters and pickers up on our local estate and this is set up as a proper game shoot   ie a grouse drive  a partridge drive and high pheasant

I was using only game carts in fibre and was out shooting  with the guys and girls using clay guns and  carts with plastic cups Even  my gamekeepr mate who stood behind me the whole time  on each stand was asking what the hell i was using . Game gun with fibre game carts in fibre was my reply

I recently purchased a thousand copper coated fibre carts from George at Proper cartridges and put them through their paces on our third day of our beaters day through fixed choke 1/4 & 1/2 Macnab and every bird i dropped was stone dead and some were at a helluv a distance  and i was shooting with some that were using plastic wad To which i take the mick

But these said pesrons are now rethinking their attitude on plastic wads Especialy when i pointed out that Propecartidges were cheaper than their cypriot plastic wad counterparts

That was another point that came to alight with these Victory cartridges from Cyprus  My two mates handed a few out to a few of us to try

Four guns from five found the spent cartridges were split from end to end

I handed out some propercartridges to these old boys to try in return a mate gave me a couple of these Victory starlite to try

Yes i got two birds with his two cartridges but took my next 3 birds with my fibre carts in the same gun  Hence what is the advantage of plastic wad???

Hence FIBRE all the time for me  Shoot nothing else and have done in decades

there are several cartridges available now that are have biodegradeble plasi wads...i have picked these wads up after a year in the field and they crumble in your hands........now what they crumble into is something i would like to know   !!.........and there is and has been a lot of R&D in the plastics industry experimenting with wheat starch as it makes a plastic type of material.............apparently the first thing they want to try to replace is cling film.............there is technology out there...but it needs laws and money to impliment it..........

30 minutes ago, ditchman said:

there are several cartridges available now that are have biodegradeble plasi wads...i have picked these wads up after a year in the field and they crumble in your hands........now what they crumble into is something i would like to know   !!.........and there is and has been a lot of R&D in the plastics industry experimenting with wheat starch as it makes a plastic type of material.............apparently the first thing they want to try to replace is cling film.............there is technology out there...but it needs laws and money to impliment it..........

Oooooh! Never rub that sort of stuff in your hands, you will either grow extra fingers or shake so much you cannot drink good red wine!

12 hours ago, motty said:

Speeds are not usually too different for the user to notice any significant changes in the amount of lead required. 1400 fps vs 1250 fps is a few inches difference at 40 yards.

Any difference in a projectiles speed from point A to point B will affect the point of impact on a moving target!.....a few inches could be the difference between hitting the target centrally or up the rear!

26 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Any difference in a projectiles speed from point A to point B will affect the point of impact on a moving target!.....a few inches could be the difference between hitting the target centrally or up the rear!

I’m not sure how anyone could say with any authority that the reason they hit a target up the chuff rather than up front was down to the speed of the cartridge; I know I couldn’t. 

I have never looked at comparative speeds when selecting such.

Personally I think each person just gets used to a certain cartridge and shoots accordingly; anyone who believes they have  to consciously make allowances for speed with each cartridge they put in their gun from a mixed bag is surely on a hiding to nothing. 

I often use up left overs of various cartridges of differing brands and types when in a hide, and just shoot each bird accordingly. If I miss or hit one up the chuff, I just put it down to me.

Maybe some can tell, I couldn’t. 

41 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m not sure how anyone could say with any authority that the reason they hit a target up the chuff rather than up front was down to the speed of the cartridge; I know I couldn’t. 

Personally I think each person just gets used to a certain cartridge and shoots accordingly; anyone who believes they have  to consciously make allowances for speed with each cartridge they put in their gun from a mixed bag is surely on a hiding to nothing. 

I often use up left overs of various cartridges of differing brands and types when in a hide, and just shoot each bird accordingly. If I miss or hit one up the chuff, I just put it down to me.

This is the truest statement I've read in a long time. Anyone who can say they hit a bird in the rear end because of a cartridge being slower is a plain liar. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Yes I agree consistently missing is down to the shooter, but accurate shooting is about making minor sub conscious adjustments to suit differing influences.......range of target, speed of shot load and speed of target are three such adjustments!

You will not put a shot load travelling at 1150fps on a target moving at 40mph, at 40yds range, in the same place as you will a shotload travelling at 1450fps on a target travelling at 40mph at 40yds range by giving a target the same amount of lead!....Unless you make the minor adjustments to suit the different speed a shot load travels at.....same goes for differing speeds and differing ranges of the target

1 hour ago, Diss4111 said:

This is the truest statement I've read in a long time. Anyone who can say they hit a bird in the rear end because of a cartridge being slower is a plain liar. 

Well that's a useful contribution to the debate! 

Edited by panoma1

10 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Yes I agree consistently missing is down to the shooter, but accurate shooting is about making minor sub conscious adjustments to suit differing influences.......range of target, speed of shot load and speed of target are three such adjustments!

You will not put a shot load travelling at 1150fps on a target moving at 40mph, at 40yds range, in the same place as you will a shotload travelling at 1450fps on a target travelling at 40mph at 40yds range by giving a target the same amount of lead!....Unless you make the minor adjustments to suit the different speed a shot load travels at.....same goes for differing speeds and differing ranges of the target

Well that's a useful contribution to the debate! 

More useful that a lot of the drivel spouted on here