Ridgeline ?

islandgun

58 minutes ago, islandgun said:

😁😁 brillant..I suspected that but felt i should ask ....thanks for that folks

Harkila then..😉

I've not had harkila myself but I know they own seeland as well . I've had nothing but problems with seelands kraft force trousers not even six months old and I've gone through two pairs having them sent back again as the stitching has failed in the exact same place as the first pair. Defiently do a review on harkila before you go to the expense!

37 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

I've not had harkila myself but I know they own seeland as well . I've had nothing but problems with seelands kraft force trousers not even six months old and I've gone through two pairs having them sent back again as the stitching has failed in the exact same place as the first pair. Defiently do a review on harkila before you go to the expense!

cheers Stephen, im liking the harkila orton jacket, it seems to tick all my boxes, long, light, two way zip etc etc it also comes recommended by welshwarrior on here..... would be happy to hear of anyone elses opinion on it or other coats though

12 minutes ago, chilly1981 said:

No but not bretheable enough when your getting soaked in sweat 

I’ve got ridgleine monsoon it’s good for sitting about in but soon as start getting a little strenuous soaked in sweat. 

Do same walks in me goretex or Lowe alpine tripple point  and im just warm not sweaty

Im using a buffalo belay for long upland walks after woodcock etc,  great jackets but the belay is short, and if worn next to the skin prone to be draughty on the small of the back, Its a toss up between the Harkila Orton or the Buffalo special six, the Orton would also be useful for other types of shooting but the buffalo is designed for strenuous work. I liked the look of the Ridgeline but suspected it would be hot !

Ok my view 

ridge line moonsoon great on a wet day in a high seat not a walking jacket. 

Harkilla orton my go to game shooting coat and general wear

harkilla pro hunter never get wet don’t sweat but bulky that it needs to be but wear it stalking in the main. 

Musto Fenland and Highland(think that’s the right name) where my go to game coats until I got the orton and Fenland is now worn out 3 year 

buffalo special 6 hill walking kit and colder days stalking under a goretex 

Larsen Mufflon great coat but heavy when wet B line up for me. 

Sherwood coat dog walking and jeans coat when it looks rough it’ll go beating no longer really waterproof. 

Ive other coat (starting to think I’ve a problem) 

but if I only had one it’d be the orton and I’d buy another one at the current price paid more for much worst coats in the past. 

I once wore mine beating in the rain, thought it was as much good as a black bin bag. I got that hot and sweaty I was better off without it.

Tried it on the marsh, not warm enough on its own for sitting in and too restrictive with and layers under.

Not worn once in last two years.

Herters jacket from Cabela's USA is my go too for walking and sitting in.

10 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Ok my view 

ridge line moonsoon great on a wet day in a high seat not a walking jacket. 

Harkilla orton my go to game shooting coat and general wear

harkilla pro hunter never get wet don’t sweat but bulky that it needs to be but wear it stalking in the main. 

Musto Fenland and Highland(think that’s the right name) where my go to game coats until I got the orton and Fenland is now worn out 3 year 

buffalo special 6 hill walking kit and colder days stalking under a goretex 

Larsen Mufflon great coat but heavy when wet B line up for me. 

Sherwood coat dog walking and jeans coat when it looks rough it’ll go beating no longer really waterproof. 

Ive other coat (starting to think I’ve a problem) 

but if I only had one it’d be the orton and I’d buy another one at the current price paid more for much worst coats in the past. 

Thanks everyone for the great replies [as ever] ,  welshwarrior..  My Kids are convinced i need help with my jacket obsession, to the point that i now feel compelled to ask for a plain brown wrapper when they are sent through the post. [ a difficulty i have,  living on an island] I think the Orton is the most adaptable and most practical for my requirements. light enough for a walk on the moor in August with a base layer and suitable to be the outer in January, perhaps with my buffalo as mid layer. 

I had a ridgeline jacket a few years back, I did loose a lot of weight :lol:. I had a nice surprise this year, I wanted a cheapish lightweight stalking jacket and bought a make I had never heard of before, Precision. I got caught in some serious rain an it stayed lovely and dry plus the sweat doesn't drip out of my sleeves.

20 minutes ago, Redgum said:

I had a ridgeline jacket a few years back, I did loose a lot of weight . I had a nice surprise this year, I wanted a cheapish lightweight stalking jacket and bought a make I had never heard of before, Precision. I got caught in some serious rain an it stayed lovely and dry plus the sweat doesn't drip out of my sleeves.

Do you mean Percussion?

They seem good stuff but I've only seen their items online... from a bit of digging I believe they are behind the Solognac shooting clothing found in Decathlon stores (both brands are French, at least) which I am very impressed with - and it's at bargain prices!

I was talking to a couple of highland stalkers recently who had good things to say about the latest version of the ridgeline smocks, the elite mk2 I think? 

They had the same negative comments as everyone else about the original ridgeline fabric, but felt this new one was an improvement. They certainly get to test their kit more than most as subject to some severe weather up there. 

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:43, Harry Callahan said:

Do you mean Percussion?

They seem good stuff but I've only seen their items online... from a bit of digging I believe they are behind the Solognac shooting clothing found in Decathlon stores (both brands are French, at least) which I am very impressed with - and it's at bargain prices!

Yes I mean Percussion, so far so good for both trousers and jacket, plus the jackets are very well cut.