Storing Cartridges in the loft

Is this advisable? I have a floored loft but it’s not heated other than what’s coming from the house underneath. More are steel for Wildfowling so I don’t go through them overly quickly so it would be longer term storage. Space in the house is limited so I’m trying to find an alternative area to store them. 

Thanks again folks 

I live in an annex above the garage, so essentially it's a loft with a bathroom  lol, mine are in the cupboards that run either side and I haven't any any problems yet. 

I'm pretty sure the slab of comp x I picked up the other day had something about storing at 18-25 degrees, not going to get them sort of temperatures where I am and it wasn't anywhere near that where the rfd had them. 

Edited by Farmboy91

22 minutes ago, roadkill said:

i thinking of storing a load in my shed/workshop. Coldest it drops to is 9, but most nights in the winter its sitting around 13

I would still bring the required amount into the house, the day before I shot.  I left some in my car overnight a few years ago. They were fibre wadded game cartridges, my barrels were full of unburned powder flakes after I used them. I have never left them out overnight since and my barrels are clean after use.

• 2 months later...

Just found this topic; what exactly happens if the carts are cold? Is the pattern upset for instance? I did see a YouTube video where cold carts seemed to leave more residue particles in the barrel. Mine are in the insulated attic in a steel box, they are in their individual boxes and I've used this storage for about 9 years. Most times I get them and the gun out and go straight off to the field. So what difference does a cold cartridge make? Find it hard to believe a steel cart would rust inside without getting properly damp.

On 06/02/2019 at 19:39, Westley said:

I store mine in the loft with no problem and no special storage facilities, just in their 250 cardboard cases.  I have stored them there for the last 15 years, I just bring the required amount down the day before I am shooting.

Yes, me too!! Never any special storage facilities in the loft and never had an issue

On 07/04/2019 at 07:12, getthegat said:

Just found this topic; what exactly happens if the carts are cold? Is the pattern upset for instance? I did see a YouTube video where cold carts seemed to leave more residue particles in the barrel. Mine are in the insulated attic in a steel box, they are in their individual boxes and I've used this storage for about 9 years. Most times I get them and the gun out and go straight off to the field. So what difference does a cold cartridge make? Find it hard to believe a steel cart would rust inside without getting properly damp.

I’d like to know this too. 

Apart from being cold - what effect will it have on the shooting? 

Its more the powder types used single based double based etc, some are more cold sensitive than others , it can mean dirty burning to loosing some FPS and patterns can be effected sometimes.  How much any of this actually translates into an issue on performance cartridge to kills is open to debate.  I don’t think storing cartridges in a sewer is a good idea but a cold loft in the uk :hmm: Probably not much at all with many of today’s powders.

I emptied 6500 out my truck at the end of last season, stayed in the shed with the thermostat radiators in all year and were good as gold at the start of this season just gone.

I'll usually heat my cartridges on a radiator for 24 hours if they are coming out the truck though!

Don't think storing them in a loft should be any bother John!