Would Someone Please.........

wymberley

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, old'un said:

I always thought you were into reloading or am I thinking of someone else?

Me rifle only.

Can anyone tell me anything about the 56E as I simply have no idea?

18 minutes ago, snow white said:

I went in gun shop up here few years ago just looking seen a lovely 20 sxs Charlie’s osborne pick it put down picked it put down out the shop back in shop after half a dozen times doing this I came out of the shop with it so I now how you feel  buy the bloody thing you will regret it later if you don’t 

Someone has just done that with my 12 sbs hammer gun of the same make except on his final visit he left without it. :unhappy:

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

The woodwork looks a bit naff, or does it look better in the flesh?

No, not really. Functional is the word I think we're looking for. My guess is that even after the pad is fitted the comb height will need to be dropped and in which case I'll see if I can talk the guys into doing something about it.

It must be said by the way, that this thread turned out to be an abject failure. :yes:

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It is nearly as old as the new owner!:rolleyes:

Can the Ser. No. be used to assess its age? Haven't a clue about Beretta.

3 minutes ago, wymberley said:

No, not really. Functional is the word I think we're looking for. My guess is that even after the pad is fitted the comb height will need to be dropped and in which case I'll see if I can talk the guys into doing something about it.

It must be said by the way, that this thread turned out to be an abject failure. :yes:

Can the Ser. No. be used to assess its age? Haven't a clue about Beretta.

On the base of the barrel block there should be a 2 letter code near to the proof mark.

Find that and we can decode it for you, i reckon mid 1960s.

Alternatively it may be 2 or 3 Roman numerals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2019 at 17:46, old'un said:

The woodwork looks a bit naff, or does it look better in the flesh?

Yep, you were quite right but you want to see it now - and it isn't even finished. Don't get me wrong, we're not talking Boss Exhibition here, but that manky dark brown varnish with no sign of any grain is no more.

Edited by wymberley

4 hours ago, wymberley said:

Yep, you were quite right but you want to see it now - and it isn't even finished. Don't get me wrong, we're not talking Boss Exhibition here, but that manky dark brown varnish with no sign of any grain is no more.

I look forward to seeing some pictures of the finished gun. :good:

As requested.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

That's better. None of the wood grain could be seen under the varnish. The barrels are a tad longer than advertised - a little under 26.5" - 670mm? - and the choke is 1/2 and Full. This fooled me at first - and I think whoever measured them for the advert which gave them as 1/4 by 3/4. I know nothing about Beretta really and was wondering why the barrels measured what I checked until I belatedly read what was marked - 16 - which converts to what I found c0.630". So at .615 and .605 we have 15 and 25 points. That'll do nicely. I wasn't aware that Beretta didn't do the 0.615"