SGC/FAC with cautions

pez91

Hey guys, first post here but been a fan of the site for a long time. After years of enjoying taget shooting with slingshots/bows/crossbows/air rifles, iv recently taken an interest in firearms and plan to pursue my SGC/FAC.

I started going clay pigeon shooting every few weeks, and going to a shooting range once a month or so. I live in a rural area where its not uncommon for people to aquire there licenses.

The only problem i see myself facing is that i have 2 cautions for burglary when i was 13 years old. 2 cautions for cannabis, one when i was 17 and one when i was 20. And a caution for possesion of a bladed article when i was 17. (wow that sounds bad when its written down). Im now 28 years old, i live with my partner of 8 years, we have a 4 year old daughter and i run my own business.

Needless to say im a reformed individual, but i worry that the police wont see it that way. Its my understanding that if you spend 3 years or less in prison that you are only banned for 5 years from owning firearms, considering that most of my cautions were from 10-15 years ago and that iv never even been to court what are my chances of been accepted????

Opinions welcome but what id really like is someone with direct knowledge of gaining an FAC or SGC with similar criminal history. 

Thanks guys.

Edited by pez91

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your only chance is to be honest. 

Personally,  I think it's very unlikely you would be granted any certificates. The offences are not that long ago and are serious, especially the offensive weapon one. 

Saying that, there was a recent thread and some of the previous convictions folk on here have and who have firearms was worrying. 

I wish you luck if you genuinely have changed. If you are unsuccessful this time, continue to keep out of trouble and show your keeness for the sport by going shooting with clubs, under supervision etc.

I'd say there's a 50/50 chance assuming your FEO feels comfortable about how you have turned your life around.

I personally would have suggested you maybe wait a couple more years. Some of us had a not dissimilar past and sorted themselves out a bit later in life than most and people who reform are quite often more resolute to keep their reform.

Edited by Dave-G

Have a look at this topic

and in particular this post

Like others have mentioned put your application in and be truthful, if you don’t try, then you will never get a cert. Someone has mentioned before that if you are refused your application fee is refunded, so you have noting to lose.

Edited by Newbie to this

2 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

Personally,  I think it's very unlikely you would be granted any certificates. The offences are not that long ago and are serious, especially the offensive weapon one. 

It depends on the context with that one, he says possession of a bladed article, that could mean a pen knife in his pocket without good reasons, or it could be a samurai sword strapped to his back with a crazed look in his eye.

Time is the key, and in my opinion , enough has passed, maturity and stability has been gained, but good reason is still paramount for FAC though, are you a full member of the club ?
If not, become one, and then you have reason.

My record is far worse than yours, and I did feel lucky to get my SGC and FAC , with a stern letter from the FLM to keep out of trouble, or they would be gone faster than a very fast thing !
When I applied my last conviction was 14 years old, and Id grown up somewhat.

Good luck , but I dont think you will need it.

I guess we have to forgive and forget....but 2 burglary cautions,dread to think how many others where you were not caught and carrying a knife...does not sound great.

You can apply,list your offences and see what your local force thinks and just hope your Chief Constable has'nt been burgled recently..

Thanks for the great advice guys, im guna apply next month and see what happens. If i get refused ill give it a few years and try again. Tbh it seems like people with real knowledge of gaining a certificate with convictions are quite confident. Im guna ring my local FEO and see what they say.

Just to clarify the bladed article was a non locking work knife, of less than 3 inches or i would of been convicted of possesion of an offensive weapon. And the 2 burglarys were me and my mates partying in a houses due for demolition (15 years ago, as a child).

Out of interest does anyone know how west yorkshire firearms licensing office compare to the rest of the country? I'm told theres a good degree of difference in how different forces interpret the legislation.

Thanks again guy you've all been a great help.

With the new information you have yet to apply - I'd say DON'T just yet. Ring the FLO and have a chat about your chances.

I say that because I beleive if you get refused its harder to get past that later. Then if it looks good make your application.

Edited by Dave-G

Yeah i plan to ring an have a chat with the firearms office about my chances. Tbh iv had a few people tell me that none of my cautions are relavent under the 'rehabilitation of offenders act' due to the length of time since my last offence. Who knows maybe all will be fine!

I don't want to sound pessimistic but I think you will struggle at this time.

You've got a history of offending,  repeat offending at that. Regardless of the circumstances,  you've got a record for burglary, drug offences and possession of a bladed article. 

When the police interview you, they will know it's unlikely every time you've broken the law you've been caught and prosecuted. They will assume you've done loads of other things and not been caught. Yes, they can't prove it but will still have that thought in their minds. Police are risk averse, esp Firearms licensing these days, and they don't care if you get to shoot targets or not. They just care about protecting the public and therefore themselves from unsuitable folk accessing guns.

That may be harsh but it's my opinion of being in the job for 14 years.

As others have said, phone and ask. Be honest and accept you screwed up and try to show that it's in your past. 

2 hours ago, pez91 said:

Yeah i plan to ring an have a chat with the firearms office about my chances. Tbh iv had a few people tell me that none of my cautions are relavent under the 'rehabilitation of offenders act' due to the length of time since my last offence. Who knows maybe all will be fine!

Certain occupations and licences are exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act (I.e taxi driver) and I assume firearms licensing will be one of them due to their nature. Speaking with your area FLO prior to app will do you great favours in showing that you are being open, honest, and responsible in considering it properly rather than just chucking in an application with little thought. 

Most of the offences as a child will be of less concern, but the propensity to offend is a matter that they may consider. 

I cant guarantee you’ll get it but the approach shows a level of responsibility that goes a long way.

Edited by Tford

3 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

I don't want to sound pessimistic but I think you will struggle at this time.

You've got a history of offending,  repeat offending at that. Regardless of the circumstances,  you've got a record for burglary, drug offences and possession of a bladed article. 

When the police interview you, they will know it's unlikely every time you've broken the law you've been caught and prosecuted. They will assume you've done loads of other things and not been caught. Yes, they can't prove it but will still have that thought in their minds. Police are risk averse, esp Firearms licensing these days, and they don't care if you get to shoot targets or not. They just care about protecting the public and therefore themselves from unsuitable folk accessing guns.

That may be harsh but it's my opinion of being in the job for 14 years.

As others have said, phone and ask. Be honest and accept you screwed up and try to show that it's in your past. 

Bang on I think. 

Lots of the people who got their licence with convictions are things like a drunken night out turning into a punch up, something that the vast majority of people can say they have either experienced or been involved in at some point in their lives. 

You can end up in a fight by accident with the right idiot on the other side. 

How many people have accidently ended up with TWO burgularly convictions, TWO drug convictions a few years later and then end up being convicted of carrying a bladed weapon? 

4 hours ago, pez91 said:

Rehabilitation of offenders means squat in this instance unfortunately. The police are more interested (rightly, I think) in making sure the wrong people don’t get access to firearms than your right to have past indiscretions forgotten.

As others have said, plenty of folk have been granted certificates with ‘previous’ but on the face of it yours is quite recent and quite serious charges. And call me a cynic (I am!) but as someone else pointed out, these are just the times you were caught... 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, I just feel the deck may be stacked against you right now, and being refused a certificate is almost another black mark in itself.