SGC/FAC with cautions

pez91

Yeah i get what your saying guys but im still young, if my chat with the FLO doesn't go well ill just wait 4 or 5 years. Suppose its the price you pay for youthful indiscretions.

The real irony of it all is that my crossbow makes more ft/lbs than an average 22lr and iv owned crossbows (albeit not as powerful as my predator) since i was 18. 

Thanks for the help guys, if all goes well expect gloating.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably in the minority here but I think you will be ok.

The circumstances of the cautions will be considered and if they are as you say then they really are minor indiscretions.

"Partying in houses that were due for demolition" - how many of us were didn't go somewhere we shouldn't when we were kids?

Building sites, acquiring a pocket full of Apple's from someone's orchard, picking up golf balls from the local course.....All I  my opinion similar to the OP's description.

Caught with a work knife in your pocket would depend on how and why you were caught. I've been out and found stuff in my pockets loads of times but never had reason to be stopped or searched and then cautioned for it. Maybe a little more to this one.

And rightly or wrongly, possession of cannabis is considered very minor these days, if the last time was 8? Years ago then maybe it will be considered as long enough ago not to affect an application

Without knowing all of the details it's impossible to make an accurate assessment but from what I have read here I would say that 50/50 is pessimistic and to be honest and speak to the feo.

Edd

Guest cookoff013
On 07/02/2019 at 06:11, sitsinhedges said:

Just apply and see. We've all got history.

just apply and see, we dont have crystal balls.

some of us dont have history.

17 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

When the police interview you, they will know it's unlikely every time you've broken the law you've been caught and prosecuted. They will assume you've done loads of other things and not been caught. Yes, they can't prove it but will still have that thought in their minds.

13 hours ago, hod said:

but as someone else pointed out, these are just the times you were caught... 

I never realised that guilt was just assumed in this country :whistling:

It should be really easy to control crime then, just arrest the people who have 'done it before' merely 'assume' their guilt , and lock them up, sorted....

Better still, let the police with their powers of intuition, be judge and jury on the street, and dish out insta-justice, judge Dredd style ?

18 hours ago, pez91 said:

Yeah i plan to ring an have a chat with the firearms office about my chances. Tbh iv had a few people tell me that none of my cautions are relavent under the 'rehabilitation of offenders act' due to the length of time since my last offence. Who knows maybe all will be fine!

Have a chat by all means, bot FEOs dont make final decisions, put all of your record down and make an application, you wont lose the money.
If theres going to be a problem, they will ask you to withdraw the application, and it wont technically be refused, then wait a couple of years.
Like Ive said, I dont believe you will have a problem.

7 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

never realised that guilt was just assumed in this country :whistling:

It should be really easy to control crime then, just arrest the people who have 'done it before' merely 'assume' their guilt , and lock them up, sorted....

Better still, let the police with their powers of intuition, be judge and jury on the street, and dish out insta-justice, judge Dredd style ?

Maybe I never made myself clear. 

The police look at the character of the person applying. If someone has a one off offence or a series of offences, but a long time ago that can maybe be an acceptable risk to the police.

But in this case, you have a series of repeat offending. And not particularly long ago. Burglary is a horrible crime as anyone who has experienced it knows. The licensing team are not going to look lightly upon that. And we only have the ops word on his versions of events. 

I was no angel growing up. And neither were any of my friends. But we never got charged with 4 separate offences.

And your comment about Judge Dress style justice? Would make sense. The coppers on the street know who the real scum are and if there was an instant justice permitted, there would be a lot less neds causing trouble for decent folk but that's never going to happen in this snow flake world

Anyway, to reiterate.  Good luck to the op. If he's not a idiot anymore. 

3 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

But in this case, you have a series of repeat offending. And not particularly long ago. Burglary is a horrible crime as anyone who has experienced it knows. The licensing team are not going to look lightly upon that. And we only have the ops word on his versions of events. 

The FEO when interviewing will have all relevant info on the offences, not just the conviction or crime code, so unless the OP s version of events match what they have, hes in trouble for lying, and will most definitely not be getting anything.
They usually ask about the causes of why the offence took place, why were you carrying the pen knife, why did you break into the (derelict) property ?

Being young, immature and stupid IS an excuse, being curious about drugs at a young age IS an excuse, trust me , Ive used them.
If they are not happy with the answers/excuses or feel the applicant is NOT remorseful and realises that behaviour is not acceptable, again, they will not be issuing tickets.

The discretion is down to each individual circumstance, and the risks weighed up proportionately ,I know people who have never been in trouble in their life, no medical or mental issues, and a stable home life , refused tickets.
The lad has not been in trouble for 8 years and has a partner and young family, if that isnt turning it around, Im not sure what is ?

3 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

And your comment about Judge Dress style justice? Would make sense. The coppers on the street know who the real scum are and if there was an instant justice permitted, there would be a lot less neds causing trouble for decent folk but that's never going to happen in this snow flake world

Are you sure? As much as I would like to see the whole police/justice system toughened up,  you need to actually put those coppers on the street, and make sure that THEY are not of the snowflake breed themselves.
Alas this is very wishful thinking.

2 hours ago, pez91 said:

And then he goes and ruins it 😂

Just now, stuartyboy said:

Yup. True colours showing.

Only took 2 pages and folk daring to question or disagree.

I retract my good luck to the op. 

I don't think he should be granted a certificate. 

Am out.

If staying quiet whilst being called a lier is a pre-requisite of gun ownership, then im afraid your right, thats not me...never will be. And if you'd being paying attention you'd notice that I've took all the advice on board both negative and positive. But like i said call me a lier and ill call u names. i suppose the FLO would never consider someone like me if they knew the dirty truth of me calling  someone names. 

I think you come across as particularly temperamental, if you flare up and call names on an open forum (your FEO could and may be reading this) when a member has just suggested you might have been economical with the truth, firstly you might NOT be suited to gun ownership and secondly stay away from any business where you have to negotiated contracts!!!

mike

6 hours ago, eddoakley said:

I'm probably in the minority here but I think you will be ok.

The circumstances of the cautions will be considered and if they are as you say then they really are minor indiscretions.

"Partying in houses that were due for demolition" - how many of us were didn't go somewhere we shouldn't when we were kids?

Building sites, acquiring a pocket full of Apple's from someone's orchard, picking up golf balls from the local course.....All I  my opinion similar to the OP's description.

Caught with a work knife in your pocket would depend on how and why you were caught. I've been out and found stuff in my pockets loads of times but never had reason to be stopped or searched and then cautioned for it. Maybe a little more to this one.

And rightly or wrongly, possession of cannabis is considered very minor these days, if the last time was 8? Years ago then maybe it will be considered as long enough ago not to affect an application

Without knowing all of the details it's impossible to make an accurate assessment but from what I have read here I would say that 50/50 is pessimistic and to be honest and speak to the feo.

Edd

I'm with you on this one Edd. :good:

1 minute ago, pez91 said:

I'd challenge you to pistols a dawn but how would someone with an attitude like mine get a set of flippin pistols!?!

A good reply, now take it on the chin, get you application and interview sorted, be honest and hopefully you can get your SGC.

Good luck

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A good reply, now take it on the chin, get you application and interview sorted, be honest and hopefully you can get your SGC.

Good luck

Fair play cheers mate, im phoning FLO today. Im not dangerous i just call people names sometimes. Guna give forums a wide birth from now on. This is why i didnt pursue a career in customer service.

Peace out guys

Just now, dougall said:

SO you 'party in a house' and accept a caution for burglary...er twice.......and rather than explain the discrepancy hurl abuse.

Your honour I rest my case.

We broke into a house due for demolition, we broke into the seperate garage first which resulted in 2 offences. And burglary is breaking into a property with the intent of commiting crimes including but not limited to theft. I was caught due my friend graffiting *my name* shagged *her name* on the living room wall to mark me losing my virginity. I accepted whatever got me out of the cop shop. Theres now a 14 bedroom respite home where the house once was as it was demolished a short time later. 

But for the record i had no reason to explain to you. Your not the FLO your someone that called me a liar and essentially in the same breath insinuated that im a hardened criminal. I make no excuses for my youthful indiscretions but that is what they are and that is all they are.

Out of interest why not ask for the particulars of the incident rather leave a derogatory comment regarding my honesty?

Edited by pez91

Just now, walshie said:

A non-locking blade under 3 inches long is perfectly legal, so to be cautioned for it, you'd have to be doing something dodgy with it. 

This is an other half-story.

Took it with me to watch sunday leauge match, got caught smoking weed. The rests history.

Another time where asking for clarification would be more appropriate than questioning my honesty.

Why would i be asking for opinions about a lie?

Edited by pez91

26 minutes ago, walshie said:

A non-locking blade under 3 inches long is perfectly legal, so to be cautioned for it, you'd have to be doing something dodgy with it. 

This is an other half-story.

Basic laws on knives

It’s illegal to:

• sell a knife to anyone under 18, unless it has a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
  • carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less
  • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
  • use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife)

I cant remember when the knife laws changed or whether it was relevant at the time of his offence (his blade was fixed) 

SORRY RE READ IT , WAS NON LOCKING.

Edited by Rewulf
Sorry got it wrong

Just now, Rewulf said:

Basic laws on knives

It’s illegal to:

• sell a knife to anyone under 18, unless it has a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less
  • carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less
  • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
  • use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife)

I cant remember when the knife laws changed or whether it was relevant at the time of his offence (his blade was fixed)

Your not allowed any knives at organised football games. A fixed knife or blade over 3 inches is an offensive weapons charge not a bladed article charge......the more you know the further you go buddy. Educate yourself.

So Pez we have someone with previous convictions whose judgement is to go to a game of Football,get stoned and carry a knife. A place where a search is more likely than another public place. If your brain was made of dynamite it would'nt part your hair if it went off. I am sorry but I truly hope you are not granted a sgc/fac it would be madness.

I am done with this topic.all best to you but please reconsider gun ownership.