Gun Sale/Snobbery ?

cheatedcheetah

Hi All

just thought id put this out there for any comments or observations. Having recently (july 2018) bought my first shotgun - was wondering if / when I came to sell it I would get less than other similar guns?

The model is a S/H Beretta Silver pigeon s , fixed choke 28" barrels BUT with the "xtra wood" stock. This is as I understand it Beretta's attempt at "fake wood" transfer??. Do you think it would command less than others with normal walnut stocks. 

Would it also be considered a lesser gun by those that can afford the real thing? not that im bothered but you know how people can look down on you.

Regards

TIN

Most folks that will buy a Beretta are well aware what ‘Extra Wood’ is or was and either like or don’t. I had a 391 with and was always scared of dinging it, but it looks nice.

as to your question, it is worth what it’s worth due to condition. Most SPs are known quantity and there are plenty out there so values are pretty solid. 

The fact that the gun has a fake finish stock would have governed the price you gave for it. So no bother.

It's not snobbery but that finish just did not catch on. It's obvious that a genuine "fancy " stock will usually fetch more but Beretta have in the past offered lovely bits of strong plain straight grained Walnut. Why they went daft I do not know.

Edited by DUNKS

Lincoln  FAIR do the same on some of their gun stocks

Laser etching of dyes into the wood and a polymere coating to protect it

But cannot do the checkering  Which is all ok unless it gets damaged

Can'nt say it effects second hand values much  All depends on the buyer and what their looking for

Edited by sabel25

This is a first for me as I've never heard of any model of SP with XtraWood. The only 686 with it that comes to mind would be the early models of the White Onyx and the WO stock would fit any other 686/7 except the sideplated ones. There were several versions of fake grain the first of which was on the WO, the grain was stained on in unnatural looking wavy lines.  Then there was the slightly better laser scorched type used on A400s and the early Prevail I. A rarer type was called (I think) XtraGrain which is a laminate wrap.

Is the forend also XtraWood?

Is the fake wood version worth less? 

If so surely you paid less for it compared to a ‘real’ wood version when you bought it? 

As said above it’ll be worth what other guns the same as it are worth. 

You cant really say it’s worth less than a SP with real wood, because it’s not the same setup. 

I wouldnt consider someone looking down on me if they said my ford wasn’t worth as much as their jag etc ... it’s a totally different thing. 

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Xtra wood and xtra grain are two different things. One is a veneer type wrap the other is artificially enhanced grain.

Not sure about Berattas they use the laser enhancement aswell as FAIR and both call it xtra so not sure what the veneer is called

My personel opinion i would'nt buy an artificial piece of stock as i work with wood as a trade and love working and looking at natural wood

Having said , professional veneering and marketry in furniture is a work of art which i have done in the past. But as a gunstock in the field I would  always be wary of marking it in bramble or barbed wire as it is merely impossible to rectify

With no disrepect to Beratta or Browning but like for like price a CG will have a far superior piece of wood  With none of your XTRA wood laser/ veneer stuff

Just been talking to a good old friend of mine tonight for a catch up and for the second time of asking he wants me to take my CG's over as a mate of his is very keen to handle one with the intention of buying one or two Both him and his wife have Brownings

Refering to OP If you have doubts. Just enjoy. Look after it and it will hold it's value

ATB

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys, its good to get other peoples views on these things.

Tbh I really love the gun and dont particularly mind that it has that stock on it.

To answer a few of the comments -1. I didnt research what Xtra wood was when/before  i bought it so thats my fault,

2. the fore end is walnut 

3. Im not planning on selling it anytime soon !!

4. it was my first shotgun purchase so I suppose next time I should buy a S/H Baikal and sod the expense - at least I will get a wood stock LOL.

Thanks again

Tin

• 3 years later...
On 18/02/2019 at 16:27, humperdingle said:

Nothing to do with snobbery, really... Xtra wood stocks (in my experience, at least) are not the best looking stocks. A real piece of hardwood will always be more durable and look better IMO.

But the stock can always be changed and Beretta woodwork is pretty plentiful

Any clues on where to get new stocks less than the 600 beretta want? I’ve got a 686 white onyx which someone seems to have varnished🤦‍♂️ Needs returb and don’t think it’s possible with the veneer