Trap semi for sporting + ported barrel ?

rayo

I've been looking for a semi  ( just fancy a bit of variation from o/u ) . I just shoot sporting  but I can also go decoying if I fancy . I have seen a nice condition Beretta a303 for £275 which I thought would do me but have since found out it's actually a trap gun . It also has a ported barrel 

my question being would it be suitable for sporting / decoying or would I be better just getting a armsan /hatsan for that price range?

Also thoughts on ported barrel , I believe they stop barrel rise and recoil 

any advice appreciated 

Edited by rayo

That would be a rare gun indeed, Beretta have famously refused to cater for the Trap semi auto shooter in this country, US shooters by contrast are apparently able to order different stocks for ESP and Trap disciplines. 

First thing to do is make sure that what you've been told is factually correct, it could just be for example that someone has sourced a Trap stock from somewhere and fitted it or the original has been professionally raised, the porting is also highly likely to be an after market job, either way you're in luck because not only is the higher comb likely to function just as well (if not better) as a sporter, even if it turns out to not suit you, you can easily sell it or alter it to suit. 

What barrel length is it incidentally ? At that price it would be rude not to buy it. 

It's a 28 inch  , I think I'll take a punt it's in good nick .its also fitted with a eazy fibre optic sight  which I may or may not leave on . The rib does not seem raised high compared to othe trap guns that I've looked on google images so Hamster your probably spot on 

The gun sounds like a Bitza to me, I have an old Beretta catalogue  that has the 303 Trap version specifications and barrel length is either  a 30"  or 32" fixed choke or m/choke and has a  two and three quarter inch chamber. 

The stock has a slight monte carlo comb and is fitted with a red ventilated pad.

The rib is flat not stepped.

Edited by BlaserF3
addition

23 minutes ago, BlaserF3 said:

The gun sounds like a Bitza to me, I have an old Beretta catalogue  that has the 303 Trap version specifications and barrel length is either  a 30"  or 32" fixed choke or m/choke and has a  two and three quarter inch chamber. 

The stock has a slight monte carlo comb and is fitted with a red ventilated pad.

The rib is flat not stepped.

If you ever find one of those over here it will be worth double what the std versions go for.