Soft 20

13 minutes ago, Westley said:

I do think that if it was my gun, which I often shoot 100 sporting with, I would look at having a 'soft' type recoil pad fitted. The Italian made pad that I fitted was under £20 and I fitted it myself, after removing the hard plastic heel plate which is on the Brownings.

Leaving it to UKGR and i'm pretty sure it'll be a Kick Eez.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, decoy1979 said:

How about Hull pro twenty 7.5 24g or Saga Olympic trap 7.5 24g. I had my son using these and he found them both fairly soft.

Yep, 3rd ones on the list.

Going to knock it on the head for now until I've tried the 3 mentioned.

Edited by wymberley

Hope you find a cartridge you are happy with but remember there is more to recoil than just velocity and pressure , a big contributor to felt recoil is GUN FIT if the gun has long enough stock and fits you well the lack of physical mass in the weapon might not be as relevant as it first seems.

9 minutes ago, B B said:

Hope you find a cartridge you are happy with but remember there is more to recoil than just velocity and pressure , a big contributor to felt recoil is GUN FIT if the gun has long enough stock and fits you well the lack of physical mass in the weapon might not be as relevant as it first seems.

You missed out one Theoreticle theory  Kenetic energy  ??:yahoo:

You'll know what i mean if you read recenct threads

You could fit a Isis green recoil pad, they are the market leader in reducing the hit.

Speak to George of proper carts he will make what you want. You could chose the speed you want, like 1200 FPS for a nice smooth cart.

A 24g Italian 7.5 clay cart will give you a English 7 or close enough.

4 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Could anyone kindly comment on how hard on the shoulder Fiocchi 20 bore  GFL 25 FW are? Turns out that on these JC isn't the bible as I've found some UK 7s - I think

Not heavy recoiling out of Baikal SxS 26 inch  . 5 3/4 lbs

7 hours ago, wymberley said:

Many thanks, so worth a try in 5lb 3oz OU. Didn't have any joy on the phone so have cracked off an email.

Dont think you will have any trouble, the 56Es are a nice  light little OU but   most side by sides are as light if not lighter so think that load or any typical 7/8 factory load will be fine in it.

The Baikals at 53/4 lbs is not typical Side by side 20s they are heavy built things the baikals.

29 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Recently fired some Eley Hi-Flyer in 28g 6's through my new 686 game gun (20 bore) and barely felt them at all.

Also got 2 boxes of Hull High Pheasant to give a go when they're gone. 

Don't see what's wrong with a 6 size shot? 

There is nothing wrong. It's just not the best choice for decoying pigeon. That is if you happen to agree with BASC regarding the average (I think the word they use is overall) number of strikes required to ensure a clean kill with every shot as far as it is reasonably possible to do so. BASC work on a 95% chance. Although I use a different means, I get the same answer, or would if it weren't for the fact that I settle for 90%. I am at odds though with their figure for the number of pellets in the proverbial 30" circle which would equate to their 95%.

As my new toy is relatively light, I'll err on the gentle side to start with and see how things go. Although all seems OK at the moment, it appears that the blasted arthritis seems to seek out your weak spots and one of which for me is my shooting shoulder.

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

There is nothing wrong. It's just not the best choice for decoying pigeon. That is if you happen to agree with BASC regarding the average (I think the word they use is overall) number of strikes required to ensure a clean kill with every shot as far as it is reasonably possible to do so. BASC work on a 95% chance. Although I use a different means, I get the same answer, or would if it weren't for the fact that I settle for 90%. I am at odds though with their figure for the number of pellets in the proverbial 30" circle which would equate to their 95%.

As my new toy is relatively light, I'll err on the gentle side to start with and see how things go. Although all seems OK at the moment, it appears that the blasted arthritis seems to seek out your weak spots and one of which for me is my shooting shoulder.

What do you like to use mate? 25g 7s ? 

CBD oil might help with the arthritis. Perfectly legal - it recently helped a lot with my brother in laws gout and said it’s the only thing that helped him get a night sleep. 

This is my initial foray into 20 bore so I'm still feeling my way. It's looking as though you have it on the nose. The only ones I knew of - excluding the possibly punchy RC - are the Lyalvale. Got a box this afternoon and after a recent disappointment with the shot in the 12 bore version of the Supreme Game, I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the shot in the 20. Being still as green as grass with the calibre and to an extent relying on JCs to define the choices available, I'd glossed over the Fiocchi. Mistake. Failed on the phone but my email did the trick - guy was out shooting - and I'll get a reply on Monday as to whether or not he has current stock of the GFL 25 FW in 7s (English). Doesn't matter if he hasn't just now as the gun is being worked on and I probably won't need it for a few months yet.

Arthritis is all good fun The hospital was screaming at me to stop one particular drug. Ever seen a mobile Belisha Beacon? Not a [pretty sight. Out of nowhere I looked like someone had got a spray gun and covered me from neck to ankles in  dayglo red which fortunately disappeared within 48 hours of stopping the particular drug.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

I wouldn’t put too much stock into what a calculation says of how many pellets you need to kill a bird. A 25g load of 6’s through 1/4 choke will crush a pheasant at 40 yards. Decoying pigeons at less than that you will have no problem with pattern density with 6’s. Don’t limit yourself unnecessarily. 

Rick

5 hours ago, casts_by_fly said:

I wouldn’t put too much stock into what a calculation says of how many pellets you need to kill a bird. A 25g load of 6’s through 1/4 choke will crush a pheasant at 40 yards. Decoying pigeons at less than that you will have no problem with pattern density with 6’s. Don’t limit yourself unnecessarily. 

Rick

The use of the word ‘crush’ is inappropriate. Pellets striking a bird cannot crush it as ‘crush’ implies pressure from two sides.

On 07/02/2019 at 21:50, casts_by_fly said:

I wouldn’t put too much stock into what a calculation says of how many pellets you need to kill a bird. A 25g load of 6’s through 1/4 choke will crush a pheasant at 40 yards.

Rick

Absolutely, and the smaller hen bird at that. What, though, do you think you'd need for a bird having half of the vulnerable area

4 hours ago, JDog said:

The use of the word ‘crush’ is inappropriate. Pellets striking a bird cannot crush it as ‘crush’ implies pressure from two sides.

If you want to take the term in its most literal sense sure. From the perspective of “absolutely hammered the bird with not a twitch before it hits the ground” that’s what I call crushing a bird in the air. 

Thanks,

rick

55 minutes ago, snow white said:

CBD oil is very good you can get it from Holland Barrett’s my wife and myself have arthritis and it helps a lot

Many thanks, also to other members who've mentioned it, I'll bear it in mind. At the moment I'm OK, on steroids still until I start the replacement drug for the one that bit me in about a week.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Absolutely, and the smaller hen bird at that. What, though, do you think you'd need for a bird having half of the vulnerable area

Exactly the same thing. The pigeons I shot this year with the same gun and load didn’t complain and they were beyond decoy range. 

Just buy a box and try them  

Rick

Edited by casts_by_fly

3 minutes ago, casts_by_fly said:

Exactly the same thing. The pigeons I shot this year with the same gun and load didn’t complain and they were beyond decoy range. 

Just buy a box and try them  

Rick

I will. As it happens, the Supremes which I got to check for recoil are 6s - they had no 7s and I figured there'd be no difference for what I wanted them for. It will be interesting to find out that the number of pellets available in the central killing area of a pattern to do the job is the same no matter what the size of the quarry is. It would appear then, after all this time, it is energy that kills and not pattern - those who understand will be aware that that old saying has always assumed that there is sufficient energy - after all.