Cheap scope and mounts combo

pro_carper

Assuming your rifle is sub 12ft/lb. don't go too mad with range and magnification ,3-9x50 or 4-12x50 is more then adequate for most uses.

If you consider that most responsible air rifle hunters reckon on 40-45yds is the sensible maximum distance for taking live quarry then a scope on x9 will bring the target into what seems 5 yds or so actually you wont normally use much more the x6-x7 .

As for makes as some of the other lads have said Nikko Stirling is as good as anything out there ,a couple of others at the sensible end of the price range would be Hawke ,Bushnell or MTC.

Good luck with it mate.

I have a nikko mount master 4-12x50 AO IR, bought it new and from day one the point of impact moves as you turn the magnification ring. Use it for pinking in the garden now. Replaced it with a hawke panorama, but even a hawke vantage I feel would be better than a mount master. 

2 hours ago, stu64 said:

I have a nikko mount master 4-12x50 AO IR, bought it new and from day one the point of impact moves as you turn the magnification ring. Use it for pinking in the garden now. Replaced it with a hawke panorama, but even a hawke vantage I feel would be better than a mount master. 

I would say you had a faulty one then. I have bought many of them over the years and have never had a problem with them.

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I would say you had a faulty one then. I have bought many of them over the years and have never had a problem with them.

Same. Been using one tonight on my brno (4-12x50)  and have one on my falcon fn19 (3-9x50ao ir). All though not as good imho a hawke of same price, i cant complain about the performance. Just chuck the mounts they come with 

Sorry to jump on the back of  this post but I have a 50 year old BSA meteor and am looking for some scopes to fit it. I have looked at some scopes on fleebay but some of the advertisers say they fit modern rifles but mine is not.

Just looking to shoot a few rats so no distance work, what would you recommend me to buy please.

Links to advertisers would be good.

Edited by harrycatcat1
Spelling

On 15/02/2019 at 20:49, harrycatcat1 said:

Sorry to jump on the back of  this post but I have a 50 year old BSA meteor and am looking for some scopes to fit it. I have looked at some scopes on fleebay but some of the advertisers say they fit modern rifles but mine is not.

Just looking to shoot a few rats so no distance work, what would you recommend me to buy please.

Links to advertisers would be good.

I have ordered some scopes, so if they fit I will let you know.

56 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Think i would have gone to my local gun shop and had a look what they had second hand.

What have you gone for?

To be honest for what they have cost me (less than a packet of fags) brand new and foc delivery from China I am not expecting a lot.

Hope the link works

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32950450913.html?pid=808_0000_0109&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32950450913&aff_trace_key=9e4932abc79147e8b5d45cada8fe2818-1550435620136-03540-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=8352amp-5rzdB1AbecLPha0m-wqlyQ1550435639018&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaTjBRAdEiwAOdx9xvGTVDmRprKBj3BvItrNulYY5t7hWpoQpvqBbPHde_ISLeCOE8ub1RoCMwsQAvD_BwE

Edited by harrycatcat1
To add a link

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/02/2019 at 15:53, stu64 said:

Being a second focal plane scope the point of impact would move with different magnification settings.

Thats why I have a first focal plane scope, on any mag setting the POI is the same.

36 minutes ago, ratchers said:

Being a second focal plane scope the point of impact would move with different magnification settings.

Thats why I have a first focal plane scope, on any mag setting the POI is the same.

Ive never owned a FFP scope, and Ive never had zero shift on altering magnification.

And Ive had a lot of scopes, from cheapo to middle range price.

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Ive never owned a FFP scope, and Ive never had zero shift on altering magnification.

And Ive had a lot of scopes, from cheapo to middle range price.

Its what I always thought so if your right, whats the difference between first and second focal plane?

12 minutes ago, ratchers said:

Its what I always thought so if your right, whats the difference between first and second focal plane?

Its all about the reticule, this explains it better than words.

image.jpeg.027e86ab56f87b1d9a07d6197317afa6.jpeg

FFP scopes the reticle gets bigger as you zoom, keeping your ret marks correct.
SFP they will only 'work' at a given mag.

If you know that (for the sake of argument) your zero is 100 yards, and one mildot will give you 150 yards POI , on the SFP scope , this will only work on the mag you set it up at, you zoom in, and this will alter the POI for that mildot.
Whereas a FFP scope will remain 'true at all mags (theoretically)

The issue can be a huge ret at higher mags obstructing view.

10 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The other issue of ffp .is that your dots all end up being in  random increments making it hard to remember or choose the correct dot .

I will have to check this out again , only because we did it with a discovery ffp scope the other day and everything was spot on at ranges from 30-80 yards , from 4-12 times mag 

10 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The other issue of ffp .is that your dots all end up being in  random increments making it hard to remember or choose the correct dot .

Thats not the way I understand it, Ive never had one so I could be wrong, but if you have say 2 inches of drop between 100 and 150 yards, the single mildot should be in the same place between the 5 x and 20 x view on a FFP scope ?
Whereas in the SFP scope , it would be completely wrong.
I tend to gauge the amount of drop on the target itself, or if I know the exact range Ill dial it.

Just now, villaman said:

I will have to check this out again , only because we did it with a discovery ffp scope the other day and everything was spot on at ranges from 30-80 yards , from 4-12 times mag 

This is how it should be  in my understanding.

10 minutes ago, ratchers said:

Maybe I  worded it wrong

On a ffp for a 30 yard zero, your poi is the same at 5 or 10 times magnification whereas

on a sfp for a 30 yard zero you poi is different on 5 and 10 times mag, yes?

😱 Your point of impact will be the same at 30 yards, if you have a 30 yard zero, whatever scope you use, whatever mag you use.

The point of impact obviously changes at different ranges, whatever scope you use and whatever mag you use.

Whats different is, if you use mildots or ladder marks, if you dont change the mag they will stay the same, but if you do the target becomes bigger obviously.
In the FFP scope the ret and marks/mildots get bigger too, and the POI should keep true.

On the SFP scope the reticle stays the same but the target is bigger, making your POI different.

Am I making sense ?