HW80 tuning advice

pez91

Iv had my HW80 for the best part of 10 years now and like to think its in good shape, but this model has been around a long time and im aware people have been tinkering with it just as long. I've done a little myself but would appreciate any input. In the last 6 months or so I've replaced the piston and breach seal, made a greased shim for the piston and installed a welsh willy drop in kit with delrin tophat, spring guide and power washers. I've also drilled the piston in strategic places to reduce weight, I've buffed and polished the piston the spring and the transfer port and also had the barrel honed.

I'll be honest she shoots like a dream, i never plan on buying another air rifle. Im aware that iv already gone to great lengths to improve this rifle but good can always get better so all knowledge of tuning tikering or fettling a HW80 will be greatly appreciated. 

I don't shoot springer myself but there are a few 22mm piston kits being used for HFT but as far as I can make out they're not fit and forget. 

Think I'd leave it as it is. 

4 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

You tickle the trigger up a bit if you haven't touched it yet

Edited by Mr.C

Yeah i thought i may of gone as far as i can but tinkering with my springer has become a way of life haha think im guna buy a silencer now though!. Might buy a cheap hatsan and see what i can do with that aswell. How do i get the ft lbs checked?? I know it was putting out 10.5 when i bought it. It shoots threw the side of an oil drum now so who knows.

take the stock and scope off it and seperate it into different rooms .Then get a chrono bought as fast as poss.and check it .

Hw80 s were designed to put out 20 fpe of energy.the hard part is keeping them under 12 fpe..most completely untouched 80s end up around 13 -14 fpe just by shooting them .

Combro is what you need .they are about 50 quid. 

Just now, Ultrastu said:

take the stock and scope off it and seperate it into different rooms .Then get a chrono bought as fast as poss.and check it .

Hw80 s were designed to put out 20 fpe of energy.the hard part is keeping them under 12 fpe..most completely untouched 80s end up around 13 -14 fpe just by shooting them .

Combro is what you need .they are about 50 quid. 

Im guna order a cheap one off of dhgate, 50 quids abit steep .

I didnt think springers were big hitters, tbh i might jst take a coil or 2 off the spring if it dosnt sounds vastly over powered??

My grandad taught me how to tune a springer as a kid, i never assumed it to be a problem haha but then again he had an fac.

Problem is often the smoother and nicer a gun is to shoot .the more powerful it can be .

Due to everything working in harmony and being the most effiecient

Noise and recoil ..will tell you nothing of the guns energy 

Shooting at paper or tin cans will reveal zero .and that gut feeling about its power is you just needing a poo. .

Buy a combro. £50 isnt a lot of money to keep you the right side of the law and out of hot water. 

Taking it to gun shop monday. Says if its vastly overpowered he'l sort it or buy it if i want. He said if its only slightly over with the first pellet he fires he'l leave it because springers go stiff when sat for a few days then lose about 10% power after bieng used 2 or 3 times. 

47 minutes ago, pez91 said:

Taking it to gun shop monday. Says if its vastly overpowered he'l sort it or buy it if i want. He said if its only slightly over with the first pellet he fires he'l leave it because springers go stiff when sat for a few days then lose about 10% power after bieng used 2 or 3 times. 

Who is this doyen of spring gun knowledge ? You owe it to us so we can avoid the place. 

32 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Problem is often the smoother and nicer a gun is to shoot .the more powerful it can be .

Due to everything working in harmony and being the most effiecient

Noise and recoil ..will tell you nothing of the guns energy 

Shooting at paper or tin cans will reveal zero .and that gut feeling about its power is you just needing a poo. 

Good points, well made. 

Just now, PPP said:

If the gun shop gives you the gun back having identified it’s over limit you’ll both be in the Pooh, deliberate possession of an unlicensed firearm (deliberate as you enhanced performance) could result in an accidental holiday

I know of someone that sawed the barrel and the stock down on a legal limit air rifle and all he got was if confiscated...needless to say its getting sorted anyway (i dont want it confiscating) and for all we know it could be pefectley fine already. The amount of legislation surrounding air rifles confuses me, iv got a barnett predator that will send a 400 grain bold at 430+ fps and its my springer thats the problem....what a country!!

Just now, PPP said:

Why, and what was he doing with it? No limit on barrel or stock length on sub 12 air rifle, sounds seriously dodge

Apparently it was for pest control in confined spaces, hed taken the barrel to less than 30" which ment it was a pistol and wasnt allowed to be over 6ft lbs. And yeah dodgy as ****.

Edited by pez91

Just now, PPP said:

No what I mean I’d, if it’s sub 12 then you can reduce it, it sounds dodgy that he had it confiscated, must have been up to something

As far as i found out taking the stock of and taking the barrel below 30" caused it to be classed as an air pistol, which are limited to 6ft lbs.

Just now, Ultrastu said:

An air rifle becomes too short when its less than 600 mm or 24 inches in old money .

Nothing to do with the barrel length  unless its an fac ..for which 300 mm is min length. 

Im sure thats the case regarding rifles which are 2 handed weapons, but the modifications he made caused the police to deem it a 1 handed break barrel air pistol. Which are limited to 6ftlbs, the rifle would not of been below that so i assume was classed as a section 5 prohibited weapon. It ultimatley lead to the guns confiscation with no further action.