Any pharmacist's on here?

Dave-G

I have COPD (emphysema) Thanks to all the cab passengers who used to cough their germs over my shoulder - and get lots of chest infections now because of all the antibiotics I've had to take over the years. I've about given up hope of doctors allowing sufficient strength or length of a course to clear it up these days. Within a day or two its coming back. As a consequence my immune system is about fubared and get repeated thrush both ends.

My last infection required a second different type/course so the thrush is worse than usual. I got issued NYSTAN - which didn't do the job very well so looked again on tinternet for options. Some professional sounding sites suggest Fluconazole can be bought over the counter and taken as a tablet.

I walked the dog to two Pharmacists yesterday but forgot what the tablets were called. Both said they didn't know of a tablet for thrush but if I can tell them the name they'll look it up. :ermm:

Is tinternet wrong or am I missing something?

If your immune system is, as you say, fubared, then your GP should be prescribing 14 day courses of antibiotics instead of 7 - most GP's don't seem to realise this. As for Thrush there are thing you can do to help the situation "downstairs" - bacteria needs moisture to survive so keep the chap dry - cotton underwear helps. There is another method I used when I used to suffer many years ago that involved making a collar from a single folded piece of loo paper - not sure you need me to go into details as you can work out the mechanics easily.

I dont know if this will help you or not, but my Bro swears by it. He has an Asian Pharmacist who is also into Homeopathy and he suggested that he eats a cereal spoon full of pomegranate every day. You can get them from Tesco's (other supermarkets are available) already levered out of their outer shells. He says its better in the fruit form rather than being taken as a fruit drink. 

I am not looking for any flack from this post, just trying to help. 

Keep well, its the only thing that ****s "Big Pharma" off, keeping money out of their tills.

Thank you gents, I felt a bit of a wuss posting about it here but I'm glad I did now. I'll be having a word with both pharmacists about their lack of assistance,  the best they would offer was Dactarin or Clotrimazole cream.

I have a 6 monthly hospital consultant appointment coming up soon and will see if he can instruct GP to issue longer period medications.

1 hour ago, Flyboy1950 said:

I am not looking for any flack from this post, just trying to help. 

:good:

My sister was told in her 20s she needed medication for the rest of her life for a heart problem, this medication made her ill.

Her husband , who is from Singapore, took her to a Chinese herbalist, who used methods that would probably be classed as 'quack' to ascertain she had a magnesium deficiency, she takes a high dose of Mg every couple of days.
Shes 65 now and in perfect health, despite her 30 cigs a day habit, and has NEVER been to a normal GP since.

Its not for everyone, but homeopathic/herbal  medicine should not be sneered at, and is sometimes promoted by mainstream doctors, especially in the East.

18 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Its not for everyone, but homeopathic/herbal  medicine should not be sneered at, and is sometimes promoted by mainstream doctors, especially in the East.

20 odd years ago,  a uncle of mine was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer and given 6 months to live by his oncologist  (the day he retired). He went to a Chinese medical centre that had just opened up in Bath. The Chinese Dr spent 2 hours with him mapping his eyes? At the end of this period he communicated through an interpreter that from what he could see in his eyes, he couldn't cure him, but he could boost his immune system so he could better cope with the chemo and radio therapy. He was given a bag of stuff including yew tree clippings and chrysanthemum leaves and petals and goodness knows what else? This was boiled and reduced down and he had to take some every day. 

After 6 months my uncle asked at the radiology centre, where were all the old guys I used to chat with whilst awaiting my treatment? He was told they have all passed away and we just don`t know how it is you are still here.  He never told them of his alternative treatment. I guess we will never know if it was the homeopathic treatment or just good luck, but I don`t dismiss this stuff out of hand any more.

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

Thank you gents, I felt a bit of a wuss posting about it here but I'm glad I did now. I'll be having a word with both pharmacists about their lack of assistance,  the best they would offer was Dactarin or Clotrimazole cream.

I have a 6 monthly hospital consultant appointment coming up soon and will see if he can instruct GP to issue longer period medications.

Dactarin is an anti-fungal. It won't clear up thrush, which is a candida (yeast) infection - clotrimazole is the active ingredient in Canestan, so that's what you need. It's very effective and had few, if any, side effects..........just make sure you don't get the pessary !

Not being medical at all, it may be worth investigating Phages?

The communist block I believe has used this route for years as thy weren't able to go down the antibiotic route due to development costs being prohibitive?

Apparently each type of Phage is target specific unlike antibiotics so resistance to their action is not possible as in antibiotics?

Worth investigation?

On 08/02/2019 at 04:33, clakk said:

They advertise something called Canestan combi for this on the tv ,Dave .Its a cream for the rash and a pill for the infection wortha google ?

I,m no pharmacist but if they claim such it must be worth a look

Edited by dodgy dave
wrong place

My missus asked me one day if my todger was OK.

"What do you mean, OK?"

Well you know, have you any problems with it?

I sometimes think it's a bit too big (joking!) but other than that its fine as far as I know. Why do you ask?

Well I have been told that I have a bit of thrush and was just wondering if you were OK.

Yes fine. I didn't know you had been to the doctors.

"No" she said, "it was the dentist"

True story. I have no idea why she tells me these things 🤣 🤣