Squirrel Job!!

Mice!

27 minutes ago, old'un said:

Apart from the job of shooting and trapping grey squirrels, do you meet all their other requirements?

I was a Mink trapper for 7 years DEFRA and later SNH.. Degree and dip countryside management worked in forestry, agriculture and on several conservation projects, if i was single and without commitments i would be applying.:yes:

50 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Not highly paid with all those qualifications I feel.  

I doubt you need all the thing's they're asking for, could be a nice number for someone semi retired or a youngster starting out wanting experience after college 

It is odd, this job is only seasonal, March to August, which might suggest trapping only?

Our local Ranger is employed all the year round and nearly always shoots  (particularly August to March!)- thermal and feeders. He does however have to trap when working on F.C. land.

It isn’t highly paid, but you are left to get on with the job as you think fit. He often starts early morning on NT land in the summer and is therefore able to finish early afternoon. The computer work is limited to recording the numbers controlled and seen together with days spent in each area.

I have spent quite a few enjoyable and informative  days with our ranger and picked up a lot of useful tips on controlling the last difficult/clever grey  in a wood. He certainly gets out to some great areas but I am not sure I want to control greys 5 days a week!

A great job for the right person.

I try to control greys five days a week if I can. Agree it is an interesting job apart from sorting the tree rats there is so much more to see and enjoy when your doing it. I had seven or eight yellow hammers under one of my feeders this week, I have not seen that bird since my childhood.  Hope my efforts on the magpies in particular are helping . 

If I had seen this opportunity 28yrs ago when I retired, I would be looking to have a crack.  Hope they find the right person.

Hi Nev, I think my comment came out a bit  wrong! 

Like you, I control them at least 5 days a week and often 7 days a week, but as a volunteer It’s only a few hours a day. I should have said, I don’t fancy controlling greys full time, 5 days a week. It would drive you mad- you would be eating, sleeping and dreaming greys!

Keep whacking and stacking....

Edited by Sciurus
Correction

• 3 weeks later...