Jack Pyke roe sack

Big Mat

bought a roe sack about ten years ago and used it once. to me they are just not very practical. where i stalk i have to drag for quite  a distance so melb s deer drag has been the only thing i ever carry other than knife now. had 5 last weekend and the drag was certainly best option for extraction to the truck.

8 hours ago, bumpy22 said:

bought a roe sack about ten years ago and used it once. to me they are just not very practical. where i stalk i have to drag for quite  a distance so melb s deer drag has been the only thing i ever carry other than knife now. had 5 last weekend and the drag was certainly best option for extraction to the truck.

Thats nice for you, but it my situation, a roe sack will suit nicely

3 hours ago, Big Mat said:

Thats nice for you, but it my situation, a roe sack will suit nicely

This is the one i have 

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/harkila-fenja-roe-sack-rucksack-lake-green-75-l-bag-191395.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkfriBRD1ARIsAASKsQL7KwO7Ji_js5CCyLZERbNmiHqX5x9fJhdsd329WbvJLiM2XZNzBk4aAgWBEALw_wcB

Find it fine when stalking and it on my back. But more, ££ than the jack pike, probably just down to having harkila Written on it. All folds in on itself which makes transporting on long journeys good, then unfold out to the sack again 

15 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

This is the one i have 

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/harkila-fenja-roe-sack-rucksack-lake-green-75-l-bag-191395.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAkfriBRD1ARIsAASKsQL7KwO7Ji_js5CCyLZERbNmiHqX5x9fJhdsd329WbvJLiM2XZNzBk4aAgWBEALw_wcB

Find it fine when stalking and it on my back. But more, ££ than the jack pike, probably just down to having harkila Written on it. All folds in on itself which makes transporting on long journeys good, then unfold out to the sack again 

That looks like quality kit far better to buy once. Do you have to carry the deer in the bag? I don't like the idea of ticks and blood near me and they are very heavy for any distance. 

I am using a rope that I make a shoulder drag out of it's simple, quick and comfortable but I would like to develop a canvas skid to put under the animal to reduce contamination risk. It also doubles as a hoist and I can manage two if it's not uphill. 

Mine is just a cheapo.   Looks like a diamond shaped tarpaulin folded in half.   Laces together and has shoulder straps on one side.   Just rolls up and goes into your pocket or day sack.   If I have far to travel and have been luck then I just strap the beast in and drag it anyway.   Bag slides more easily than the carcass.   If it tears up, and it will with use, then only £40 to replace.

Works very well.

5 minutes ago, Grandalf said:

Mine is just a cheapo.   Looks like a diamond shaped tarpaulin folded in half.   Laces together and has shoulder straps on one side.   Just rolls up and goes into your pocket or day sack.   If I have far to travel and have been luck then I just strap the beast in and drag it anyway.   Bag slides more easily than the carcass.   If it tears up, and it will with use, then only £40 to replace.

Works very well.

Yeah after dressing in field remove legs and head, that bag will take two easily, below is this afternoons stalk, went out and was back in time for the rugby. 

DSC-2205.jpg
20190210-154940.jpg

Edited by ShootingEgg

Blimey still a lot of snow your way. I just don't want to have to carry the things.. Too heavy for me and it's another thing to clean. Now I find myself doing everything to get the kit to a bare minimum but I am going to look at getting something like Grandalf mentions above as it should slide easier and reduce risk.

4 hours ago, oowee said:

That looks like quality kit far better to buy once. Do you have to carry the deer in the bag? I don't like the idea of ticks and blood near me and they are very heavy for any distance. 

I am using a rope that I make a shoulder drag out of it's simple, quick and comfortable but I would like to develop a canvas skid to put under the animal to reduce contamination risk. It also doubles as a hoist and I can manage two if it's not uphill. 

I'd have thought that ticks and blood would be just as close as when you gralloch. 

I don't usually have all that far to carry, butif the weather is sopping wet, then I do! 

On 10/02/2019 at 18:44, Big Mat said:

I'd have thought that ticks and blood would be just as close as when you gralloch. 

I don't usually have all that far to carry, butif the weather is sopping wet, then I do! 

Probably closer as your physically touching the animal. That bag ties and then the top flap clips into place so its quite secure