Sign in to follow this  
ljaddy12

Shotgun foregrip

Ive stripped the finish of a sxs shotgun stock done in trade secret looks lovely however the forgrip is giving me grief had to re strip again its had 2 week on and off in acetone plus heat and satified down to bare wood no oil left leeching however as soon as the wood is wet whether water oil acetone anything horrible black stains appear in the checkering dri it of completely gone looks fine wet again comes back i bought some liberon wood bleech to see if cure not touched it had it back in acetone its clear ive orded some baking soda to make a mix apart from that im stumped

Has anyone else come across this before and cured its driving me nuts cheers guys

Have you tried scrubbing the chekering with a soft brass wire brush as it sounds like oil and grease from hands in it 

Sounds like there is gunk in the chequering scrub it out with a stiff brush or brass brush if you must tgen clean it again with acetone. 

Put it back in acetone for a while brass brush on way see if any change have you ever come across it before?

Edited by ljaddy12

Try an old remedy, a hot bread poultice, it works, draws oil out of timber.

powdered chalk and water into a paste, slather it on thick and ontop of the aga or in the oven at 30 or in the airing cupboard or something. It what i use on any seriously oil soaked heads of stocks. Takes days, scrub it off with a soft brass brush, and repeat, id be amazed if you needed to do it twice.

Edited by demonwolf444