Argos - peculiar text message

Bobba

For info:

Received a text message, allegedly from Argos. Mrs B and I have no recollection of ever dealing with Argos let alone having given them my mobile No. I have binned it but thought I would post a heads up in case it's a scam.

The message reads "We are in the process of increasing your limit by £300.00 but would like you to confirm you agree with this decision" there followed a web address link including the words "mobile,argos,vi ew - our info"

33 minutes ago, Bobba said:

For info:

Received a text message, allegedly from Argos. Mrs B and I have no recollection of ever dealing with Argos let alone having given them my mobile No. I have binned it but thought I would post a heads up in case it's a scam.

The message reads "We are in the process of increasing your limit by £300.00 but would like you to confirm you agree with this decision" there followed a web address link including the words "mobile,argos,vi ew - our info"

If you opened the link, i'd run antivirus software.

Another thing which is strange, a few lads at work were talking about getting strange calls and letters about cancelling gas or sky TV, and random stuff delivered that they haven't ordered. Seems folk have got there addresses and then started setting up accounts taking out things so they can claim cash back, and one lad said his mum had some random PJs turn up then a bill for a fancy new TV, seems folk set up false accounts then change the address.

seriously shifty folk out there.

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Another thing which is strange, a few lads at work were talking about getting strange calls and letters about cancelling gas or sky TV, and random stuff delivered that they haven't ordered. Seems folk have got there addresses and then started setting up accounts taking out things so they can claim cash back, and one lad said his mum had some random PJs turn up then a bill for a fancy new TV, seems folk set up false accounts then change the address.

seriously shifty folk out there.

One of the many good reasons not to rent out rooms in your house on Airbnb. The scammers use the address to open accounts during their stay

Total paranoia in our house ,all internet screened ,Malware malbytes scanned and all history deleted after use .Dont go near facebook ,or any of those carp media formats,when finished on here will clean and deleate all and do the same on the phone.

Pinterest has tried to install 3 times from pictures folks send,and every day google want my location on but i wont let them.

Grumpy old man yes ,good reason to be cautious i think so 

20 hours ago, clakk said:

Total paranoia in our house ,all internet screened ,Malware malbytes scanned and all history deleted after use .Dont go near facebook ,or any of those carp media formats,when finished on here will clean and deleate all and do the same on the phone.

Pinterest has tried to install 3 times from pictures folks send,and every day google want my location on but i wont let them.

Grumpy old man yes ,good reason to be cautious i think so 

Sounds like a vpn would be a good idea.

If you don't already use one.

• 9 months later...
On 09/02/2019 at 17:58, Bobba said:

For info:

i received a text message, allegedly from Argos this morning saying I had won £500 from Argos and asking me to confirm email addy and sign in details.

It is a scam DO NOT RESPOND TO IT.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:29, sam triple said:

The way she gets thru them could be a god send 

I’m not up on it all but it’s a bit worrying how easy this information can be obtained 

her pans arrived on time on the day specified when ordered ,so the moral to this is don't ever respond to anything until arranged delivery date has been and gone then go direct to the seller you dealt with in the first place