Help Required

Will 1994

Hi Guys 

Abit of weird one but an old friend of mine recently passed away and he had a few shotguns. His son has been clearing out the house and found his cabinet keys and has opened the cabinet and come across the shotguns.

His son ( Not a ticket holder ) has contacted me and asked if I would like them but I am unsure as to how I go about putting them on my ticket ? 

Thanks guys will

6 minutes ago, Will 1994 said:

Hi Guys 

Abit of weird one but an old friend of mine recently passed away and he had a few shotguns. His son has been clearing out the house and found his cabinet keys and has opened the cabinet and come across the shotguns.

His son ( Not a ticket holder ) has contacted me and asked if I would like them but I am unsure as to how I go about putting them on my ticket ? 

Thanks guys will

hello, i would think a call to your FEO would be the first thing to do, 

Contact the Licensing Office by phone and by e mail and retain a copy.  Does his son have probate?  If he does then he can dispose of the guns which means he can transfer them to you.

He will fill in the details on the Certificate.   Otherwise take them to a RFD for storage until he does have probate.

We don't know what they are worth, could be nothing or a lot, so probate is essential.

Edited by Walker570

There is a temporary licencing arrangement for this type of situation. 

Bill Harriman Basc:-

“In the meantime, the advice is for the deceased’s personal representative to apply for a Section 7 temporary permit. No licensing department will refuse in such circumstances.”

What is a Section 7 temporary permit?

This temporary permit authorises your personal representatives to be in lawful possession of your guns until they decide what to do. You can get a Section 7 free of charge – we suggest you ask for one for a period of three months.

There is a comprehensive information sheet from the British Association of Shooting & Conservation (BASC) which covers the topic of bereavement and unlicensed firearms in detail which you will find very helpful in answering your questions.

1 hour ago, Will 1994 said:

What does probate mean walker ?

william 

If someone dies the next of kin or possibly a solicitor has to apply for probate which gives that person the right to handle the affairs of the deceased. The cost of getting this has just been altered but used to be £250.  If a wife or husband dies then the joint owner wife or husband automatically get the right as long as bank accounts and property are in joint names. That basically is a simplified explanation.  I am sure punching it into the computer will give a better and fuller answer.  I would have not thought a son would have automatic probate, ask him.

oowee above has given the most sensible answer.

Edited by Walker570

17 hours ago, SO3isme said:

Definitely take them, as the unlicensed person should not have access to them. Add them to your ticket in the normal way. If you can find the owners licence all the better.

Alternatively, take them to a dealer for storage short term.

How is he going to do that as the SGC holder is deceased?

17 hours ago, oowee said:

There is a temporary licencing arrangement for this type of situation. 

Bill Harriman Basc:-

“In the meantime, the advice is for the deceased’s personal representative to apply for a Section 7 temporary permit. No licensing department will refuse in such circumstances.”

What is a Section 7 temporary permit?

This temporary permit authorises your personal representatives to be in lawful possession of your guns until they decide what to do. You can get a Section 7 free of charge – we suggest you ask for one for a period of three months.

There is a comprehensive information sheet from the British Association of Shooting & Conservation (BASC) which covers the topic of bereavement and unlicensed firearms in detail which you will find very helpful in answering your questions.

:good:

That's the general route, but an Executor can sign over the guns to a SGC holder and advise the Region without a S7.

18 hours ago, Will 1994 said:

What does probate mean walker ?

william 

Basically it means everything is part of the estate and until it’s been valued and the taxes paid you can’t dispose of it 

short version 

ask your flo for a temporary certificate and speak to his solicitor the guns may have been bequeathed to a specific person 

As been well explained Sec 7

I have just been asked the same question today and i explained this to a couple i have just met for the first time. To which repied that  they had'nt heard of it

they also went  on to  explain to me that the husband had put a gun in his wifes name so if anything happens to him That it's her gun and the family cannot make a claim

I went on to explain that as the guns were all held in the same cabinet That all guns should be put on both their tickets as they both have access to the same cabinet

They replied that their FED did'nt say anything about this situation

I had the same thing applied to me as i held my fathers guns a few years back and all renewals had been passed then two police landed at my door one night to explain that all my guns had to be on my fathers ticket and his on mine As he had access to his and my guns Which made sense in a way but my father was passed shooting and was only running his ticket out

But having said. It made sense when he passed away and there was no problems with myself holding his guns

Edited by sabel25

7 hours ago, sabel25 said:

As been well explained Sec 7

I have just been asked the same question today and i explained this to a couple i have just met for the first time. To which repied that  they had'nt heard of it

they also went  on to  explain to me that the husband had put a gun in his wifes name so if anything happens to him That it's her gun and the family cannot make a claim

I went on to explain that as the guns were all held in the same cabinet That all guns should be put on both their tickets as they both have access to the same cabinet

They replied that their FED did'nt say anything about this situation

I had the same thing applied to me as i held my fathers guns a few years back and all renewals had been passed then two police landed at my door one night to explain that all my guns had to be on my fathers ticket and his on mine As he had access to his and my guns Which made sense in a way but my father was passed shooting and was only running his ticket out

But having said. It made sense when he passed away and there was no problems with myself holding his guns

Wait, so anyone having access to your cabinet has to have all your guns on their licence? I thought that was covered under the 72 hour loan rule.

7 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Wait, so anyone having access to your cabinet has to have all your guns on their licence? I thought that was covered under the 72 hour loan rule.

Yes, if the person loaning for 72 hours doesn’t have any shotguns on their ticket or doesn’t have your shotguns on their ticket then they shouldn’t have access to the cabinet otherwise they’re in constant possession which negates the loan rule.