indefinite leave to remain

oowee

It appears there is a super cool restricted trial system in place to process applications. You have to turn on the near field communications (nfc) facility on your phone. Then with a downloaded app you scan face and passport to confirm biometric data. Then the clever bit close passport rest phone on top and it reads the content of passport chip (using nfc) and compares it with the bio data just submitted to make sure everything is as it should be.  Takes just a few minutes and just like a scene from James Bond. 

Setting aside all the usual reservations about state control, how much more could we do if we had a biometric id card? This stuff is super cool and we could use it for all id including FAC in one place with seamless instant renewal.  :ninja:

4 hours ago, walshie said:

How will they know if the person is scanning their own face or the face of the person they nicked the passport off?

They would have to be dead next to the passport I think.

Guess its possible to get around it but it's not going to help them much getting an approval for someone else 🙂

5 hours ago, oowee said:

It appears there is a super cool restricted trial system in place to process applications. You have to turn on the near field communications (nfc) facility on your phone. Then with a downloaded app you scan face and passport to confirm biometric data. Then the clever bit close passport rest phone on top and it reads the content of passport chip (using nfc) and compares it with the bio data just submitted to make sure everything is as it should be.  Takes just a few minutes and just like a scene from James Bond. 

Setting aside all the usual reservations about state control, how much more could we do if we had a biometric id card? This stuff is super cool and we could use it for all id including FAC in one place with seamless instant renewal.  

"Instant renewal" whilst still  taking a pile of money from you, even though they do virtually nothing? and how long before some smart alec in Nigeria, or Russia, cracks this?

22 hours ago, oowee said:

Setting aside all the usual reservations about state control, how much more could we do if we had a biometric id card? This stuff is super cool and we could use it for all id including FAC in one place with seamless instant renewal.  

That sounds very similar to the driving test scams that were rife in Birmingham years ago. Friends and family taking the test.

4 minutes ago, old man said:

That sounds very similar to the driving test scams that were rife in Birmingham years ago. Friends and family taking the test.

Its a trial for the post Brexit roll out to deal with the 3m+ applications. It's linked directly to an individual it cannot be passed on to anyone else unless they have the same retina's. There is no incentive or reason to do it for anyone else as they can do there own. You have to exist, have a passport and have an existing biometric profile to use it. 

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

Its a trial for the post Brexit roll out to deal with the 3m+ applications. It's linked directly to an individual it cannot be passed on to anyone else unless they have the same retina's. There is no incentive or reason to do it for anyone else as they can do there own. You have to exist, have a passport and have an existing biometric profile to use it. 

So you are using your phone camera to scan your retina ?
Have many of the EU migrants have  had their retinas scanned already ?
I didnt realise it was that common.

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

So you are using your phone camera to scan your retina ?
Have many of the EU migrants have  had their retinas scanned already ?
I didnt realise it was that common.

Yep scanner and near field communications in the mobile, very clever stuff. If a person has an EU passport then they probably have already done a retina  scan. It's those without a passport that may have come on an ID card that will need to do a manual application. There are a few glitches to iron out in the system yet. Twice it's said that something is not quite right and then decided all is good. 

I get the NFC bit with your passports RIFD chip, but not the retina scan, who on here has ever had a retina scan? 

I haven't, and I wasn't aware that EU travellers to the UK had one either, much less the ones who entered on a ID card. 

I've just tried to take a decent picture of my eye using various cameras on my 4 camera phone, and failed miserably, so no wonder there's teething problems. 

As someone who spent a bit of time doing medical photography professionally the kit to do proper retinal scans is pretty sophisticated. The lens required and the illumination system are unlikely to be found on the average phone. If you put something the size of a phone close to and in front of the eye it is going to be dark in there.

David.

Why stop at only one? 

Why indeed? Why stop at half a dozen? All these proposed scans deal with people who may well be up front. It totally ignores the many millions that are already here and more to come.

When the Morris Marina had a facelift (renamed the Morris Ital - with a reshaped bumper) the motoring press described it as akin to combing the hair on a corpse. This is in that league.

1 hour ago, Kalahari said:

As someone who spent a bit of time doing medical photography professionally the kit to do proper retinal scans is pretty sophisticated. The lens required and the illumination system are unlikely to be found on the average phone. If you put something the size of a phone close to and in front of the eye it is going to be dark in there.

David.

Just checked and its iris not retina. The chip has the data and the scan checks the data against the chip. 

55 minutes ago, old man said:

UK passport in Greece market £50.00?

A copy will not work as the chip is fixed and will not compare to the scan. 

15 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

You even have to do an electronic fingerprint to get in and out of Disney!

The technology is there, it could be used so easily, and so effectively . All I can suggest is that somebody is afraid of what they would find.

Not sure why you would want this technology. 

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I get the NFC bit with your passports RIFD chip, but not the retina scan, who on here has ever had a retina scan? 

I haven't, and I wasn't aware that EU travellers to the UK had one either, much less the ones who entered on a ID card. 

I've just tried to take a decent picture of my eye using various cameras on my 4 camera phone, and failed miserably, so no wonder there's teething problems. 

Its iris rather than retina. It's been on UK passports since 2006 and updated 2010. Either way its worked and now my wife has ILR passport is next on the list. 🙂 End of my retirement is nigh if she gives up work in 4 yrs 😞 

19 hours ago, walshie said:

Is there an app that makes it harder for people to get here and stay here? 

To quote John Wayne (and Buddy Holly)  "That'll Be The Day!"

3 hours ago, old man said:

Still happening.................

24 minutes ago, oowee said:

ts iris rather than retina. It's been on UK passports since 2006 and updated 2010.

? So when did I have my iris scanned ? More importantly, when did our potential ILR candidates have it done ?

25 minutes ago, oowee said:

End of my retirement is nigh if she gives up work in 4 yrs 😞

I thought the UK is going to be a wasteland by then anyway, due to Brexit , so I wouldnt worry :whistling:

29 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

? So when did I have my iris scanned ? More importantly, when did our potential ILR candidates have it done ?

At any point in the proceeding 5 to 10 years as part of other visas.

ILR is one of the last steps to citizenship - not the first. (Go through Fiancée visa and two spousal visas before ILR if you are married to someone - its not automatic and hasn't been for years)  

For those suggesting ILR is a doddle I strongly suggest you have a look at what is entailed, it has changed significantly in the last 10 years.  

PS the system above must be very new - wasn't available when my wife applied in January. its a great idea though, it beats having to trek to a main Post Office to have it done and paying £25 for the pleasure.  

Edited by Lord v