First doe of 2019

ShootingEgg

Had a call from a chap who grows veg on a large scale, saying that the deer numbers have risen and now need controlling, they are only able to deer fence about 60% of the field where they are getting issues so although it keeps them at bay its Not out properly. I dropped in yesterday to see where they were and saw 7 laid up in the next field. Made my way out early doors this morning but they didnt show, home breakfast dog walk and relax, then decided to head out just after lunch knowing that it was 2pm when I saw them yesterday, got there just after 1pm and set myself up hidden in a hedge. At 13:52 they started to wander out of the wood into the field. One presented a shot at 57yrds so it was taken. 

A happy veg grower seeing as I was called yesterday to say they had a problem. 

DSC-2205.jpg

Edited by ShootingEgg

Well done for getting on the job so quickly and taking your first deer on this farm.

Can I ask, although I have been deer stalking with someone I have not done any deer stalking on my own or own a suitable caliber rifle, will the other deer now be more weary of that field and change their feeding place and time?

27 minutes ago, old'un said:

Well done for getting on the job so quickly and taking your first deer on this farm.

Can I ask, although I have been deer stalking with someone I have not done any deer stalking on my own or own a suitable caliber rifle, will the other deer now be more weary of that field and change their feeding place and time?

Where I have shot previously ive not seen them move off to far unless you go in and shoot it alot. And as the others did not see where the shot came from they will probably be okay. I will only get to the farm at weekends so that gives them a week to settle. I had seen the group yesterday but the just wandered off when I walked round near them (60yrds ish). 

I think fallow will move if shot over alot. 

Im sure others with more experience will be able to answer this better than I can. 

47 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Where I have shot previously ive not seen them move off to far unless you go in and shoot it alot. And as the others did not see where the shot came from they will probably be okay. I will only get to the farm at weekends so that gives them a week to settle. I had seen the group yesterday but the just wandered off when I walked round near them (60yrds ish). 

I think fallow will move if shot over alot. 

Im sure others with more experience will be able to answer this better than I can. 

Fallow never stop moving around and cover big areas

On 10/02/2019 at 19:09, ShootingEgg said:

As I said, others with more knowledge will know better, and that right there proves it. We have Roe all over are area and a splash of muntjac if you get lucky enough to see them.. So fallow is on my list of bed time reading 

Fallow are hard work unless you’ve got loads of connected ground to go at which I haven’t. Round me they’ll be in one area for a day or two because they’re on my cameras and then they’ll be gone for weeks. They get hammered round me so they’re quite nocturnal and you’re really just relying on them making a mistake. They can also see round corners, smell noises and hear smells. If you’re lucky enough to have some slightly less wild than mine I’m very jealous!!!

2 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

Fallow are hard work unless you’ve got loads of connected ground to go at which I haven’t. Round me they’ll be in one area for a day or two because they’re on my cameras and then they’ll be gone for weeks. They get hammered round me so they’re quite nocturnal and you’re really just relying on them making a mistake. They can also see round corners, smell noises and hear smells. If you’re lucky enough to have some slightly less wild than mine I’m very jealous!!!

The area i am in is very heavily populated with Roe, have land i shoot with a mate on Exmoor which is Fallow and yes they are not stupid and do move around, but are not hammered so stick to the area's making it a little easier. 

Fallow are hard work at times, to many eyes watching and their so very transient. One day I can see a group, next day their across the valley on the slopes 10 miles away. I'm just lucky I shoot a very large area. 

Roe, about as easy as it gets. Bump them off, find somewhere comfortable to sit and they will do a loop and come back. Shoot to many out and they, like all deer, will go find somewhere with less pressure.

As there is a shoot on one of the grounds I know where they like to be, around the feed bins so makes it a little easier. I shoot evenings only until I stop seeing them and then switch to mornings only. This way I find they are less likely to go totally nocturnal. I never shoot them off the feed bins either.