No cob maize

Hi ,I know the Game season has only just finished ,but Iam looking ahead for working out our game cover for next season .Has anyone tried the no cob maize I think it's called foxxi ,apparently it doesn't in a normal summer produce cobs ,the reason we're maybe looking at this maize is to not have the badgers /deer knocking it down to get to the cobs which we have a problem here with .prefer maize over kale as we have acres and acres of cauliflower s grown on our shoot ,have anyone out tried this maize any feedback would be great thanks in advance

We have tried sorghum on several occasions  and more hit and miss with weather when growing down here ,last year would have been brilliant with all the heat but you can get caught out with the wrong summer with this here in cornwall maize is far better growing temp wise .Growing kale is fine but issues are that the ground has been heavily growing commercially cauliflowers for the last 5years and we struggle with club root 😡😡even to the point we have planted utopia which brights said was club root resistant ,when they saw a sample they changed there wording for it 

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, figgy said:

Some good reeds and grasses that hold up well self seed and get better every year.

Find maize oy good for first half of the season then it gets too bare and cold to hold the birds when the bad weather kicks in. 

This. Even on big BIG shoot, the maize was past it's best before christmas, but the canary grass was still looking good on beaters day. There is a grass I see locally which grows thick and sturdy, with wide long spearhead shaped leaves, and in the autumn turns a vivid straw colour; it is wonderful to see and wonderful cover...if only I knew what it was!