Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jacko3275

Advice please

Recommended Posts

Been shooting clays today for only the 3rd time and tried the 5th gun of 4 brands ( berreta sport and field  , Miroku , Winchester, And  a Webley and Scott)don’t know models   and not sure if I like any  them...I’m waiting for my ticket to land on the doormat and thinking how will I know what gun is good for me

Edited by Jacko3275

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For your first gun just buy a 2nd hand Beretta Browning or miroku take someone experienced with you to make sure it fits. If you buy one of these ,in 6 months time when you come to change it for something else (and you will) you won't lose much money on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Been shooting clays today for only the 3rd time and tried the 5th gun of 4 brands ( berreta sport and field  , Miroku , Winchester, And  a Webley and Scott)don’t know models   and not sure if I like any  them...I’m waiting for my ticket to land on the doormat and thinking how will I know what gun is good for me

We're like Women in a shoe shop, Just to many Guns to choose from.

Good advise from Bornfree.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Only a novice ( went the 3rd time today) but can anyone point me in the right direction as to why I can hit a lot more left to right crossers and really struggle with right to lefts .... I am right  handed and right eye dominant 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VicW said:

Is the gun right hand cast?

Vic.

Tried 5 different guns all right hand peoples guns just seems when I’m looking over the barrel I struggle to hit them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had/have same problem, Alan (hitclays) did an eye test for dominance which proved massive difference,one way I am already in front enough not to give any lead and the other I have to be miles in front.Takes a while to get used to,along with getting right gun that fits and presentation of gun not being consistent enough so was either low or way behind, took a while to get it all together.

Now am aware its easy to remember. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bornfree said:

Are you lifting your head off the stock to look for the clay.

Not that I’m aware of ... shot air rifles all my life so know to keep head still and on the stock could the transition from airgins to shotguns be my problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just that on right to lefts you are looking over the gun and if the stock's a little low you could be raising your head to see the clay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wakka said:

Could be you're just getting used to it, it's only your third time out. Just keep practicing.

Your probably right  but thought there might be sum other reason 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing you can do is go to a good coach who understands gunfit etc and spend the money on some lessons. He will guide you on guns etc and it is money well spent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s seems like a common issue for inexperienced shots with right eye and hand dominance, I had exactly the same issue Friday when I was shooting, could not hit right to left crossers for love nor money! Some very useful videos on YouTube that explains the reasoning behind it,  just search right to left crossers and they will come up,  I think understanding why is a huge step toward solving the problem, I’m yet to get back out and try the advice given in the videos. But give them a look they may be if some use to you 👍🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two possibilities. Most right handed people find it easier to swing to the right than to the left so you might have to force your swing a bit more in that direction. Too much cast, most people miss behind so the cast is encouraging you to shoot in front to compensate for that going left to right but making you shoot behind going right to left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought my first o/u after two or 3 yrs of shooting a sxs, I tried 6 different guns at the clay ground, from used at £350 to new at £2500 and the one I shot best with was a 1980,s Spanish game gun. So I bought that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

The best thing you can do is go to a good coach who understands gunfit etc and spend the money on some lessons. He will guide you on guns etc and it is money well spent.

Maybe best thing to do .....determine to get good at this  I’m hitting close to 30-40% of  what I shoot at  but them right to lefts I barely hit

4 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

It’s seems like a common issue for inexperienced shots with right eye and hand dominance, I had exactly the same issue Friday when I was shooting, could not hit right to left crossers for love nor money! Some very useful videos on YouTube that explains the reasoning behind it,  just search right to left crossers and they will come up,  I think understanding why is a huge step toward solving the problem, I’m yet to get back out and try the advice given in the videos. But give them a look they may be if some use to you 👍🏻

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re: the crossers, are you shooting gun up or gun down?

Re: which gun to choose. You could have a few lessons with a good coach to find out which gun is most near to suiting you, and sort the crosser question too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scully said:

Re: the crossers, are you shooting gun up or gun down?

Re: which gun to choose. You could have a few lessons with a good coach to find out which gun is most near to suiting you, and sort the crosser question too. 

What’s  gun up gun down 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gun up = mounting into shoulder then calling pull

gun down = calling pull then Mounting

Edited by Spr1985

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment I put the gun to my cheek n shoulder then lower it from cheek and relax call pull them pick  back to cheek doubt I can pull from waste at the mo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starting with a high gun can obscure crossing targets coming from the side the shooter is biased to; obscure right crossers if right handed and vice versa. Being right handed it is much easier to look back at a left to right crosser with a high gun than the other way round, but your footwork will play a part also. There are right to left and left to right on report rabbits at one of the grounds I visit, and it pays dividends to carefully decide where you are going to kill each bird and position your feet accordingly, so you can ‘wind back’  from the waist/hips for each presentation. If you get it wrong and have to over rotate, you will more than likely cause your muzzles to come off line, resulting in a miss. 

Theres much much more to this shooting lark than people sometimes realise, and it takes years and years of good practice for it all to come together, but given time it will. Meanwhile, it is well worth the money to have a few lessons with a good coach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers for all your advice I will look up online n you tube but I think the 3 most importatant things I need is a gun that fits/or at least my own , tutoring and a lot more practice/experience 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...