Advice please

Jacko3275

Been shooting clays today for only the 3rd time and tried the 5th gun of 4 brands ( berreta sport and field  , Miroku , Winchester, And  a Webley and Scott)don’t know models   and not sure if I like any  them...I’m waiting for my ticket to land on the doormat and thinking how will I know what gun is good for me

Edited by Jacko3275

13 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Been shooting clays today for only the 3rd time and tried the 5th gun of 4 brands ( berreta sport and field  , Miroku , Winchester, And  a Webley and Scott)don’t know models   and not sure if I like any  them...I’m waiting for my ticket to land on the doormat and thinking how will I know what gun is good for me

We're like Women in a shoe shop, Just to many Guns to choose from.

Good advise from Bornfree.

I had/have same problem, Alan (hitclays) did an eye test for dominance which proved massive difference,one way I am already in front enough not to give any lead and the other I have to be miles in front.Takes a while to get used to,along with getting right gun that fits and presentation of gun not being consistent enough so was either low or way behind, took a while to get it all together.

Now am aware its easy to remember. 

It’s seems like a common issue for inexperienced shots with right eye and hand dominance, I had exactly the same issue Friday when I was shooting, could not hit right to left crossers for love nor money! Some very useful videos on YouTube that explains the reasoning behind it,  just search right to left crossers and they will come up,  I think understanding why is a huge step toward solving the problem, I’m yet to get back out and try the advice given in the videos. But give them a look they may be if some use to you 👍🏻

Two possibilities. Most right handed people find it easier to swing to the right than to the left so you might have to force your swing a bit more in that direction. Too much cast, most people miss behind so the cast is encouraging you to shoot in front to compensate for that going left to right but making you shoot behind going right to left.

8 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

The best thing you can do is go to a good coach who understands gunfit etc and spend the money on some lessons. He will guide you on guns etc and it is money well spent.

Maybe best thing to do .....determine to get good at this  I’m hitting close to 30-40% of  what I shoot at  but them right to lefts I barely hit

4 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

It’s seems like a common issue for inexperienced shots with right eye and hand dominance, I had exactly the same issue Friday when I was shooting, could not hit right to left crossers for love nor money! Some very useful videos on YouTube that explains the reasoning behind it,  just search right to left crossers and they will come up,  I think understanding why is a huge step toward solving the problem, I’m yet to get back out and try the advice given in the videos. But give them a look they may be if some use to you 👍🏻

👍

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

Re: the crossers, are you shooting gun up or gun down?

Re: which gun to choose. You could have a few lessons with a good coach to find out which gun is most near to suiting you, and sort the crosser question too. 

What’s  gun up gun down 

Starting with a high gun can obscure crossing targets coming from the side the shooter is biased to; obscure right crossers if right handed and vice versa. Being right handed it is much easier to look back at a left to right crosser with a high gun than the other way round, but your footwork will play a part also. There are right to left and left to right on report rabbits at one of the grounds I visit, and it pays dividends to carefully decide where you are going to kill each bird and position your feet accordingly, so you can ‘wind back’  from the waist/hips for each presentation. If you get it wrong and have to over rotate, you will more than likely cause your muzzles to come off line, resulting in a miss. 

Theres much much more to this shooting lark than people sometimes realise, and it takes years and years of good practice for it all to come together, but given time it will. Meanwhile, it is well worth the money to have a few lessons with a good coach.