Roast Pigs Head .

marsh man

I don't often post on this section for the simple fact that most of my meals are the run of the mill type and if I posted about them I am sure most of the members would find them to put it bluntly .... boring .

Well Thursday night we had our end of season shoot meal , after the traditional couple of pints before we sat down at the table the first items for the main course were brought in , laid on the table were four large oblong tins that were very nice Shepherds Pies , then what I thought were joints of Pork were in fact half of a pigs head , so in a way they were a joint of Pork , anyhow we all tucked in and I had a good dollop of pie and the mixed veg, but somehow I couldn't bring myself to eat some of the Pigs head , seeing the eye and a good set of teeth was a bit to much off-putting .

I am sure our good friend ditchy have eaten it , but if you or anyone else have eaten it , what is it like ??.

34 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I don't often post on this section for the simple fact that most of my meals are the run of the mill type and if I posted about them I am sure most of the members would find them to put it bluntly .... boring .

Well Thursday night we had our end of season shoot meal , after the traditional couple of pints before we sat down at the table the first items for the main course were brought in , laid on the table were four large oblong tins that were very nice Shepherds Pies , then what I thought were joints of Pork were in fact half of a pigs head , so in a way they were a joint of Pork , anyhow we all tucked in and I had a good dollop of pie and the mixed veg, but somehow I couldn't bring myself to eat some of the Pigs head , seeing the eye and a good set of teeth was a bit to much off-putting .

I am sure our good friend ditchy have eaten it , but if you or anyone else have eaten it , what is it like ??.

At a guess....Pork?..........but no, can't really say MM, I've never tasted it either? 🤔 But I probably would have passed on it too!

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

At a guess....Pork?..........but no, can't really say MM, I've never tasted it either? 🤔 But I probably would have passed on it too!

The ones that did eat it seem as if they were enjoying it , but after they scraped the so called meat off the skull I could still see the eye looking at me , enough was enough .

It reminded me of a medieval  banquet , all we wanted was a four and twenty Black bird pie ☺️

The Spanish (Catalan?) have a delicacy of Pigs cheeks. Which by the sound of it, you had. If you can get around the site of the eye and the teeth in the jaw bone, This dish is just  the upper jaw, not the lower. It is/was one of the best dishes i have ever had! They also eat the eye, but i passed on that! The pork is extremely tender and tasty, but i'm sure the gravy/sauce it came in made it taste so good.

11 hours ago, silver pigeon69 said:

The Spanish (Catalan?) have a delicacy of Pigs cheeks. Which by the sound of it, you had. If you can get around the site of the eye and the teeth in the jaw bone, This dish is just  the upper jaw, not the lower. It is/was one of the best dishes i have ever had! They also eat the eye, but i passed on that! The pork is extremely tender and tasty, but i'm sure the gravy/sauce it came in made it taste so good.

11 hours ago, amateur said:

Pork cheek, slow cooked, is delicious.

Morrisons often stock it, and it is excellent braised in cider or in Goan curries.

THANKS....... Maybe the next time , if there is a next time I will pluck up courage and give it a try .

I tried pigs head once when I was a kid but can’t remember what it was like. I once ordered roast boars head on holiday in Spain, expecting a pig’s head with an apple in it’s mouth but when it came it was just a plate of brawn. I wouldn’t have minded if it was nice brawn but it was awful. I still like brawn, when I can get it, don’t see it very often though.

10 hours ago, Mighty Ruler said:

I tried pigs head once when I was a kid but can’t remember what it was like. I once ordered roast boars head on holiday in Spain, expecting a pig’s head with an apple in it’s mouth but when it came it was just a plate of brawn. I wouldn’t have minded if it was nice brawn but it was awful. I still like brawn, when I can get it, don’t see it very often though.

We used to get Pork Cheese off the tripe stalls along with Chitterlings and jot , udder , Cows Heel and thick or thin tripe , the stall next door sold Jellied Ells and then walk across the market to the butchers who sold Haslet , Savory Ducks and Brawn , happy days.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

We used to get Pork Cheese off the tripe stalls along with Chitterlings and jot , udder , Cows Heel and thick or thin tripe , the stall next door sold Jellied Ells and then walk across the market to the butchers who sold Haslet , Savory Ducks and Brawn , happy days.

I still buy tripe, brawn and savoury ducks when I see them, I’d like to try chitterlings, udder and cow heel again but never see it. Only had jellied eels once and wasn’t too keen, never had the others though.

I've eaten pigs cheeks along with half a crackled suckling pig like in the picture.

I'm not a fan of the sweetbreads on their own but in a pork pie mmm tasty.

We have become too accustomed to pre packed meat and even in butchers it's all sanitary to look at. Not all that many years ago I used to see the pigs hung in the butcher's and they would cut you off what you require if it was not in the counter.

Nothing like a full roasted pig.

On 11/02/2019 at 21:37, la bala said:

I have eaten pigs cheek in Andalucia, didnt really like it. The ones in the pic are everywhere.

Capture pig.PNG

Anyone know if/where you can buy something this size in the UK? Last time I asked a farmer, they said they wouldn't sell one this size, as they grow so quickly they would be worth double in a few weeks. 

I love a bit of brawn. Never had roasted pig face because before I’d even taken my boots off it was in a pan simmering away to become brawn or as we used to call it pigs head pate. It’s more of a terrine than a pate. I’ve also been a huge fan of trotters since I was tiny but as I’ve got older and more discerning the bones annoy me more and more!

Pigs cheek lovely. I used to work with my father in law in his butchers and always had a cooked pigs head in the window at Christmas with an orange in its mouth. Trouble was my brother in law married a veggie. As father in law lived behind the shop we had to throw a towel over it when she came around to stop her freaking out!