Is fowling still as popular ?

holloway

S

4 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Yes marshman I wouldn’t condemn anybody regarding getting good bags but as I say greed has played its part in wildfowling I’ve seen some big bags being shown on social media which I don’t like Regarding the teal population one of the loughs I shoot is only shot on a Saturday but it’s like a cowboy film sometimes some of the Fowler’s shooting There was a good population of teal but the over shooting of them has made them decline 

Surely the teal come and go as they see fit. One day I can go on the marsh and see next to nothing, but the next day it might be teeming with ducks. Different conditions etc, means different numbers.

On 13/02/2019 at 22:45, motty said:

S

Surely the teal come and go as they see fit. One day I can go on the marsh and see next to nothing, but the next day it might be teeming with ducks. Different conditions etc, means different numbers.

Try to tell Natural England that!! In the Wildfowling Consents negotiations, the idiots are suggesting Wildfowling is restricted locally in relation to the number of duck on a particular estuary at a particular time!! They seem to think the duck are permanently in residence on their "home" estuary, and imply any fall in numbers is a reaction to the activities of Wildfowlers!.......They seem reluctant to accept any other reason for any decline!

On 11/02/2019 at 15:39, holloway said:

Couldnt agree more ,i saw a post on facebook the other week were a fowler was shooting at one of my favorite spots on a Scottish river happy as Larry because they had put 17 in the bag on their first morning (Pinks that is ) ,that was between 3 with the rest of the week to go.

It is a spot were you can always bag a goose so no skill required really and i know they werent doing anything illegal i could have filled my boots there many a time but never felt the need to .

The post disappeared very quickly from the page ,someone told me the writer had something to do with one of the shooting organisations.The thing is why post it and then remove it ? maybe felt a little embarrassed or certainly didnt feel that proud afterwards did he ?

I never saw this personally as I don't have any kind of social sites but I can tell you this page was removed at the request of one of the local wildfowlers. Although more than many would want the numbers of geese killed was not so much the issue but the fact that they used the stone dykes in the middle of the roost as cover was an issue. Why people (I won't call them wildfowlers) cannot just use the cover of the reed beds and avoid the roost baffles me. Another issue was the fact that these people boasted about shooting over the same dyke for three mornings in a row. Tell me, would a decent goose guide shoot the same field three mornings in a row????????

On 11/02/2019 at 09:14, guzzicat said:

I noticed far more fowlers  @ Nigg bay  in November, but I think a lot were fowlers usually visitors to Findhorn bay pushed north by the foundation terrorists.

I heard this too from one of my syndicate members that heads up that way, he'd never seen so many folks at Nigg. Hopefully Findhorn will get sorted out.

On 15/02/2019 at 10:28, Tay Man said:

I never saw this personally as I don't have any kind of social sites but I can tell you this page was removed at the request of one of the local wildfowlers. Although more than many would want the numbers of geese killed was not so much the issue but the fact that they used the stone dykes in the middle of the roost as cover was an issue. Why people (I won't call them wildfowlers) cannot just use the cover of the reed beds and avoid the roost baffles me. Another issue was the fact that these people boasted about shooting over the same dyke for three mornings in a row. Tell me, would a decent goose guide shoot the same field three mornings in a row????????

Yes a goose guide would keep shooting the same field 3 mornings in a row if the geese kept coming and the punters kept paying ! Not sure this is the same area as you describe as its certainly not in the middle of the roost.... you could be in the reed beds with the geese within yards of you on the mud .

1 hour ago, holloway said:

Yes a goose guide would keep shooting the same field 3 mornings in a row if the geese kept coming and the punters kept paying ! Not sure this is the same area as you describe as its certainly not in the middle of the roost.... you could be in the reed beds with the geese within yards of you on the mud .

No doubt. Hence the use of the word "decent".

Apologies if we are cross wiring. The area I talk of is one of the very popular stone dykes that traverses from the reed beds towards the main channel on a popular east coast of Scotland firth. These dykes most definitely do cover the roosts and require absolute zero field craft to bag a bird. The difference between true wildfowlers and get a goose at all cost getters.

8 hours ago, Tay Man said:

No doubt. Hence the use of the word "decent".

Apologies if we are cross wiring. The area I talk of is one of the very popular stone dykes that traverses from the reed beds towards the main channel on a popular east coast of Scotland firth. These dykes most definitely do cover the roosts and require absolute zero field craft to bag a bird. The difference between true wildfowlers and get a goose at all cost getters.

No need to apologies always happy to listen and be educated by a local.

23 hours ago, edenman said:

Perhaps the increase in fowlers on Nigg relates to Findhorn? It may be that cowboys are finding Findhorn a bit hot so are going else where. Nigg may become the new Findhorn???

I think you're correct, but I think its more the travelling gun who doesn't want his sport ruined by a few idiots. If I'd booked a holiday I wouldn't want it ruined by a couple of idiots, given most geese leave over the corner they sit at. There are plenty of spots at Findhorn you'll never see an anti but you might only see ducks too. Hopefully a resolution comes soon and things can settle back down.

I would suspect those who drive north for their fowling will look at the extra miles as a small inconvenience to get away from the antis. If findhorn friends follow me about they will be wasting their time, I’m always in the wrong place. As a visitor I think it always pays to tread lightly and leave only footprints.