Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Walker570

Birds breasts....

    Recommended Posts

    Down Ditchy.....DOWN!!!    Pheasant, partridge, woodpigeon etc etc.... I discovered a really good way of cooking the breast meat of any of these and think it would work for ducks and even maybe goose.

    Firstly shoot your bird and take off the breast meat, put these on a plate and then squeeze the juice of two limes all over, flip them over so well covered. Then cover and roll in flour.

    Heat up a large deep skillet with about 2 to 3 oz of butter or even a bit more will not hurt and at this stage I add seasoning of choice, I have and used some Cajun seasoning I had shipped from the USA.

    The charitzo sausage you add later will give it a sparkle !  Seasoning is a personal choice.

    Fry the breast in the pan until lightly browned on both sides add two table spoons of dark rum and flame once the flames have subsided then transfer the breast meat to a covered heat proof dish/crock pot deep enough to also contain what is to follow.

    Having finely chopped a medium sized onion add this to the pan and cook until soft and starting to brown. Having cored and finely chopped a small ripe pineapple ( a  tin of chopped pineaplle will do at a push) add this to the pan along with two tablespoons of raisins.  Use as much pineapple juice as you can because you now bring this to the boil and cook for a few minutes until it all starts to mix together nicely. then after pouring it all over the breasts....DITCHIE, BEHAVE!!  SIT!!   put the slices of charitzo (see below) put the lid on and put it in the oven at 110c and slow cook it for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs checking to see it is not drying out after about 1/2 hr and I add a small amount of real lemonade ...I repeat REAL lemonade.  It needs to stay moist be not swimming in fluid. 

    Now I purchase a full link of charitzo sausage, you can get smoked spicy from Aldi, excellent, it is about 3/4 inch in diameter, I cut this in 1/4 inch slices and add to the pot.

    Check to see the meat is cooked after 1 1/2 to 2hrs and you can then serve it direct, or set it aside and it will stand and re heat for later. Last evening we had some friends in for supper and I prepared and cooked this at mid day, then turned the oven back on half an hour before serving at 6pm. I used four prepared partridge I purchased from Catton Estate and just took the breast meat off the crowns.  You could freeze it once cold for future use, although  here it usually gets devoured pretty quickly.  

     

     

    Edited by Walker570

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    21 hours ago, ditchman said:

    very dissapointing..........

    You Michelen star chefs take some pleasing :no: , I thought it sounded lovely , in fact I can smell it coming through my lap top☺️ 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    49 minutes ago, marsh man said:

    You Michelen star chefs take some pleasing :no: , I thought it sounded lovely , in fact I can smell it coming through my lap top☺️ 

    i was refering to the post title........not the culinery verbage.............

     

     

    the title was very Brexit/EU....................."promises happiness...........delivers nuthin'.."

     

    you "old boyz may have had your day...and no longer get excited about breasts......but let me tell you now..."i may no longer be in the army....but im still on active service (if you know what i mean).."

    Edited by ditchman

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, ditchman said:

    i was refering to the post title........not the culinery verbage.............

     

     

    the title was very Brexit/EU....................."promises happiness...........delivers nuthin'.."

     

    you "old boyz may have had your day...and no longer get excited about breasts......but let me tell you now..."i may no longer be in the army....but im still on active service (if you know what i mean).."

    What do yer mean , may have had our day , it was only Sunday morning when I last handled a nice pair of breasts and they are now marinating in a casserole dish ready for tomorrows night tea , the Pheasant will quickly be followed by a pair of English partridges for Saturdays night , tell yer boi , I might no longer be on active service ( if you know what I mean :hmm:) but I do put some good food in my mouth instead of what used to go in it :lol:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    You Norfolk boys are getting very close to the bone.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

    The breast bone!

    Correct. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    9 minutes ago, Blackpowder said:

    I can see this post going tits up shortly.

     

    Blackpowder

    its already gone that way mate tooooooooooooooooo  ..late..:yes:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Some of us real oldies remember when there was a recipe book which always started with 'First catch your rabbit'   or 'Firstly catch your trout', I was simple following that tradition but your absolutely correct, they do flap about a bit trying it the other way:yay:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

    Be bloody difficult to get the breasts off if you do not shoot it first😂

    But not impossible!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

    Some of us real oldies remember when there was a recipe book which always started with 'First catch your rabbit'   or 'Firstly catch your trout', I was simple following that tradition but your absolutely correct, they do flap about a bit trying it the other way:yay:

    You most probably had a better education than us Walker , I can remember the books but as we couldn't read or write we were more than likely out trying to catch our first Rabbit :lol:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, marsh man said:

    You most probably had a better education than us Walker , I can remember the books but as we couldn't read or write we were more than likely out trying to catch our first Rabbit 

    My granddad used to say, "You can't skin it till you catch it" and used the sayings in many a context. Once remembered when a young lad was leching after a local lass at a Christmas party

    ..brought the house down:lol:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    A friend is a chef, I asked him the best thing to put on chicken thighs, he said "support tights"

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    15 hours ago, guzzicat said:

    A friend is a chef, I asked him the best thing to put on chicken thighs, he said "support tights"

    :yahoo: A chef with a sense of humour.

      Try crushed pineapple. I saw a test of various things on youtube to tendrise steak and the one that came out best was pineapple.  Chop it up and use the flesh and the juice.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    the best fruit for tenderising meat is Paw-paw.............many years in africa taught me that...particuly when getting fresh meat that was still twitching..

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, ditchman said:

    the best fruit for tenderising meat is Paw-paw.............many years in africa taught me that...particuly when getting fresh meat that was still twitching..

    Yep, spot on as usual. My late friend Finn Aagaard, ex Kenyan/East African pro guide also sang it's praises.  Probably has the same enzymy whatever thingies in it as pineapple.

    An off shoot of those partridge breast in pineapple was there was about two pieces left over and a fair bit of the fruit and juice, plus a couple of baked potatoes, so my wife put the lot through the blender and it made awesome soup for lunch next day. Waste not want not.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

    Yep, spot on as usual. My late friend Finn Aagaard, ex Kenyan/East African pro guide also sang it's praises.  Probably has the same enzymy whatever thingies in it as pineapple.

    An off shoot of those partridge breast in pineapple was there was about two pieces left over and a fair bit of the fruit and juice, plus a couple of baked potatoes, so my wife put the lot through the blender and it made awesome soup for lunch next day. Waste not want not.

    Reading through your posts I can tell you are a man with a flair for cooking , marvelous what a blender can do to a few bits and pieces , I am also a firm believer in , Waste not want not .

    My mother had six of us and the single dustbin was never more than half full when the binmen came round to empty it .

    A lot of our family members were associated in the fishing industry working on the Herring drifters and the trawlers running out of Lowertoft , fish was often on the menu , when I say often it was nearly every night in the Winter when they were catching Herring out of Yarmouth , one night we would have fried Herring and roes that were in flour , scored with a knife and Lemon squeezed in them. then another night it was Bloaters , followed by Kippers the next night  , this was fine having a different meal of fish each night , it was only when we were a bit older that we found out that the three different meals came from the same species of fish  :lol: 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    27 minutes ago, marsh man said:

    Reading through your posts I can tell you are a man with a flair for cooking , marvelous what a blender can do to a few bits and pieces , I am also a firm believer in , Waste not want not .

    My mother had six of us and the single dustbin was never more than half full when the binmen came round to empty it .

    A lot of our family members were associated in the fishing industry working on the Herring drifters and the trawlers running out of Lowertoft , fish was often on the menu , when I say often it was nearly every night in the Winter when they were catching Herring out of Yarmouth , one night we would have fried Herring and roes that were in flour , scored with a knife and Lemon squeezed in them. then another night it was Bloaters , followed by Kippers the next night  , this was fine having a different meal of fish each night , it was only when we were a bit older that we found out that the three different meals came from the same species of fish  :lol: 

    she didnt have much sucess in throwing you lot away....shud have used a heavier lid...:lol:

     

    bloaters are food of the gods always have 2 at a time with brown bread and butter..(guten free of coarse).....still get them from the fish van that stops off at acle once/week....

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

    she didnt have much sucess in throwing you lot away....shud have used a heavier lid...

     

    bloaters are food of the gods always have 2 at a time with brown bread and butter..(guten free of coarse).....still get them from the fish van that stops off at acle once/week....

    Can you remember the binmen emptying the dustbin into a tin bath and then walking back to the dustcart with the bath on there head , they would need a big bath and a big head come to that if they done the same nowadays .

    Herring are still fairly cheap , there is a bloke who sell them on the quay for 6 for quid, and if there are a lot about he sell them for 10 for a quid . we only have them now at the Maritime Festival in September , the last time we had them at home you could still smell them in the house three weeks later .:lol: 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    52 minutes ago, marsh man said:

    Can you remember the binmen emptying the dustbin into a tin bath and then walking back to the dustcart with the bath on there head , they would need a big bath and a big head come to that if they done the same nowadays .

    Herring are still fairly cheap , there is a bloke who sell them on the quay for 6 for quid, and if there are a lot about he sell them for 10 for a quid . we only have them now at the Maritime Festival in September , the last time we had them at home you could still smell them in the house three weeks later .:lol: 

    you are quite right.......about the smell ....but nobody comes to visit us anymore....treat us as if we have black death........so i dont give a toss in hell what smell there is anymore...its my pleasure so stuff em...bloaters dont smell as much as kippers can tho'  :good:..and they are good for you

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Born almost on the day war broke out and on a farm as well, I was fed whatever was available. It was a dairy farm and I hate milk to this day, cream is OK though because I remember my grandmother skimming fresh cream off large pansions in our pantry and letting me dip my finger in the bowl.  It always amazed me when grandad fried peewits eggs because the whites don't go white they stay clear ...delicious... sparrow pie on the menu if I managed to shoot enough ...9s out of grandads old 12 gauge usually worked when I grew big enough to handle the recoil .... about 9yrs old, gun rested through a hole in the mixing shed door as they flocked to some grain in the tractor shed yard.  Also we had a big clap net and very now and then in autumn/winter we would work the thick hedgerows and harvest birds that way.  Rabbits, pigeon and partridge and also peewits, they where in huge flocks back then.  Grew up never to waste food and eat what was put infront of me.  Once a week in the summer my mother would give me a threepenny bit to run out and buy an icecream off the guy who came by on a bike with a box on the front. Some times he gave us a piece of 'ice' which we took and dropped in the cow watering trough to watch it bubble and fizz.   Amazing upbringing and if Brexit brings the doom and gloom predicted I am sure I will survive unlike many modern humans.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    Sign in to follow this  

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×