Birds breasts....

Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Born almost on the day war broke out and on a farm as well, I was fed whatever was available. It was a dairy farm and I hate milk to this day, cream is OK though because I remember my grandmother skimming fresh cream off large pansions in our pantry and letting me dip my finger in the bowl.  It always amazed me when grandad fried peewits eggs because the whites don't go white they stay clear ...delicious... sparrow pie on the menu if I managed to shoot enough ...9s out of grandads old 12 gauge usually worked when I grew big enough to handle the recoil .... about 9yrs old, gun rested through a hole in the mixing shed door as they flocked to some grain in the tractor shed yard.  Also we had a big clap net and very now and then in autumn/winter we would work the thick hedgerows and harvest birds that way.  Rabbits, pigeon and partridge and also peewits, they where in huge flocks back then.  Grew up never to waste food and eat what was put infront of me.  Once a week in the summer my mother would give me a threepenny bit to run out and buy an icecream off the guy who came by on a bike with a box on the front. Some times he gave us a piece of 'ice' which we took and dropped in the cow watering trough to watch it bubble and fizz.   Amazing upbringing and if Brexit brings the doom and gloom predicted I am sure I will survive unlike many modern humans.

Very interesting and no talk about take a ways , sound like an ideal up bringing .

I didn't know that about the whites on the Lapwings eggs , cant say I have never ate to many of those eggs as we only found the odd nest , although I have got some old local books where it stated the women used to fill a whicker basket up with Plover eggs and sell them on the market.

I have ate several Moorhens eggs that we used to get in the reed beds on the marshes , if they were out of reach we had a large spoon on the end of the linen line prop , these tasted like Bantam's eggs and when fried they did go White . 

8 hours ago, JDog said:

I've eaten plovers eggs and moorhens eggs. Quite delicious. 

One thing I learned with moorhens eggs was not to open them straight into the frying pan after I cracked one open over the pan and a fully formed chick popped out. 

When we were collecting bird eggs in our youth , we used to put them in a bowl of water to check weather they had young in the eggs , if they floated we put them back in the nests , if they sunk we would then ***** them at both ends and blow the yolk out , another bit of useless information :lol: