BBC LICENCE FEE - TOO HIGH!

pinfireman

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

errrrrr??????  Whats a TV ?????????     Oh yes I remember now the last one we had I took back to the Radio Rentals company in 1986, have not had one in the house since then.  We still keep getting harrased by the License Fee office though , so every time they send me a threatening letter, I write a long drawn out letter back of at least three pages,  as to why we have not had a license or a TV since 1986.

Must admit to turning on the set in a hotel or B&B but within seconds turn it off again because it is such drivel, banal garbage.

Edited by Walker570

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You believe what you want to, you are obviously biased because it is how you make your living.

I will continue to feel that the licence fee should be abolished and let the once great BBC survive if it can adapt.

You are right I do earn my living from them, and as you know all employees offer blind obedience to their master without question don’t they!

i stated in my first reply I think the licence fee needs to go so we’re at least agreeing with that. The difference is it still needs state funding to not end up just another commercial channel.

If you think the price is too high don’t buy it. 

I’ve never paid the licence fee and never had a tv. Watch the 6 nations in the pub and spend the licence fee on beer. 

I firmly belive the people who use a service should be the ones who fund it. Why should people living off investments get it for free whilst those living off income pay? (I understand there are certain exemptions/reductions for those requiring certain benefits).

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

You are right I do earn my living from them, and as you know all employees offer blind obedience to their master without question don’t they!

i stated in my first reply I think the licence fee needs to go so we’re at least agreeing with that. The difference is it still needs state funding to not end up just another commercial channel.

Apparently so.

I would rather the BBC gathered revenue from advertising rather than a compulsory fee from the general public. I regard it as dictatorial, outdated and totally unnecessary, and in my experience, it's enforcement bluntly aggressive. 

As for it's impartiality, or if one prefers, the broadcasting of programmes with an overt agenda/ hosted by persons with overt agendas, then we'll have to agree to disagree. It's complaints department is very difficult to navigate, and again in my experience, none responsive. 

It's a shame as they do make some fabulous programmes. 

18 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

errrrrr??????  Whats a TV ?????????     Oh yes I remember now the last one we had I took back to the Radio Rentals company in 1986, have not had one in the house since then.  We still keep getting harrased by the License Fee office though , so every time they send me a threatening letter, I write a long drawn out letter back of at least three pages,  as to why we have not had a license or a TV since 1986.

Must admit to turning on the set in a hotel or B&B but within seconds turn it off again because it is such drivel, banal garbage.

I wouldn't bother; what are they going to do? I have experience of this and despite no matter how many times you tell them you have no tv, they WILL at some point in the future, start to harass you again. 

11 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

firmly belive the people who use a service should be the ones who fund it. Why should people living off investments get it for free whilst those living off income pay?

Because most of those over 75 got their "investments" by saving when they were "living off income" instead of blowing it  all , it is called a pension. This is also taxed like an income at the same rate.  There is very little that the over 75s get for nowt given that they use  the services their tax pays for less than earners.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

Right tin hat strapped thoroughly on...

As a BBC employee I do agree the licence fee is not popular and would be better funded indirectly through taxation like many public service broadcasters over the world. In my experience not many people are rabidly anti BBC but very many are anti licence fee and it's aggressive enforcement so addressing that would be a good start.

You can't compare Netflix and Amazon to anything except them, they are both chucking money at star talent, way more than any other broadcasters so if you hate some of the money paid to BBC people then these amounts would really make your ears bleed. Sadly both of these broadcasters are also running at an enormous loss which is only sustainable through Amazon's shopping portal propping up Prime, and Netflix having deep pocketed private backers who will at some point want to start making money.

The importance of a public service broadcaster is massive, unless you only want what Murdoch wants you to know? I am pre-emptively acknowledging the fact that most of the naysayers will say the BBC is biased etc etc but we really do strive for balance.

The over 75's licence fee is a disgrace, government used to fund it and dropped it onto the BBC to figure out. I don't think you'd find anyone disagreeing it should continue but it real terms it means roughly 1/5 in loss of revenue and I don't know any organisation that could survive that without massive cuts (cue lots of people suggesting where they could save money by sacking Lineker etc)

I realise I might as well be shouting this into the wind but like most BBC people we really do love working for a world respected broadcaster and don't earn nearly as much as we would in the private sector - think NHS versus private healthcare and you're probably not far off.

I can't do anything about Packham however - but think how many countryside shows are on the other channels....

But to pay for it from a tax perspective means even those “like myself” who don’t own a TV will be liable for the tax too! I think that is wholely unfair. I don’t want to watch anything the BBC has to offer! I go to the cinema or rent a DVD to watch on the laptop. I don’t use iplayer or Netflix. I get my news from the papers. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

But to pay for it from a tax perspective means even those “like myself” who don’t own a TV will be liable for the tax too! I think that is wholely unfair. I don’t want to watch anything the BBC has to offer! I go to the cinema or rent a DVD to watch on the laptop. I don’t use iplayer or Netflix. I get my news from the papers. 

I think that is exactly the problem, how does one fund a state broadcaster in a fair way? If anyone has the answer I’m sure there’s lots of people that would listen. There are pros and cons to all the funding streams so I don’t envisage ever getting consensus to any meaningful degree.

1 minute ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

I think that is exactly the problem, how does one fund a state broadcaster in a fair way? If anyone has the answer I’m sure there’s lots of people that would listen. There are pros and cons to all the funding streams so I don’t envisage ever getting consensus to any meaningful degree.

The current funding stream would be acceptable if the news/current affairs and "lifestyle programming was balanced and not as it is now rampantly biased to those that have a basically left wing "gardianista" agenda.

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

Here's an idea,

Why not scramble the channels and if pepole want to be brain washed by state propaganda they can subscribe and un-scramble the channels.

Oh wait, no one (well almost no one) would so it would be the end of the BBC.

The only way it can survive is through the TAX that is the licence fee.

Spot on. 

I regularly move house and until I get a TV set up I don't pay a licence fee, the amount of threatening letters I get through the post on a regular basis really gets my back up. If it wasn't for my partner, I can honestly say I wouldn't have a TV, just out of principle so I didn't have to fund a government funded properganda organisation. 

In UK law, we're innocent until proven guilty, so why is it your presumed guilty until the BBC can bully their way into someone's home to check they're not secretly watching TV? 

Just don't buy a licence....it's that simple!  We don't watch 'live' tv, so do not require a licence! Without going into detail, I've not had one since 2012, told the BBC that I have removed Capita's (aka TV Licencing) Implied Rights of Access and if they dared to call round, I would take them to court!  No one came and no letters either!   For more info see TV Licence resistance.com.   

2 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

I think that is exactly the problem, how does one fund a state broadcaster in a fair way?

By letting those that want it, pay for it.

I subscribe to Netflix and Amazon. I pay for these services because I see value in them.  I don't have a tv licence because I don't watch live tv.

Your selfish idea of a general tax, to pay for something that you want, at the expense of others, many of whom are poorer than you, is morally wrong.  The fact that you seek to draw your salary from your proposed tax makes it even more repugnant.

5 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Spot on. 

I regularly move house and until I get a TV set up I don't pay a licence fee, the amount of threatening letters I get through the post on a regular basis really gets my back up. If it wasn't for my partner, I can honestly say I wouldn't have a TV, just out of principle so I didn't have to fund a government funded properganda organisation. 

In UK law, we're innocent until proven guilty, so why is it your presumed guilty until the BBC can bully their way into someone's home to check they're not secretly watching TV? 

A very good point, something very wrong in what they are allowed to do.

There should be an element of choice, and if you choose as many have done to not have a TV and hence no licence, it should be accepted as it is a growing trend.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A very good point, something very wrong in what they are allowed to do.

There should be an element of choice, and if you choose as many have done to not have a TV and hence no licence, it should be accepted as it is a growing trend.

Just to make it clear, without a licence you can still have a tv and use it for dvd's, u tube, catch up tv (except BBC), computer games, etc, just not for live tv!   Not that the BBC know what you are doing as there's no such thing as real detector vans!  Here's a fascinating fact!  Detection 'evidence' has never been used in court for prosecutions for licence 'evaders'.  Why?  Because it doesn't exist!  If the BBC think that they're so popular, why don't they go subscription service?  

I think it's value for money when seen in the context of what else is available, SKY is way more expensive and its content not really focussed towards this country, Netflix is just a film library and unless you enjoy mind numbingly average stuff it very rarely has anything actually worth losing 90 minutes of your life for - be careful what you wish for because if and when the licence fee is removed there will be even more corporate power exerted over what we watch. British drama and comedy may well suffer a death blow too. 

As for "balance" and impartiality 😂  😴   don't make me laugh, all news channels, every single one including the BBC receive their "brief" from a single source, they are nothing but propaganda mouthpieces, I really am surprised people haven't noticed this yet when every channel covers the same things with the same narrative every day, only the presenters are different, there is no independent journalism, they repeat the same things and more importantly avoid covering the same things, (our friendly antiestablishmentnotpayingduetaxes rebels are into their fourth month with dozens of physical life changing injuries and yet deemed less important than Venezuela two oceans away. That's never going to change regardless of us paying fees or not. 

35 minutes ago, washerboy said:

I use my TV for streaming movies, haven't watch live TV and the BBC in general for 5 years, we did get letters and then they checked that I didn't have an aerial. Every 18 months they write asking if I need a licence 

But why should you have to let the BBC in to your home to check your not breaking the law, just to stop the harassment. You don't see the police knocking on doors of non certificate holders to check they don't illegally have a firearm, or harassment to see if you have fishing rods that you could be using to illegally fish, it's state backed harassment that presumes guilt and its wrong. 

15 hours ago, pinfireman said:

BBC-FEE-TOO-HIGH.jpg?resize=540%2C429&ssl=1

75% OF (insert group here) think THAT THE BBC licence fee is too high.

Your welcome.

13 hours ago, clakk said:

Totally correct anti,shooting,anti country sports ,anti brexit and totally left wing biased bunch of overpaid fascists .The totally objective organisation has been dead for years ,they have an agenda to push and a gravy train to fuel 

...and then this?

Go out, go shooting, get in the shed and give it a sort out, get your fishing tackle sorted for the coming season, straighten a few sticks and sort out some handles, sort out the dogs training problems, get some reloading done, check the scopes zero, stop faffing about bumping your gums about a telly fee that is a minimal cost or amount of your day compared with all the other things you could get all upset about.

52 minutes ago, Hamster said:

I think it's value for money when seen in the context of what else is available, SKY is way more expensive and its content not really focussed towards this country, Netflix is just a film library and unless you enjoy mind numbingly average stuff it very rarely has anything actually worth losing 90 minutes of your life for - be careful what you wish for because if and when the licence fee is removed there will be even more corporate power exerted over what we watch. British drama and comedy may well suffer a death blow too. 

As for "balance" and impartiality 😂  😴   don't make me laugh, all news channels, every single one including the BBC receive their "brief" from a single source, they are nothing but propaganda mouthpieces, I really am surprised people haven't noticed this yet when every channel covers the same things with the same narrative every day, only the presenters are different, there is no independent journalism, they repeat the same things and more importantly avoid covering the same things, (our friendly antiestablishmentnotpayingduetaxes rebels are into their fourth month with dozens of physical life changing injuries and yet deemed less important than Venezuela two oceans away. That's never going to change regardless of us paying fees or not. 

I’m not sure anyone is disputing its value, just the way it is funded,  which you are and can be ceaselessly harassed for even if you don’t have a tv. 

I disagree regarding Netflix, which I enjoy immensely. I pay eight quid a month and there is some very good stuff on there. Some of the Netflix Originals are worth the fee on their own in my opinion. 

42 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

But why should you have to let the BBC in to your home to check your not breaking the law, just to stop the harassment.

You don't.  Close the door on the them.  They have no power to enter your home.  The only way they secure prosecutions is people voluntarily letting them in and/or signing their own convictions. 

29 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m not sure anyone is disputing its value, just the way it is funded,  which you are and can be ceaselessly harassed for even if you don’t have a tv. 

I disagree regarding Netflix, which I enjoy immensely. I pay eight quid a month and there is some very good stuff on there. Some of the Netflix Originals are worth the fee on their own in my opinion. 

We've binge watched Breaking Bad, wife enjoys some of the period drama series and we both watch some of the gladiator type yarns, last good film I watched on there was only a few days ago :), recommend "Lion" with Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman although the star of the movie is far and away the utterly brilliant little Indian child. What I meant is that for your £96 quid you just get lots of films the majority of which I personally couldn't watch if you paid me, the BBC fee by contrast is for an amazing range of subjects and interests, I don't "like" the BBC as an entity but can't deny it's fantastic value.  

If paying the fee really  bothers people then there are ways around it so long as you truly don't watch it. 

16 hours ago, pinfireman said:

Netflix’s global success

You tthink a company that burned through $3 billion in 2018 (and has made a loss for the last 4 years) is a model you want to follow?:  https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/17/netflix-says-its-cash-burn-will-peak-this-year-then-go-down.html

I have no love for the BBC, but thinking that Netflix is a good example for a company is ridiculous.  Like many huge Tech companies (Tesla, Amazon), Netflix is a loss making behemoth.  Just because their name is up in lights does not mean they are a good company,

RS