BBC LICENCE FEE - TOO HIGH!

pinfireman

38 minutes ago, clakk said:

Funnily enough ,do her shopping ,pay her phone bill,take her for meals and look after her ,moved to sheltered housing around the corner when dad passed away and dont know what your implications are as you dont know me from adam but you have totally missed the point mr offensive why should over 75,s pay for a tv licence again .Do explain your reasoning

I was unaware of the rules and regs regarding seniors and the TV licencing, except that at my mothers care home the fee was paid by the home, if she was staying with me then I wouldn`t pay anything. Apparently your mum could have paid 7-50 if she was over 60 and under 75 and in full time care/sheltered accom. After 75 she pays nothing. If you really want to do something the petition is here

Also the OP is really bending the money side of the argument, most people would have had B&W until the mid eighties, so they would have had to pay 4-5 quid until the late `60`s when it gradually increased to 18 quid in `85. At that time the colour licence was £58 and equivalent to £155 when adjusted for RPI etc. However away from the sums; in all that time you had access to two stations at the start of the `60`s to far too many now, yet still pay the same in real terms (if you could have had a colour tv all the way back then).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it’s possible I’m in a minority here, but I think it’s far too cheap. I would gladly sell my house and it’s contents to fund the bbc.

Who is mad enough to pay for a subscription service where you still get bombarded by adverts. Drama is badly damaged by constant breaks to exhort you to buy toilet cleaner.

To add insult to injury, there are a number of sky channels that contain nothing but recycled bbc output. And people have the nerve to complain about repeats on bbc! 

17 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

Well, it’s possible I’m in a minority here, but I think it’s far too cheap. I would gladly sell my house and it’s contents to fund the bbc.

Who is mad enough to pay for a subscription service where you still get bombarded by adverts. Drama is badly damaged by constant breaks to exhort you to buy toilet cleaner.

To add insult to injury, there are a number of sky channels that contain nothing but recycled bbc output. And people have the nerve to complain about repeats on bbc! 

I think you’re missing the point....it’s not about the cost but the way it is funded.

5 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

That isn't remotely what I said, I said it's a Brexit level of polarisation ie the majority of people are very much on one end or the other of the debate and neither can see anything other than their opinion being right. 

There is no way that Corbyn,s mob can complain about hostile coverage  at the BBC...they almost bend over to kiss his ring!

5 hours ago, Hamster said:

Correct 👍 . 

I have most definitely noticed that and it's just one of many establishment realities we live with, many if not most of even the so called Brexiter politicians don't actually want to leave. 

That dodges what I said...wether they actually want to leave or not is not the question. The BBC are NOT impartial in this matter, and that is a disgraceful position to take from a broadcaster forever boasting about how even-handed and fair they are..................

3 hours ago, henry d said:

If my mother was alive and struggling I think I would be helping her out?

Not everyone is in a financial position to help, unless, of course they are on a nice, early indexed linked pension themselves?

3 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Who says he doesn't? 

That's a bit harsh 

It,s a snide remark, to say the least!

3 hours ago, clakk said:

Funnily enough ,do her shopping ,pay her phone bill,take her for meals and look after her ,moved to sheltered housing around the corner when dad passed away and dont know what your implications are as you dont know me from adam but you have totally missed the point mr offensive why should over 75,s pay for a tv licence again .Do explain your reasoning

Ignore him, Clakky..

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Have just checked on line 

"The total income from licence fees was £3.8302 billion in 2017–18 of which £655.3 million or 17.1% was provided by the government through concessions for those over the age of 75. Thus, the licence fee made up the bulk (75.7%) of the BBC's total income of£5.0627 billion in 2017–2018."

That,s a total of 92,8%....where did the other 7.2% come from? I believe they received something from the EU....if so, that says a lot about their so-called "impartiality"!

1 hour ago, SpringDon said:

How much are you asking for the house? If you sell it, and donate the money to the BBC, maybe it will help in driving down the fee to the rest of us.  Maybe you could persuade others in the pro-BBC Licence Fee lobby to do the same?  Problem solved!

1 hour ago, pinfireman said:

There is no way that Corbyn,s mob can complain about hostile coverage  at the BBC...they almost bend over to kiss his ring!

😂  😂  Doesn't look like it to me !

That dodges what I said...wether they actually want to leave or not is not the question. The BBC are NOT impartial in this matter, and that is a disgraceful position to take from a broadcaster forever boasting about how even-handed and fair they are..................

Hardly dodges what you said, I fully agreed with you that the BBC are not impartial regarding Brexit !! 

9 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Watch when the BBC have a Corbynite, and a Tory together, either on Marr, Politics Live, or Question Time....the Corbynite is allowed to shout down any opposition, and to take more time speaking (or shouting). We watched several programmes, using a stop watch! What cannot speak, cannot lie!  But what can you expect from a BBC that employs more ex Guardian staff, than from any two other papers combined?  On the Guido Fawkes website, he regularly lists the new additions to the BBC, and where they came from................I don,t expect a Labour supporter to agree with me, but figures speak for themselves. 

It,s a pity no one ever asks the presenters of these News and Current Affairs programmes how they voted in the Referendum, and why?  Be interesting......I wonder how many have holiday homes in the EU?

37 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

Watch when the BBC have a Corbynite, and a Tory together, either on Marr, Politics Live, or Question Time....the Corbynite is allowed to shout down any opposition, and to take more time speaking (or shouting). We watched several programmes, using a stop watch! What cannot speak, cannot lie!  But what can you expect from a BBC that employs more ex Guardian staff, than from any two other papers combined?  On the Guido Fawkes website, he regularly lists the new additions to the BBC, and where they came from................I don,t expect a Labour supporter to agree with me, but figures speak for themselves. 

It,s a pity no one ever asks the presenters of these News and Current Affairs programmes how they voted in the Referendum, and why?  Be interesting......I wonder how many have holiday homes in the EU?

Have you considered contacting the BBC about what you claim above? 

11 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, in the United Kingdom we have our own Laws, oh unless you are the the BBC 

note i need to get a licence as hooked on TV dramas :rolleyes: and who else am i going to shout *****dy fools at when i see the way some MPs behave like that stupid Sir Chope blocking a bill on FGM 

6 hours ago, clakk said:

hello, when my mum lived in sheltered housing i am sure they only required a concessionary licence , now its £7.50 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

14 hours ago, Scully said:

Have you considered contacting the BBC about what you claim above? 

You get the standard reply...."they are impartial, blah, blah, blah!"

14 hours ago, clakk said:

Why would he waste his breath ,you already know complaining to the BBC is like cutting the grass on Salisbury plain with nail scissors ,valid complaints are like piles ,we all know they exist but nobody wants them atb

Correct!

2 hours ago, squirrelhall said:

Pinfireman in your original  post you said BBC collects £3.5  billion from licence fees and 1.5 billion from commercial  revenue I added it up for you.  Mighty prawn said over 75 s are not paying 1/5  of that which is 1 billion

I was quoting what you get when you  access BBC Revenues on Google...............you also get the same from Wiki........also what you get when you check out the BBC,s annual report 2017 / 18. Not my figures, but theirs.

Edited by pinfireman
spelling

21 hours ago, pinfireman said:

I was quoting what you get when you  access BBC Revenues on Google...............you also get the same from Wiki........also what you get when you check out the BBC,s annual report 2017 / 18. Not my figures, but theirs.

That s cleared that up then.  I was  n,t challenging the figures, just thinking more than 1/5 of the nation is over 75 takes some believing  Did n,t realize  you where quoting

On 13/02/2019 at 19:25, Scully said:

Ah well. 

In December 2005, Unsworth appeared on the BBC's Newswatch programme, facing accusations of double standards in BBC News reporting of racial crimes when white people were the victims. Complainants suggested the BBC buried stories such as the racist murder of Kriss Donald, with comparable murders involving black victims given twelve times more coverage and the opening of an arts centre in Gateshead reported in preference to Donald's murder. Unsworh admitted the case had not been covered sufficiently and that there had been space to do so.[6] Her department again failed to cover the case adequately the following year.[7][8] In 2011 BBC News was criticised for referring to looters in the 2011 London riots as "protesters", even two days into the violence.[9] In response to 62 complaints about the matter, Unsworth conceded that the BBC had been wrong to do so.[10]

In November 2012, Unsworth was appointed Acting Director of News after Helen Boaden stepped aside while Nick Pollard prepared his report into the BBC's non-coverage of the burgeoning Jimmy Savile sexual abuse scandal.[11][12] She ceased this role in August 2013 and was appointed Deputy Director of News and Current Affairs.[3] In November 2013, Unsworth was replaced as Head of Newsgathering by Jonathan Munro.[13]

Unsworth was president of the Society of Editors between 2011–12, and is a board member of the organisation.[14][15][16] She is also a board member of the European Union's Erasmus Mundus programme.[17][18]

In August 2014, Unsworth ordered helicopter filming of a police raid on a mansion belonging to Cliff Richard. The coverage led to the singer suing the BBC for breach of privacy.[19] On 8 May 2018 The Guardian reported that, "Sir Cliff Richard is seeking a payment of at least £560,000 from the BBC following the broadcaster’s coverage of a police raid at his home in 2014". In July 2018 Sir Cliff won his case for damages.

I think that says it all about the current BBC Head of News!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran_Unsworth

1 hour ago, pinfireman said:

In December 2005, Unsworth appeared on the BBC's Newswatch programme, facing accusations of double standards in BBC News reporting of racial crimes when white people were the victims. Complainants suggested the BBC buried stories such as the racist murder of Kriss Donald, with comparable murders involving black victims given twelve times more coverage and the opening of an arts centre in Gateshead reported in preference to Donald's murder. Unsworh admitted the case had not been covered sufficiently and that there had been space to do so.[6] Her department again failed to cover the case adequately the following year.[7][8] In 2011 BBC News was criticised for referring to looters in the 2011 London riots as "protesters", even two days into the violence.[9] In response to 62 complaints about the matter, Unsworth conceded that the BBC had been wrong to do so.[10]

In November 2012, Unsworth was appointed Acting Director of News after Helen Boaden stepped aside while Nick Pollard prepared his report into the BBC's non-coverage of the burgeoning Jimmy Savile sexual abuse scandal.[11][12] She ceased this role in August 2013 and was appointed Deputy Director of News and Current Affairs.[3] In November 2013, Unsworth was replaced as Head of Newsgathering by Jonathan Munro.[13]

Unsworth was president of the Society of Editors between 2011–12, and is a board member of the organisation.[14][15][16] She is also a board member of the European Union's Erasmus Mundus programme.[17][18]

In August 2014, Unsworth ordered helicopter filming of a police raid on a mansion belonging to Cliff Richard. The coverage led to the singer suing the BBC for breach of privacy.[19] On 8 May 2018 The Guardian reported that, "Sir Cliff Richard is seeking a payment of at least £560,000 from the BBC following the broadcaster’s coverage of a police raid at his home in 2014". In July 2018 Sir Cliff won his case for damages.

Don't want to derail the thread but Cliffs pursuit of cash from the British public, the very people that paid to make him the very wealthy individual he is, sit's uneasily with me. His pursuit of the BBC is particularly galling given it is also the organisation that was instrumental in creating the image that he says was damaged by its intrusion into his life. 

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

Don't want to derail the thread but Cliffs pursuit of cash from the British public, the very people that paid to make him the very wealthy individual he is, sit's uneasily with me. His pursuit of the BBC is particularly galling given it is also the organisation that was instrumental in creating the image that he says was damaged by its intrusion into his life. 

Possibly so, but the High Court found against the BBC....and the rest of the post was pointing out their "lack" of  neutral, impartial reporting. That, and the fact that they totally ignored the Jimmy Savile abuse claims for years, sits uncomfortably with me. Back in the 70,s, I sang the praises of the Beeb, and it,s honest, investigative reporting. Not now....

2 hours ago, pinfireman said:

Says what though? What do we do with all that? Were there independent investigations into those matters which people complained about, and if so what were the findings? 

I’m entirely on your side, I’m just not sure what point it is you’re trying to make.

I’m not sure the BBC is the only news media outlet which can be held exclusively to blame for the shortcomings of exposing historical sexual predators, and I’m at a loss as to why you included the Cliff Richard story. 

Edited by Scully

3 hours ago, Scully said:

Says what though? What do we do with all that? Were there independent investigations into those matters which people complained about, and if so what were the findings? 

I’m entirely on your side, I’m just not sure what point it is you’re trying to make.

I’m not sure the BBC is the only news media outlet which can be held exclusively to blame for the shortcomings of exposing historical sexual predators, and I’m at a loss as to why you included the Cliff Richard story. 

The Cliff story was part of the article............I believe the article shows the BBC double standards, and makes the point that Unsworth is not  competent. And she does have a link to the EU, which would lead me to think that she has possibly leanings towards Remain...tenuous, maybe, but usually, where there is smoke, there is fire................. As I have pointed out before, over the last 30 months,the BBC has consistently given Remoaners far more air time, and far more credibility than they deserve...