Winchester Sx4 or Franchi Affinity?

cloudwalker

I've had an SX4 Field for 18 months and love it. Well priced, very pointable. It's a great gun for longer necked people as it has a big drop on the stock. This was a main reason I bought as I could never comfortably look down the barrel of my old benelli.

That said, it doesn't feel as well made as the benelli but it's a cheaper gun so kind of expected i suppose. Hopefully it lasts!

The Franchi gets praised by most i have seen with them, and the SX4 looks good vallue but a close friend had a SX3 for 6 years it was getting rough looking so he bought an SX4 in August for the start of the wildfowling season, first day out first of september it jammed , was in pieces on the forshore as geese were flying over him.
 It settled down once it got some work and he used it until November, and on a trip up to Inverness he was talking about how he prefered the old SX3 and the next day on the moray firth first day of the week and first shot it threw its bolt handle out, Ended up managing with it but went after flight and before breakfast to a well know highland gun shop where he traded it in for a second hand Browning 525 Gold duck 3 inch, he finnished the week up there with that loving the 525 and when he got home resorted to using the old SX3 which is as good as it ever was despite battle scars and rust.  If it were me out of those two i would get the Franchi.

Edited by lancer425

I am sure you have made a good decision there, one thing is that mine came with the chokes loose in the box. Not sure that is still the case but if so, I made a choke case as below. The tubes are urine test tubes from local surgery cut to length and joined with some light tube and a washer between. Perfect for you pocket

image.jpeg

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:50, cloudwalker said:

Thanks all. Just been to my local gunsmith and he had both in. Both felt nice and very shootable.

In the end he gave me good deals on both- I went for the Affinity

Welcome to the club, feed it, shoot it, clean it, and most of all enjoy it.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 19:41, Stimo22 said:

I am sure you have made a good decision there, one thing is that mine came with the chokes loose in the box. Not sure that is still the case but if so, I made a choke case as below. The tubes are urine test tubes from local surgery cut to length and joined with some light tube and a washer between. Perfect for you pocket

image.jpeg

Hope you cleaned them out first.