North East newbie

GC1698

Just received my SGC through the door and will be making a purchase in the next couple of weeks.

As all of this is new to me my eyes are knacking from reading as much as possible.

Only been clay shooting a couple of times but would like to try game when/if I get chance.

I was thinking of going straight in for a silver pig or 525 and getting them fitted but with a house move coming up I'm gonna go for a cheap s/s or OU first and get some experience under my belt.

Looking forward to more staying up at night reading through the forum in bed when I should be sleeping 😂

Welcome, there is nothing wrong starting with a cheap gun. Most of us have and over the years gone through more guns than we care to think about. Most of us will regret the guns we sold or didn’t buy. Remember they are all just steel tubes with a bit of wood at the back. More expensive does not mean you will shoot better.

35 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Welcome aboard, you have lots more reading to do.

Whatever you buy, wait until you have a consistent mount before trying to get it fitted to you.

good luck.

Yeah I still find myself in the rifle stance when starting then have to correct myself.

15 minutes ago, gotgcoalman said:

welcome and where abouts in the NE are you?

Don't be put off a cheap double trigger gun.

South shields. So far I've shot at Steve Smith's, going to take a trip up Weldon and bywell either this weekend or next to have a look about.

Never shot with a double trigger but have seen Baikal and other versions of them on guntrader.

31 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Welcome, there is nothing wrong starting with a cheap gun. Most of us have and over the years gone through more guns than we care to think about. Most of us will regret the guns we sold or didn’t buy. Remember they are all just steel tubes with a bit of wood at the back. More expensive does not mean you will shoot better.

Yeah I'm not the best at it to be fair, I seem to be able to nail anything coming toward me but going away I can be useless.

1 hour ago, GC1698 said:

I was thinking of going straight in for a silver pig or 525 and getting them fitted but with a house move coming up I'm gonna go for a cheap s/s or OU first and get some experience under my belt.

Don't jump in, go and try them and make sure they fit, I shot a Silver Pigeon for years (Poorly)  then went over to Browning 525 then 725 and it improved my shooting, there a big difference between Browning and Beretta, some people switch the opposite way but just make sure your comfortable with the gun before you part with your hard earned cash 

4 minutes ago, dazb1967 said:

Don't jump in, go and try them and make sure they fit, I shot a Silver Pigeon for years (Poorly)  then went over to Browning 525 then 725 and it improved my shooting, there a big difference between Browning and Beretta, some people switch the opposite way but just make sure your comfortable with the gun before you part with your hard earned cash 

Cheers for the advice. I'm in no rush, it's tempting once you get the certificate to rush out and buy something, but I haven't had one for 32 years. What's another couple of weeks!

Cheers.

On 13/02/2019 at 08:35, shaun4860 said:

I’m at Bywell almost every Saturday, 

Its a great ground, friendly....good targets and the food is very good 😜

I will get more time to shoot than the people I will shoot with. Is it possible to shoot on your own at Bywell?

Hi and welcome

I deal with both Bywell and Weldon Both very helpfull and friendly

It might be worth while having an hour with the coach at Bywell They will have different guns to try for fit and handling and shoot a few clays with him

Might cost £50 plus but could be money and time  well spent

Weldon too are good especialy if alterations need to be made as they do all work inhouse 

GC of course you can shoot on your own at Bywell, by that I mean you can go up on your own, but we are such a friendly bunch that once you buy your ticket from the shop you will be met by loads of people, waiting to shoot whatever discipline you want, who will be more than happy for you to join in. Saturdays normally are practice days so either 25 Skeet, 25 Sportrap, 50 Sporting, 25 DTL, 25 ABT so just come up, have a look round the shop and tempt yourself with the nice guns in the gunroom (keep out of the side room unless you have deep deep pockets) decide what you want to shoot, buy a ticket and come and enjoy the "fun" 

• 4 weeks later...

So I picked up a 425, I like the gun and have put about a 1000 cartridges through it now.

I am used to cleaning and oiling guns, more rifles but it's pretty easy to figure out how to take care of my new purchase.

What's the best way to clean the stock?

I have found this thread on here 

Which looks like the stock is a varnished wood. Is it best to just get a decent furniture polish?