Sign in to follow this  
spurs 14

Load lugging

Hi all , out of interest what do people use to carry all their gear , nets , magnets , etc , ?        I’ve tried nearly everything and today I think I’ve cracked it bar one  thing to work out ! My answer a surplus 100 lt British army Bergen ! It will hold a large net ,five poles , magnet ant two full size foam decoys , dozen half shells and sticks , a floater , radio , flask and food and today 150 cartridges , it’s a fair weight but once on back it’s easy to walk and comfortable caneither strap shorty to side or as today simple carry ,

ive used holdalls ,trolleys ,wheel barrows you name it some work well but are a pain in the Harris to get in car esp when muddy so far I’m liking the Bergen          The only down side I can see is if you have a big Num of pigeons to get home , today that prob didn’t creep up , the six I got went in a sack and carried out ! 

I have a golden rule and that is I only ever make one trip to the hide position with whatever kit I need. A large bag goes over both arms and onto my back and carries nets, plastic decoys, rotary decoy cradles, food and drink and a three legged stool. In two long carry bags are my hide poles and the rotary plus arms. Then there is my cartridge bag plus gun and if I have dead birds I carry them by hand in a supermarket bag.

If I have to make a number of journeys back to the car after the shooting session it means I have had a good day.

JD your cartridge bag is fairly light by the time you get there as you've dropped half of them on the way

1 minute ago, B725 said:

JD your cartridge bag is fairly light by the time you get there as you've dropped half of them on the way

True. 

Prefer to spread the weight about and load them up one at a time, got a double strap army rucksack for my magnet, fold up seat and two nets, hide pole bag with five poles + fishing brolly and 15 bird sticks, large game bag with food/drink and cartridges and gun slip for my gun.  

If I am half way back to the car and my heart is about to go pop I can drop a few things and have a rest, I would image with all that stuff in one bag it would be a job getting it on your back and putting your arms through the straps.

Plus if I do have a good day on the pigeons I can split the load and make two journeys.  

I use an ex army bergen too .ideal and very comfy for heavy loads .

My dog carries up to 6 pigeon out of the field in his rucksack if needs be. 

Takes a bit of strain off me .

26 minutes ago, JDog said:

I have a golden rule and that is I only ever make one trip to the hide position with whatever kit I need. A large bag goes over both arms and onto my back and carries nets, plastic decoys, rotary decoy cradles, food and drink and a three legged stool. In two long carry bags are my hide poles and the rotary plus arms. Then there is my cartridge bag plus gun and if I have dead birds I carry them by hand in a supermarket bag.

If I have to make a number of journeys back to the car after the shooting session it means I have had a good day.

One of the heavy bit's of kit is the battery , I have got a small one that last for about 3 hrs , my big one that last all day is a fair bit of weight by itself , so if I had to walk any distance then I take 

1 small battery , Magnet , the arms go in the poles bag along with one floater , Two boxes of cartridges , 12 flocked shell decoys with plastic spikes , 4 lightweight adjustable poles , 2  2,ply 5 mt long nets , Fold up seat , Cradles and Three dead pigeons .

If I am lucky enough to fire the two boxes of shells , I will take the dead ones back to the motor and bring a few cartridges back if I intend to stay , if not , take a few bits back along with the dead pigeons so I can manage the rest in one go on the return journey.   

10 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I use an ex army bergen too .ideal and very comfy for heavy loads .

My dog carries up to 6 pigeon out of the field in his rucksack if needs be. 

Takes a bit of strain off me .

So you make your dog carry all the birds you have shot :whistling:

Thats if im luck to shoot even 6 at the moment. 

Just now, dipper said:

Hope he’s well rewarded😸😸

You know thats a cat picture right. ? 

My cat is actually grey .

I’m with you with the land rover but there’s a few places I can’t drive too , hundred yard walk , just found another bonus of the Bergen once it’s emptied and bits cleaned up battery charged cartridges replaced it can be repacked and is ready to go , all in one place  just grab throw in defender and go ! 

You might have got him a camo one, looks like he’s ready for the school run

Love the picture. :good:

Edited by old'un

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Prefer to spread the weight about and load them up one at a time, got a double strap army rucksack for my magnet, fold up seat and two nets, hide pole bag with five poles + fishing brolly and 15 bird sticks, large game bag with food/drink and cartridges and gun slip for my gun.  

If I am half way back to the car and my heart is about to go pop I can drop a few things and have a rest, I would image with all that stuff in one bag it would be a job getting it on your back and putting your arms through the straps.

Plus if I do have a good day on the pigeons I can split the load and make two journeys.  

That have to be taken into consideration , the weight , it's alright putting everything into a large bag but the hard bit for me would be lifting it off the ground .

We have already had a thread in the past about lifting a sack of dead pigeons , but I would say someone with good health and fairly strong could lift a sack of 50+ , as I got older towards my 60s it was cut down to 40 , now in my 70s I find 30 / 35 is enough .

One advantage about having more time is you have got the time to take two small loads instead of one big one and risking an injury .

I bought a second hand carp fishing trolley on ebay about six years ago for £10 and it has been used as a range trolley (regularly) and about a dozen other uses "as and when"

13 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I bought a second hand carp fishing trolley on ebay about six years ago for £10 and it has been used as a range trolley (regularly) and about a dozen other uses "as and when"

Have tried the trolley route, even fitted extra large wheels to it and it worked ok from the field gate going across a flat field when it was frozen solid but going across a bumpy field or one that was muddy was not easy work, especially when the wheels ended up twice the size and shaped like a fifty pence piece, it was even harder pulling the thing uphill with 5lb or 6lb of mud on the wheels, give up with it in the end.

I had a couple of trolleys as mentioned they are great in summer or frozen ground , but mud or ploughed fields forget them , were in Suffolk and where we is is a heavy clay soil you cam imagine what that is like when wet , no for the time being it’s the Bergen for me ! 

Tried the barrow route before and found the single wheel a little easier especially in the tram lines and tight field margins than a double wheel rig.

Due to unwelcome campers most of my permissions have blocked field entrances so I got rid of the juicy landy and narrowed my kit down to rucksacks for walking , one semi light weight with thinish ex tent fibre break down poles modified and a light net n clips , small ally seat, 12 silo decoys, 60 cartridges (more in the car) homemade light bouncer, flapper, light weight homemade rotary for silo's, other small odds and bods as felt needed on the day.

The other rucksack and fuller kit when it is possible to drive the target field when shooting 2 up.

Still not mega lightweight for a 70 year old cranky bod guy  but I can manage without an oxygen bottle . ( ok most days  ) 😉

P.S If anyone local wants the ex working golf trolly motor assembly on the frame as further up this article its gonna hit the skip soon so best move quickly.

Never used one but often thought about a golf trolley as long as its walking up headlands paths with few ditches to cross should do the job and folds up in the boot of even a small car.